Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Who is better Metallica or Megadeath?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:38 am 
Knight

Thanked 3 times for this post.
2,954 total thanks.
Say thanks

who has the edge over who

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:07 am 
Squire

18 total thanks.
Say thanks

metallica for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:39 pm 
Knight

Thanked 4 times for this post.
2,954 total thanks.
Say thanks

i agree metallica is my personal best

Post subject: Re: who is better mattalica or megadeath
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:41 pm 
Knight

1,568 total thanks.
Say thanks

until 90 metallica, after that megadeath. at least they stayed as a thrash metal band.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:07 pm 
Squire

13 total thanks.
Say thanks

Megadeth for the win :)

Early Metallica was good, but that was mainly to do with Cliff Burton. Plus only one ego in Megadeth, where as Metallica=Large Ego.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:12 am 
Squire

69 total thanks.
Say thanks

Metallica was the introduction of thrash metal to the mainstream, but as with most things mainstream, they were never the better band. i'm not knocking them because they have a lot of great stuff, but no Metallica album even touches Megadeth's "Rust In Peace".

Both bands have managed to come out the musically dark times of the 90's, and have put out KILLER new albums.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:32 am 
Knight

10,322 total thanks.
Say thanks

I would say Metallica but that would be an unbiased answer since I honestly have never listened to Megadeth.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:58 am 
Squire

Thanked 5 times for this post.
69 total thanks.
Say thanks

yeah, listen to "Rust In Peace", "Countdown To Extinction", and "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?" and you'll see what i mean. Metallica is good, but after Cliff Burton died it all went downhill (as far as metal goes. the black album was a horrible metal album, but was a pretty decent hard rock record).

another band from that era that IMO is better than Metallica but is often overlooked is Testament. the good thing about that band is that they never put out a bad album. every single one is awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:13 am 
Squire

86 total thanks.
Say thanks

Oh man, this is a tough one for me. I love both of them almost equally. >_< But I've got to agree with people who said that Megadeth at least stuck to its roots unlike Metallica, change can be good, but Metallica's experimentation just isn't working like it should...Megadeth's old stuff is amazing and I'm liking some of their new stuff as well, unlike Metallica's St. Anger (which I avoided like a plague because of all the bad reviews) as well as Death Magnetic, which I think is them going back to metal but not the metal they used to do but the new era kind...So, for now Megadeth has won me over but I love Metallica just as equally. lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:23 am 
Squire

18 total thanks.
Say thanks

I love both bands and really don't understand the either or hatred that some others seem to have for these bands. As someone who has equal parts Hetfield and Mustain (along with Cantrell and Pepper Kennan) in his playing style I enjoy and respect both bands.

I have to disagree with Megadeth staying true to their roots argument as the albums between Countdown and the last couple were not what I consider Megadeth.

I think I have to come down on the side of Metallica as I consider Lightning, Master, and Justice as some of the finest metal albums of all time while with Megadeth I'd put Rust (of course) and probably countdown up there but the other stuff IMO is at least a half of step below for the better and much lower for some of the others.

I like early Testament but can't stand black metal screaming and stuff in that vein so I've stayed away from their later stuff as I understand that's the path they went down.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:40 am 
Squire

132 total thanks.
Say thanks

I love both bands, and if I had to choose I would always choose Megadeth. Even the more "commercial" Megedeth music is hardly sell out material. You could argue their most successful song is Peace Sells thanks to MTV News.

I still think Hetfield and Ulrich are great and Metallica deserves their success however, lets not forget they basically betrayed Mustaine in the beginning. Dave wrote most of their early music, and even though he is given credit on the albums it had to burn him rather deeply to be "let go."

Personally, as a guitar player. Dave is way better than Kirk could ever hope to be. :)

Speaking of bands that get "left out of people's lists." Lets not forget the almighty Slayer. Even if you don't like what they have to say. There is little argument about their skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:59 pm 
Squire

Thanked 5 times for this post.
137 total thanks.
Say thanks

Metallica for sure. I love Megadeth as well but I'm really into the whole epic song structure thing and Metallica have always gone more for that.

If Metallica really wanted to "sell out" they'd have to make "Master Of Puppets" over and over again because I'm very hard pressed to even recall anybody who likes (or will admit to it) anything they've done since that album.

I also don't think that Metallica's experimentation would have been such a big deal if they hadn't reached the plateau of popularity that they have. I think they suffer more from having a magnifying glass over every thing they do. There are tons of bands that have gone through much more dramatic changes over the years (Amorphis, Tiamat, Bathory, etc.) that aren't causing anywhere near the same amount of debate because they never became a household name thanks to having a hit album.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:38 pm 
Squire

43 total thanks.
Say thanks

Well, Metallica became bigger than Megadeth, but not necessarily better. We can't forget that Dave Mustaine (Megadeth) was a member of Metallica in 1982/83 and he wrote some of Metallica's best material at the time. Despite the fact he never recorded with Metallica (he was replaced by Kirk Hammett just before "Kill'em All") he is still credited in the "Ride The Lightning" album of 1984. Metallica were more lucky, maybe. In 1986 they were choosen to open for Ozzy Osborne while Megadeth were still trying to find a stable line-up that only came in the nineties. By then Metallica were already a huge sucess worldwide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:34 pm 
Knight

243 total thanks.
Say thanks

Metallica for me. Only albums by them that I didn't like all that much were Load and Reload. (Two failures that can be explained in two words: Bob Rock.) Their newest album is pure freaking awesome. "Cyanide", "All Nightmare Long", etc., are examples of some truly great music. I enjoy Megadeth, but I've never been a huge fan. United Abominations is pretty damn good though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:20 am 
Squire

34 total thanks.
Say thanks

RIDE THE LIGHTENING!