Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:00 pm 
Merchant

Thanked 1 time for this post.
2,050 total thanks.
Say thanks

I don't think that video technology will make an appearance in football. The means to do so has been rejected time upon time, and during a season some of those decisions go for you, and sometimes they go against you.
The chance to call for a video playback during the game would just lead to time wasting. Other sports are structured differently, from Cricket to US Football and Baseball. These sports have the oppurtunity to have small breaks to review whta's just happened, footie would just be a mess and drag out to long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:23 pm 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
303 total thanks.
Say thanks

thats what they said about all the other sports too.

its going to happen, just a matter of when. and i'm not saying for every call. just on things that overturn goals, since there is already an interruption in play. this is the only time they use such in hockey, same thing with baseball (homerun or not calls)

and no offense, but using the arguement about time wasting in futbal/soccer/whatever is an invalid one considering all of the dives and other things in that realm that waste time already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:48 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Er, may I draw your attention to a certain World Cup Final game in 1966. There's still debate over whether England's goal was over the line or not. That was a huge call in the final of the tournament, 44 years later & still no goal line technology. Doesn't really matter what "people" think, if FIFA don't want it then it's not gonna happen.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:36 pm 
Merchant

2,050 total thanks.
Say thanks

It's not going to happen.
Let's take for example Skrtel's goal line clearence from the Italians, now let's say that they make a break from that move, 1 on 1, just the goalie to beat, but hang on the game has been stopped to see if it was a goal or not. It wasn't, but the advantage has been lost.
The only time it should be used is in retracting yellow/red cards where the ref has made a mistake or missed a violent piece of play by a player.
As I said before, other sports that use the tech are stop/start affairs, seeing if a ball was in or out in tennis is completely different to seeing if a ball crosses or does not cross in a game of football. As soon as you create the caveat that you can see if the ball crossed the line by making a call, it will be abused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:25 pm 
Knight

303 total thanks.
Say thanks

no its going to happen, just a matter of time. if general public can see clear mistakes so easily and the media will make such a big deal of said mistakes, at some point, those voices will be too loud to ignore.

again, i said only employ such on goals disallowed, goals that should be disallowed (for instance hand of God goal) or perhaps on a missed goal call if a regular stoppage in play coincides with it. might work on pk calls in the box too, to see if a penalty actually happened (read that as some loser takes a dive and a pk is awarded when it should not have been.)

when a sport has such a premium on scoring, there will be a point when the public and media outcries to make sure the most correct calls are happening for these goals has a voice that is too loud to ignore.

not sure when this will be, but it will happen. i just hope its sooner rather than later. thank goodness it didn't bite the USA in the ass, as this very thing could have made them miss the knockout round, as opposed to winning their group. so thank you landon donovan...and i bet FIFA thinks the same thing (thanks landon), as perhaps the voices for change might have been loud enough had he not scored that goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:51 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Everyone has been able to see that wrong decisions are being made for years now but nothing has changed. The loudest voices are usually the ones getting the rough end of the stick so it's just sour grapes. Every team gets bad calls against them, fact of life, get over it.

And you're putting way too much importance on Donovan's goal. Italy, a far far bigger football nation than the USA, went out partially due to a borderline offside call. What happened? Nothing, result stood. If the USA had gone out same thing would have happened.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:13 pm 
Merchant

2,050 total thanks.
Say thanks

We will have to agree to disagree.
Sepp Blatter, Lord of all that is FIFA has said (May 2009), that there will be no new technology introduced "So that football can remain a game for human beings". And until he his ousted it's not going to change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:46 pm 
Knight

303 total thanks.
Say thanks

no offense, but there are alot more people with more outlets to say whatever than there used to be when using past references as an example.

and sepp blatter is 74, you say that as if he'll be in power with FIFA until the end of days. at most, he has 5 years left.

and judging by his wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepp_Blatter

...he's been through enough controversies to where, if another one hits (like supposedly a backroom deal with UEFA so 2018 is in europe), he might not make it come next election time.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:43 am 
Merchant

2,050 total thanks.
Say thanks

volzzilla wrote:
no offense, but there are alot more people with more outlets to say whatever than there used to be when using past references as an example.

