So? Reboot or not after Secret Wars?

Discuss all things Image
art4899
Knight
Favourite Hero: Iron Man
Where did you hear about us?: Told by a friend

So? Reboot or not after Secret Wars?

Post by art4899 »

I don't think so but there will definitely be some kind of big change to the MU. What do you all think?

Lex Talionis
Duke
Where did you hear about us?: Other

Re: So? Reboot or not after Secret Wars?

Post by Lex Talionis »

Marvel has been playing the "New Coke" gimmick for many years "THIS EVENT WILL CHANGE EVERYTHIIIIIIIIING NO GOING BACK!!! CAPTAIN AMERICA IS DEAD! GREEN GOBLIN IS HEAD OF LAW ENFORCEMENT! CYCLOPS IS EVIL! AND DOC OCK IS SPIDER-MAN!"

Spaced
Duke
Favourite Hero: Captain Britain

Post by Spaced »

Can't see a reboot, really not Marvel's style.

More likely to get a few retcons and a slew of titles relaunching with new #1s in September to try and pull some sales away from DC's annual big month.

acelister
Duke
Favourite Hero: Deadpool
Where did you hear about us?: Link from another forum or webpage

Post by acelister »

The next time I read "Everything changes!" or "Shakes the status quo!", Peter Parker had better lose an arm.

The last event that changed everything was, to DC's credit, Flashpoint.

acelister
Duke
Favourite Hero: Deadpool

Re: So? Reboot or not after Secret Wars?

Post by acelister »

Well, reboot...

Code: Select all

http://www.newsarama.com/23276-the-marvel-universe-is-ending.html
During a live "Secret Wars Kick-Off" press event at New York City's Midtown Comics, Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso and Senior Vice President of Publishing and Executive Editor Tom Brevoort confirmed that the eight-issue series Secret Wars will represent the end of both the Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Universe.

Saying that the mainstream Marvel Universe and Ultimate Universe would "smash together" during the upcoming Secret Wars crossover event, Alonso and Brevoort went on to elaborate that, by the time Secret Wars #1 hits the stands, every world in Marvel's multiverse will be destroyed, with pieces of each forming Battleworld, the staging ground for the Secret Wars storyline

Spaced
Duke
Favourite Hero: Captain Britain

Post by Spaced »

Still not seeing reboot, retcons a plenty yes, but not reboot.

Either way it's the perfect jumping off point for me (not that I was buying much Marvel anyway but there you go).

only1
Knight
Favourite Hero: Spidey!
Where did you hear about us?: Search Engine

Post by only1 »

like Spaced said... not seeing it as a reboot but plenty of retcons. I'm kind of expecting to see Miles Morales set up as THE Spider-Man... but, well, we'll see...

ttins
Serf
Favourite Hero: Batman

Post by ttins »

My feeling is that we won't have a reboot, but we'll see our heroes and villains in a new scenario and this will last 2 years... imho :)

DMFirebow
Squire
Favourite Hero: Timber Wolf

Post by DMFirebow »

Secret Wars has me curious. I'm going to check it out, and maybe stay around a bit to check out the changes.

RonCoyote
Squire
Favourite Hero: Havok

Post by RonCoyote »

Marvel is going to destroy itself with these ill conceived reboots. Once upon a time marvel had outstanding continuity. No longer.

dec86
Serf
Favourite Hero: Wolverine

Post by dec86 »

So far it seems like things will change a little, especially when Marvel released the All-New, All-Different posters recently with what looks like X-23 in Wolverine garb etc. But personally I don't see it as changing completely. Maybe just trying to push old character names and identities upon newer, younger, maybe fresher individuals to gain a new audience. Up to now the main Secret Wars series has been interesting though. But it is early doors.

Kaligula666
Squire
Favourite Hero: Superman

Post by Kaligula666 »

Idefinetly look that series, thank you. :spider:

ladders
Squire

Post by ladders »

I've not read a single Secret Wars book, everything I hear about it leaves me uninterested. Maybe I've just got Marvel Event Fatigue.

mrpinktoo
Knight
Favourite Hero: Nightcrawler

Post by mrpinktoo »

I moved into a place of event fatigue for awhile. There have been so many mini-events and major events in both Marvel and DC that something had to give for me. I won't harp on about DC in this Marvel thread, however the New 52 broke me. It probably didn't help that I almost felt obliged to keep up with everything New 52 related, or the fact that I have been quite invested in Marvel and more of my favourite character book releases happening there. I haven't read Convergence, though I would like to, but (getting back on topic) I have been totally invested in Secret Wars.

It feels to me less like a major event but more like revisiting past favourite storylines though linked by a common thread. Almost reminds me of What If? which was another book I have always enjoyed. Not suggesting anyone else should feel the same as me, I know there are a fair few CK'ers who are disillusioned with what Marvel has become.

Personally, I'm still drinking the Marvel kool aid, happy with the Marvel U and the MCU. I don't expect drastic changes after Secret Wars, but the changes and new books announced so far will surely keep my interest going forward.

spacesoulboi
Squire
Favourite Hero: superman

Post by spacesoulboi »

it's been a couple years now and I'm still trying to find the impact that it had on Marvel universe as a whole
There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water that is lying about being milk.

— Ron Swanson