Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What instrument do you play?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:56 pm 
Marquis

Thanked 0 times for this post.
1,267 total thanks.
Say thanks

This past weekend I asked my boyfriend to teach me how to play the guitar, and now I'm sitting pretty on eight chords :D, and one song (okay...maybe two). But, before I decided to swing into the universe of the most overplayed instrument in the world, I was a die-hard cellist.

I've been playing for thirteen years now, and I'd consider myself squarely in-between intermediate and advanced (cello teachers tend to be obnoxiously hard to find once you start getting good at it...).

What instrument do you play, how long have you played, what type of music do you like to play, and where do you go to find your music?

^_^

Bonus points if you have an audio file we can listen to!

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:10 am 
Knight

621 total thanks.
Say thanks

congrats on your new venture! and also a thumbs up for your more familiar weapon of choice - the cello's a beautiful instrument.

I'm teaching a work colleague at the moment. he's coming along ok, and considers me a good teacher, which helps. keep trying to ram home to him the importance of practice! :wink:

I would never call the guitar overplayed. just... popular. what some 'guitarists' do with it? that's another matter entirely. but it's an instrument that at least deserves its popularity, unlike some I could mention...

*cough*ukelele*cough*

theadirondackcoyote wrote:
What instrument do you play?

my general rule of thumb is, if I can figure out how it works? I can play it. I play principally by ear, so as long as I can get a sound out of it, I'll give it a go.

above all else, I'm a guitarist, which is what I'm most comfortable on and do the majority of my songwriting on. but I also use the piano a fair bit in that department, too, so... eh.

how long have you played?

been playing since I was a kid - first started playing piano and guitar at around... ten? eleven, maybe? properly got into music when I was in my teens, and ended up just teaching myself how to play from there on out. my sister plays sax, my grandfather was an accomplished organist, my better half used to play violin... I'm fortunate that it's just always been around me.

what type of music do you like to play?

depends on the instrument, really. and moreso the environment - I've played in several bands, and with several different styles of musician. in terms of my own stuff, I'd best describe it as lo-fi acoustic folky... stuff. Elliott Smith and Suzanne Vega are my biggest personal influences, so make of that what you will.

and where do you go to find your music?

not quite sure what you mean by this. as in... to play? or to listen to and enjoy in general?

when I lived in the States, I'd often go to open mic nights and the like. either to play, or just to enjoy those on stage. since moving back to London... not so much. woking every night doesn't leave room for much else.

as to the audio request... I'm tempted, but I'm also wary. I've experienced the ugly side of plagiarism first hand before (admittedly with prose, not music), so... eh.

not so long ago I wrote a piano piece to accompany a friend's comic (that she hopes to turn into a motion comic some day... eventually), so I may post that some time. maybe. *shrug* we'll see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:21 am 
Marquis

1,267 total thanks.
Say thanks

Wow cool! ^_^ What I meant by "where do you find your music" I mean, do you go to music stores, or do you have websites like imslp.org or ultimate-guitar.com etc.?

I like playing more modern music, but I also like playing bach. I'm getting ready to transpose a Rachmaninov piano piece onto my cello because I like him so much too ^__^;;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:55 am 
Knight

621 total thanks.
Say thanks

ah, gotcha!

well... truth be told... I go to my head. as I said, I play by ear. so if I want to play something by another composer (i.e. not me)... I'll just listen to it. and work it out m'self.

I don't really read music. used to, when I was a kid. and I can follow it fine, if I'm playing with others and we're doing something from a sheet (not that I've actually done that in a few years, now, but still).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:38 am 
Marquis

1,267 total thanks.
Say thanks

When I was looking up chords for Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright I was really irritated to find all the chords messed up and not completely finished. I ended up doing it from ear from there - first time ever. Usually playing by ear is pretty helpful I'll agree to that. It's really sad to be a musician whose tone-deaf though...I know quite a few who are. It amazes me. :shock:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:46 am 
Knight

621 total thanks.
Say thanks

Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright

*ahem* Leonard Cohen. :wink:

It's really sad to be a musician whose tone-deaf though...I know quite a few who are. It amazes me. :shock:

I... don't really understand. I don't see how the two could ever be synonymous. surely if one is truly tone-deaf, then... they couldn't be a musician. :shrug:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:25 am 
Marquis

1,267 total thanks.
Say thanks

This girl I know, she plays the most complicated guitar parts I've ever heard/seen. But she just memorizes finger patterns. She can't tell if she's out or anything, she just memorizes finger patterns. Mind like a butterfly too, she can't focus on anything group oriented and is a constant solo act. It's horrible. <_<

And idk, I'm not a big fan of Cohen's piece. :shrug:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:08 pm 
Knight

621 total thanks.
Say thanks

:shock:

that just sounds... ridiculous. I'd be hard pressed to actually call such a person a 'musician'. they're not 'playing'... if anything, they're just faking it.

and Cohen's awesome. I'm not a fan of Hallelujah as a song in general (far from it, tbh), but I can at least raise an amused eyebrow at his original. Rufus (who I'm also a fan of)'s version is just a cover of a cover, at the end of the day.

damn song. I blame Buckley. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:24 am 
Marquis

1,267 total thanks.
Say thanks

To be honest all i've heard is cohen sing hallelujah, and I didn't like it as much as Wainwright's. It's a cover, but it's well done.

I'd agree with you on the faking it part though - that's for sure.