Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Vinyl albums making a come back?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:22 pm 
Knight

Thanked 3 times for this post.
10,322 total thanks.
Say thanks

I don't know how it is for you people who live in other countries but over here in the U.S. I feel vinyl albums are making there come back cause I have noticed some bands and singers have made there music available also on vinyl albums. To me I kind of like the come back cause I like vinyl albums for some reason kind of reminds of the time when music was only available on vinyl albums. So what do you guys think of the come back of vinyl albums?

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:29 pm 
Count

Thanked 2 times for this post.
3,874 total thanks.
Say thanks

there's been many music experts that says that vinyl is the best recording medium.
In Cds and tapes the music is digitized, and some.. i think they called it tonal quality... is lost.

so, if you really appreciate music, vinyl is the way to go.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:40 pm 
Knight

10,322 total thanks.
Say thanks

I agree with you and since the come back I have bought a couple of vinyl albums well only two so far a Misfits one and this vinyl album that has two song from the movie The Watchmen on it. I am in the process of trying to get a record player but I been short on money to get one so far. And also even though it may seem like I wll be buying lots of vinyl I will still get cds for bands that may not have there music on vinyl and also so I can listen to the music on the go. Pretty much my vinyl music will be my at home music and cds will be my to go music. Anyways pulse you talked about the audio quality vinyl has but what are your thoughts on its come back?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:49 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

S.H.I.E.L.D. wrote:
a Misfits one

Very good choice :)

Don't think vinyl will make a full blown comeback, maybe just as a short lived retro trend.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:03 pm 
Knight

10,322 total thanks.
Say thanks

well I am gonna try to make it more then short lived by trying to get as much vinyl albums of bands I like that I can afford.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:06 pm 
Count

3,874 total thanks.
Say thanks

S.H.I.E.L.D. wrote:
I agree with you and since the come back I have bought a couple of vinyl albums well only two so far a Misfits one and this vinyl album that has two song from the movie The Watchmen on it. I am in the process of trying to get a record player but I been short on money to get one so far. And also even though it may seem like I wll be buying lots of vinyl I will still get cds for bands that may not have there music on vinyl and also so I can listen to the music on the go. Pretty much my vinyl music will be my at home music and cds will be my to go music. Anyways pulse you talked about the audio quality vinyl has but what are your thoughts on its come back?

i think it'll be a short lived trend, except for diehard music fans, vinyl faded away for a reason. Most people go for ease of use anymore.

And like you pointed out, most of what you can find on vinyl is older.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:36 pm 
King

11,665 total thanks.
Say thanks

Sadly this is the iPod generation. Vinyl does not easily lend itself to music on the go and will never make a full come back.

That is a sad fact.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:21 am 
Knight

10,322 total thanks.
Say thanks

CactusFunk wrote:
Sadly this is the iPod generation. Vinyl does not easily lend itself to music on the go and will never make a full come back.

That is a sad fact.

well you are right about it bein an ipod or mp3 player in short its the era of downloading music to a portable device soon cds will be the past like vinyl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:16 am 
Squire

43 total thanks.
Say thanks

I think vinyl will never come back. Some kids have never even bought music on CD, so vinyl for them is something like with a 100 yeras or so. But I agree, I prefered the vinyl sound. The first time I recorded a CD to a cassette and then played it on a walkman I felt disappointed. The sound was hollow and distant, not concentrated and pleasant like the cassettes I recorded from vinyl records. Digital came to stay and we can't do anything about it. It's like photography or comic books! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:17 pm 
Squire

45 total thanks.
Say thanks

Seems like it will always be a niche/cult thing; there will always be artists who want to cater to that crowd. We have an artist at work who is re-releasing his catalog, just for the hell of it. He collects vinyl, and so he prefers to have his music available in that medium. Its all personal preference...

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:09 pm 
Knight

444 total thanks.
Say thanks

Vinyl recordings are the best! I studied two years of sound engineering at college, and that was one of things taught, Vinyl (which is analog sound, not digital) is the best quality of sound. I was recording some tracks at a mates studio, and when he mixes, he puts it through an analog compressor (without compressing) to give it a more anolog quality feel! :D

But CF is right, it's the iPod generation. Only the real music buffs who want top quality will get the vinyl recordings, which is kinda sad... But its good to hear that vinyl records havn't completely died out :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:34 pm 
Knight

10,322 total thanks.
Say thanks

I think vinyl sort of is still alive cause its vintage and people like stuff like that. And its nice that you can go out and get a vinyl record of one of your fav. bands and play it I bet if we played the vinyl record version and played the album version we might find some differences in sound since people say vinyl records sound better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:41 pm 
Squire

20 total thanks.
Say thanks

I love my vinyls, and I'm pretty sure they love me too. Vinyl is getting some form of comeback and I hope it will last. Why look at (and read) a lousy cd booklet, when you can fondle a glorious gatefold lp cover, while your 180 g vinyl is spinning?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:58 pm 
Serf

6 total thanks.
Say thanks

I still have around 700 vinyl elpees and thinking about buying a good old vinylplayer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:58 pm 
Squire

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Vinyl makes you appreciate the music more. On an iPod you can switch a song whenever you get bored of it, so the value of it is gone. A lot of vinyl albums were made to be listened to in order. The artists used to put a lot of work into making a cohesive whole out of an album (including songs, song order, and album artwork). You lose a lot of that on an iPod or even on a CD sometimes. Having to get up and physically change and flip the record makes you more invested in what's playing. Plus, it really does sound better. It's warmer, it isn't compressed, and the occasional crack from the vinyl is awesome.