Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Inhumanity
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:27 am 
Duke

Thanked 0 times for this post.
13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Infinity hasn't even started yet and already Marvel have announced the big storyline that is coming next.

Entertainment Weekly wrote:
The Marvel universe is getting a radical makeover in December, and it’s all because of the Inhumans. A race of superpowered beings created eons ago by extraterrestrial experimentation, the Inhumans have been part of the Marvel Universe since the Lee/Kirby days. Inhuman mythology is fascinating and rife with weird metaphor and outré affectations. They have a royal family, headed up by Black Bolt, whose voice carries a supersonic force so devastating that he can never speak. And a key aspect of Inhuman life is exposure to the Terrigen Mist, a mysterious vapor that activates Inhuman biology and grants superpowers. As Marvel Comics Editor-In-Chief Axel Alonso puts it, “In a world filled with musclebound characters in spandex, the Inhumans were weirder. They were hippies!”

And in “Inhumanity,” the Inhumans — and everything they represent — will move to the forefront. In the wake of this Fall’s “Infinity” crossover event, the Terrigen Mists are released throughout the world — which results in millions of Inhuman descendants around the world suddenly witnessing the activation of their dormant Inhuman cells. (Basically, if your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparents were Inhumans, you could have superpowers.) “The effect on the Marvel Universe will be seismic,” says Alonso. The Terrigen Mists affects all Inhumans differently, granting powers that typically reflect one’s personality, like a hyper-specific Sorting Hat. So “Inhumanity” opens the possibility for a fascinating array of new characters. “You might learn that your new self is fantastic, beautiful, filled with immense power,” says Alonso. “By the same token, you could turn around and find out that you’re nothing. You’re a blob. You have no powers. You can create a little flame out of your pinkie.”

The centerpiece of “Inhumanity” will be a new regular comic book, Inhuman, written by Marvel ace Matt Fraction (Hawkeye.) “Our focus characters are drawn into the palace intrigue of this shattered Inhumans Royal family,” says Fraction. “It becomes a superhero story and a mythical story, all revolving around turning the world into a world full of superheroes.” Fraction stresses that the event will appeal to casual readers who might not know their Karnak from their Lockjaw. “It’s giving us a chance to get back to a classic Marvel metaphor of alienation,” he explains. “We’re telling science-fiction stories, but really it’s about race, gender, sexual equality. It’s a very relevant, pertinent metaphor.” (It’s also a metaphor with an intriguing political subtext; says, Alonso, “I look at Attilan, the Inhuman kingdom, as something akin to Israel. Only it moves, constantly uprooting and moving to new places. They’re a nomadic people.”)

The ramifications of “Inhumanity” will spread across the globe — and beyond — as Inhuman society grows and splinters into factions. “The ashes of this royal family smolder,” says Fraction. “You see who lives, who dies, who’s left, and how they begin to try and rebuild. Once this city falls, all kinds of bigger things start happening.” Alonso compares the event to Game of Thrones, and promises to explore the Inhumans’ “long, torturous history.” The ripple effects of “Inhumanity” will last awhile, with far-reaching implications for the whole universe. But for Fraction, it’s all about the simple gut-punch appeal: “There is a secret superhero kingdom, and you might belong there. What do you do? And what does Iron Man do? We’re turning the entire Marvel universe into a potential battlefield. And regular people are in the middle.”

So, big cosmic event followed by a storyline involving loads of previously normal people gaining superpowers? Sounds a lot like Invasion and the Gene Bomb fallout that happened in the late 80s.

Profile WWW  

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:28 am 
Knight

135 total thanks.
Say thanks

I love the inhumans, I can't wait. I haven't bought any major storyline since avx but between inhuman coming, and battle of the atom it seems sort of exciting to me to see where they are going, and hunger looks great too.

to combat evil with all Green Lantern's might!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:52 pm 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

I enjoy the Inhumans, so this sounds interesting. The Inhuman ongoing especially sounds good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:03 am 
Knight

135 total thanks.
Say thanks

I loved the Inhumans by Jenkins and Lee, glad the hardcover is getting a reprinting on that. IMO between that and Silent War they are some of the best stories involving the Inhumans.

Post subject: Re: Inhumanity
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:33 pm 
Knight

59 total thanks.
Say thanks

didn't they say in last inhuman series that humans exposed to terrigen mists might gain powers but it vas also was deadly to them only mutants and inhumans were able to handle exposure so what happens to rest of world?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:35 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Somewhere out on the web I came across an article speculating about the future of the Marvel Cinematic universe, and it was mentioned that the push with the Inhumans could be a way for Marvel Studios to have an X-Men type film since Fox have the actual X-Men franchise. Whether that is pure speculation or could have a hint of possibility to it remains to be seen, but it is an interesting proposal, no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:03 am 
Knight

135 total thanks.
Say thanks

I was thinking the same thing ^

I just want to see Black Bolt in action, maybe an outer space whisper ala world war hulk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:13 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

Why do the Terigen Mists get unleashed upon Earth - when the Inhumans rule the Kree empire?

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:23 pm 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

They don't rule the Kree anymore. They just left, and took attilan back to earth. I'm not sure exactly why, but they have definately left the Kree entirely.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:26 pm 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

you know,now that I think about it,didn't Earth X have a similar plot ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:20 am 
Knight

100 total thanks.
Say thanks

proteus33 wrote:
didn't they say in last inhuman series that humans exposed to terrigen mists might gain powers but it vas also was deadly to them only mutants and inhumans were able to handle exposure so what happens to rest of world?

They've mentioned it at various points....but Marvel doesn't care what you remember or enjoyed.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:52 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

batman55555 wrote:
They don't rule the Kree anymore. They just left, and took attilan back to earth. I'm not sure exactly why, but they have definately left the Kree entirely.

I think that happened during Hickman's F4/FF run but yeah, pretty much everything DnA did with the Inhumans in the Marvel Cosmic books is no more.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:52 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

So is this Marvel's way of creating an X-men lite property for the movie universe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:35 pm 
Knight

256 total thanks.
Say thanks

I just hope Black Bolt isn't dead at the end of Infinity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:13 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

He died at the end of the War of Kings, doesn't seem to have affected him much...

Profile WWW