Can you clarify?

It would likely that Blatter hasn't already chosen his own successor should he retire or be ousted, but old "Teflon" Blatter, along with Jack Warner have survive enough scandels and are still around today to cream money through FIFA. The introduction of new technology will be heralded when someone in FIFA can make money of it themselves, they will not introduce it just because a goal may or may not have stood. All teams get dodgy decisions, sometimes for, sometimes against, it meant to even itself out.

And even with video, Skrtels save (or not) has still not been resolved because from every angle the ball has been obscured. And again the sports you mentioned before all move to a different tempo to soccer and it's easier to call.

Perhaps if the MLS were to trial for a season and get it to work the perhaps FIFA would look at it seriously, but I doubt they could effectivly get it to work with reducing the game to stopping every 5 minutes due to a minor dispute, for example today Chilli got a goal kick instead of Spain getting a corner, and this type of thing can happen several times a game if there's a lot of bodies in the box.

As I said, we will have to agree to disagree, but if it's introduce by the next World Cup then I'll get a tattoo of Alex Ferguson on my arse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:03 am 
Knight

303 total thanks.
Say thanks

apparently you missed where i said do not review everything. and no where did i say it'd be in the next world cup either.

i said just review things that may impact the score or a penalty kick on bogus flops if there is already been a whistle blown. so in the case of your goal kick/corner kick, or the ball and the goaline, things like that back to human judgement.

the sports i mentioned before do not review everything, so having a limited scope such as that would follow that model.

as for clarification, its about many more media outlets and how the internet and social networking have made it to where anything gets that much more of a focus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:44 am 
Merchant

2,050 total thanks.
Say thanks

I wasn't stating that you did say it would be in the next World Cup, I was trying to show the unlikelyhood of the tech being introduced.

Media outlets and te internet have campaigned for many things over the years, usually they only succeed in getting things through if it contains an element of fear, so unless video technology in football can spot a pedo, none of those outlets will be taken too seriously by the powers that be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:51 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

USA 1 - 2 Ghana

Honestly didn't see that one coming. During the 2nd half I thought the USA were going to run up an embarrassing score as they were so much on top.

Bit bizarre the way things turned out. I'd have said that the USA would have had a more favourable match up against Germany & the same for England over Ghana. Now just got to hope that we aren't on our way home by this time tomorrow as well.

Also, called this one spot on (for a change):

Spaced wrote:
CactusFunk wrote:
Spain v Portugal for the final (haven't actually worked out if that's possible)

A quick look at my handy dandy wallchart says possible but unlikely. They'll probably face off in the first knockout round - Group G Runner-up (Portugal) vs. Group H Winners (Spain)

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:38 pm 
Knight

464 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm glad the U.S. lost. i can now stop hearing about how great the World Cup from people who never gave a shit about Soccer before.

Surely fortune favors you, and the men I spared. Enjoy it.
But before you wash your hands of my father's blood, I would encourage you to reflect on what brought us to this point:
You sacrificed honor for expediency. You traded intent for quick action. You were wrong . . and we all suffered for it.
So do better now mortal man . . for if not I, then surely some god somewhere will someday find you wanting.
It would be a shame to wager your good fortune with folly.

The God of Fear.
Son of War. '

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:28 am 
Knight

321 total thanks.
Say thanks

Quote:
I'm glad the U.S. lost. i can now stop hearing about how great the World Cup from people who never gave a shit about Soccer before.

Its terrible when people take up new interests.
sry, I just had too :P

but im glad Africa still has a team in the world cup, Ghana probably wont win, but anything can happend :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:18 pm 
Knight

771 total thanks.
Say thanks

Well, another call for goal line technology now, this time from England. However it musn't overshadow the fact that England just weren't good enough on the day, or even in the tournament overall.

Hopefully Argentina v Mexico can cheer me up.

Profile WWW  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next