Gambit (2012)

Discuss all things Image
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Knight
Favourite Hero: Batman/Deadpool
Where did you hear about us?: Yahoo Answers

Gambit (2012)

Post by S.H.I.E.L.D. »

Soon the Ragin Cajun will be in his own ongoing comic book series. And I am excited about that since he was my fav. character in X-Men. Thoughts on this?

mrpinktoo
Knight
Favourite Hero: Nightcrawler

Post by mrpinktoo »

I think this could be good, has deserved a good ongoing. I remember being a fan of the series that used to be re run in the Marvel UK collectors editions of Wolverine & Gambit.

I read every x-book out there anyway, so may as well give this a chance. I get the feeling the Frenzy and Cecillia Reyes may feature a bit in this series.

S.H.I.E.L.D.
Knight

Post by S.H.I.E.L.D. »

When this comes out it might be the only Marvel title that I will buy monthly.

batman55555
Knight
Favourite Hero: Hal Jordan

Post by batman55555 »

I don't think he can support his own ongoing. If it lasts more than 5 issues, I'll be surprised.

S.H.I.E.L.D.
Knight

Post by S.H.I.E.L.D. »

I guess I wanna look at the glass half full before I say anything.

Spaced
Duke
Favourite Hero: Captain Britain
Where did you hear about us?: Other

Re:

Post by Spaced »

batman55555 wrote:I don't think he can support his own ongoing. If it lasts more than 5 issues, I'll be surprised.
Does seem like a non-starter. Was there such a huge fan outcry to have him in his own series again?

Suppose they needed to put something out after X23 and Daaken were cancelled. There's just not enough Mutant books out there you know...

S.H.I.E.L.D.
Knight

Re: Re:

Post by S.H.I.E.L.D. »

Spaced wrote:
batman55555 wrote:I don't think he can support his own ongoing. If it lasts more than 5 issues, I'll be surprised.
Does seem like a non-starter. Was there such a huge fan outcry to have him in his own series again?

Suppose they needed to put something out after X23 and Daaken were cancelled. There's just not enough Mutant books out there you know...

Do you think he might do well just because of a big fanbase that Gambit has?

kuna
Knight
Favourite Hero: Lobo
Where did you hear about us?: Told by a friend

Post by kuna »

You can make any fuck of a character work,when you have good writers and decent art.

So i dont know what you are talking about.
I don't think he can support his own ongoing. If it lasts more than 5 issues, I'll be surprised.

batman55555
Knight
Favourite Hero: Hal Jordan

Re:

Post by batman55555 »

kuna wrote:You can make any fuck of a character work,when you have good writers and decent art.

In thbeory you can. But, like you said, it takes a good writer. Marvel actually has a bunch of good writers, but I doubt they'll be working on the book about the B-list x-man. Even then, Marvel has cancelled good titles before. Its not really about whether the comic will be good or not. It will be the sales. There have been a lot of great titles that have been cancelled because, even though they were good, nobody was reading them. Personally, I'm not a gambit fan and I doubt it will be good, but even if it is, I don't think enough people will read it to keep it going.

S.H.I.E.L.D.
Knight

Post by S.H.I.E.L.D. »

batman55555 wrote:
kuna wrote:You can make any fuck of a character work,when you have good writers and decent art.

In thbeory you can. But, like you said, it takes a good writer. Marvel actually has a bunch of good writers, but I doubt they'll be working on the book about the B-list x-man. Even then, Marvel has cancelled good titles before. Its not really about whether the comic will be good or not. It will be the sales. There have been a lot of great titles that have been cancelled because, even though they were good, nobody was reading them. Personally, I'm not a gambit fan and I doubt it will be good, but even if it is, I don't think enough people will read it to keep it going.

If it has a good story I think it will sell well since people love Gambit I mean he can be a kind of underrated X-Men but some people need to remember some people know him as one of the original members of the X-Men at least if they grew up watching the 90s tv series.

bigdown
Squire
Favourite Hero: hawkeye
Where did you hear about us?: Link from another forum or webpage

Re: Gambit ogoing series to come soon

Post by bigdown »

I liked it when his comic explored his past in the Thieves Guild

Spaced
Duke
Favourite Hero: Captain Britain
Where did you hear about us?: Other

Post by Spaced »

S.H.I.E.L.D. wrote:If it has a good story I think it will sell well since people love Gambit I mean he can be a kind of underrated X-Men but some people need to remember some people know him as one of the original members of the X-Men at least if they grew up watching the 90s tv series.
And there's the problem. He was a fan favourite in the 90s and could only manage a couple of mini-series and an ongoing that ran for 2 years. Nowadays he's nowhere near as popular so I just don't see this surviving long, especially as Marvel now have a pretty itchy trigger finger when it comes to cancelling lower selling titles.
In theory yes, even in terms of quality yes but in terms of sales? Never - ever - works that way at Marvel right now.

only1
Knight
Favourite Hero: Spidey!
Where did you hear about us?: Search Engine

Post by only1 »

easy solution: Brian Michael Bendis

look what he did for Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, hell... even Squirrel Girl. He could make Gambit into muthaflippin Superman! :D

S.H.I.E.L.D.
Knight

Post by S.H.I.E.L.D. »

I am gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope he will last and not have to stand in front of a firing squad to say you are canceled.

S.H.I.E.L.D.
Knight

Post by S.H.I.E.L.D. »

Found this article that talk about it:http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2012 ... his-august

In recent years, Gambit has become the most confusing character on the Marvel roster. He is easily one of the most popular X-Men to ever grace the page of a comic, yet whenever he gets his own solo series, it turns out to be nothing more than an expensive birdcage liner. First, in 1999, the company launched Gambit in hopes of replicating the success of Wolverine’s solo comic. The result was a creatively flat endeavor that only lasted a meager 25 issues. And then in 2004, Gambit was relaunched, but this time it only lasted 12 issues.

Well Marvel is back on the horse after it announced that Gambit will be the star of yet another solo title this August by writer James Asmus and artist Clay Mann, according to Comic Book Resources. At the Chicago Comics & Entertainment Expo, Asmus gave some details on the book during Marvel’s “Next Big Thing” panel.

"This book focuses on the two most important aspects of Gambit: #1 that he's sexy, and #2 that he's the preeminent bad ass thief of the Marvel Universe," the writer said. “It lets us refresh and do new things with the crime capers involving our classic bad ass."

The book won’t be necessarily rebooting the character, but the company is focused on making it as easy to get into for new fans as possible. However, Asmus also noted during the panel that he wants to make the book appeal to old school fans of the X-Men cartoon from the ‘90s as well.

We'll have a definite release date for Gambit when it becomes available.