Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: why do marvel writers just make crap up and ignoe canon
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:50 pm 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
59 total thanks.
Say thanks

case in point during fear itself event tony stark band a bunch of dwaeves made some kickass super melee weapons powered by replusor tech and odins blessing .
now these weapons were disperesed t a team of heroes red she hulk got a big arse sword and she alone kept her weapon rest were melted down for scrap well at start of her new series it was lost now it has been found in possesion of tesla and the orginal shield claimed they created it cand a shield for their chossen avatar wthwe know tony stark made the sword so whats going on here?

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject: Re: why do marvel writers just make crap up and ignoe canon
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:07 am 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

do you type your posts at gunpoint ? slow down and use a comma from time to time

that's the problem with most comic fans,we tend to forget that comics are written by lots of folks,each one with their own vision,and not a single person,so contradictions will occur more often than you think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:29 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

1) because they can, people seem to buy stuff regardless
2) continuity only becomes a thing when they can hype the crap out of the fact that they are using it

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:53 pm 
Knight

549 total thanks.
Say thanks

Spaced wrote:
1) because they can, people seem to buy stuff regardless
2) continuity only becomes a thing when they can hype the crap out of the fact that they are using it

^this... says it all.

I used to really pay attention but long ago I saw the wisdom in Joe Quesada's statement on continuity... basically, Marvel tells stories and they can be puzzle-pieced later to fit some larger sequential epic. I'll give credit to a lot of writer, most at least try to explain how the story they are telling is congruent with what happened previously or at least is possible. That or they are allowed to retcon something out of existence if it is just too much of a hurdle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:21 pm 
Squire

24 total thanks.
Say thanks

Yeah, there is some leisure that I feel should be given because a character can be written by plenty of people, and they all wish to take them in a different-ish direction with sometimes having a slightly different characterization. Mostly for the reason that they have a story they want to tell. Not always, but it happens.

Some people respect a writer's previous work, while others more-or-less just ignore it. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it isn't. I try to make it a point to never read some things as one giant story because most of the time they aren't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:58 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

It's a lot easier to just let stuff slide. If you completely bogged down in continuity issues, then you'll never be able to fully appreciate a good story, even if some previous stories are contradicted. Many writers tell the stories that they want to tell, plain and simple as that. If they all stuck to what everyone has done in the past, new readers would be even fewer and you'd have to read up on every last little thing a character has done in over 40+ years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:33 pm 
Serf

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I hear what people are saying in terms of continuity - but some writers are negligent when it comes to certain facts!
The current Wolvering series arc 'Killable'. Paul Cornell has written a good story, however during the storyline, it is basically stated that Logan is useless without his healing factor. And is getting beat up by every Tom Dick and Ninja - EXCUSE ME - Logan is not only a trained Samurai, but also former Black Ops / Secret Service /Spy / Soldier.
He's always been one of the combat teachers at Xaviers School.
Overlooking such a simple fact is quite poor to be honest!!
BAMF! :shazam: :nightcrawler: :shazam:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:21 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Surely, writers have researched any object, lack of object, scenery, or whatever they intend to use before writing it in? I think it's lazy to allow for glaring continuity errors. Surely there's a standard, 'you're writing for this character, here's some do's and dont's"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:13 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

A lot of it seems to be just writing in the now. Like the writer saying "I want to do this" and the editor letting them run with it. I'm sure there's plenty of contradictory & far out ideas that get vetoed for a variety of reasons but a fair amount seem to still make it to print.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:35 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Lex Talionis wrote:
do you type your posts at gunpoint ? slow down and use a comma from time to time

I have used some very poor grammar in my time but this was the best thing I've read in weeks.

Regarding the OP: Marvel seems to be suffering from a serious loss in continuity. This happened to DC in the early 80s and the publisher suffered because if it. I understand that there are only so many ways the Fantastic Four can have a story with Doctor Doom. That said, you do not throw away decades of story telling to sell this months issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:47 am 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

I have been thinking over the nature of continuity a fair bit over the last few months especially in regards to storylines in Avengers books and all Wolverine related stuff. There are so many Avengers books out there at the moment that it has got to be difficult to keep everything in relation.

In fact it seems like, to help avoid running into too many continuity issues, each book has veered off with time or space related stories that can run separate to everything else going on. Examples are the Uncanny Avengers Apocalypse twins storyline (recently brought back into present time), Avengers and New Avengers with the 8 months later storylines (not sure how these are going to tie into regular continuity). Avengers World just spun out a long story arc which to a point has avoided the worry of continuity issues.

I guess when it comes to continuity all writers play a little hard and fast with what can be considered canon and what isn't. However, I'm sure that there are basic rules which must be adhered to e.g. Old Steve, Dead Logan, etc. (curious to see what will happen with Havok's face moving forward).

It is incredibly difficult to keep minor continuity straight when you have so many writers on so many different stories, it was so much easier in the old days as there was not so much crossover. I like to think that most things are being done right, you just have to avoid going too deeply under the microscope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:36 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Another thing that bugs me is the "everything is happening now in universe, but not necessarily at the same time you're reading it" line they keep trotting out.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:59 pm 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

It definitely does make it difficult to figure out what is happening and when. It's like a big cosmic jigsaw puzzle!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:44 am 
Knight

59 total thanks.
Say thanks

well i has really gotten hard to read marvel stories lately iron man gort a superior douche upgrade thor a chick and all now word is they cancelling ff to mess with foxes new movie and they kill wolled wolvie to mess with fox also wth if that is the case is it some lame brain at disney doing this if so he needs to be fired immediately

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:48 pm 
Serf

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Micworx wrote:
I hear what people are saying in terms of continuity - but some writers are negligent when it comes to certain facts!
The current Wolvering series arc 'Killable'. Paul Cornell has written a good story, however during the storyline, it is basically stated that Logan is useless without his healing factor. And is getting beat up by every Tom Dick and Ninja - EXCUSE ME - Logan is not only a trained Samurai, but also former Black Ops / Secret Service /Spy / Soldier.
He's always been one of the combat teachers at Xaviers School.
Overlooking such a simple fact is quite poor to be honest!!
BAMF! :shazam: :nightcrawler: :shazam:

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this! The series is good, but Logan got hit with the nerf bat one time too many. It kinda killed it for me.

Back to the original topic, having multiple writers is no excuse for glaring plot holes and improvisations. I also feel that some of the "big" ones (I won't name names) don't really care anymore, so long as it's their name on the cover and they get to do what they please with the story.