Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Besides comics what are you reading
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:11 pm 
Merchant

Thanked 4 times for this post.
1,342 total thanks.
Say thanks

Just wondering what you are reading .
I'm reading Steven Erikson's Malazan series(fantasy) just finishing up the 8th book Toll the Hounds.
Just before that had re-read George R R Martins A Song of Ice and Fire series which is probably my favorite fantasy series .

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:33 pm 
Count

Thanked 3 times for this post.
2,829 total thanks.
Say thanks

The Harry Dresden books but am current on the series with the exception of Backup which isn't really part of the series. The Myth Adventure series, also current on the series. I think those are the only 2 ongoing series I am currently reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:06 pm 
King

11,665 total thanks.
Say thanks

Just finished reading The Heroes novel 'Saving Charlie'. Was ok, very simple storyline but easy to read and it flows well.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:57 am 
Knight

3,296 total thanks.
Say thanks

Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box, reading it on & off my cellphone for a couple of weeks now (which I keep forgetting to finish off)

Anyhoo...Joe Hill in case you didn't know is Stephen King's son, and is the current writer of Locke & Key (IDW)

Almost...but he's no Stephen King...there is only one King!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:07 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Just started the latest of Greg Rucka's Atticus Kodiak books, "Walking Dead".

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:34 pm 
Merchant

Thanked 2 times for this post.
1,342 total thanks.
Say thanks

fsw wrote:
The Harry Dresden books but am current on the series with the exception of Backup which isn't really part of the series. The Myth Adventure series, also current on the series. I think those are the only 2 ongoing series I am currently reading.

Harry Dresden rings a bell with me , but I can't place it for some reason . Is he a detective or a P.I. in a sci fi setting?

Quote:
Just finished reading The Heroes novel 'Saving Charlie'. Was ok, very simple storyline but easy to read and it flows well.

That makes me think of Star Trek novels . I could read them in about half the time I would other novels , not exactly great literature but entertaining. Did you find you would hear the actors voices in your head saying the script as you were reading it ? I always did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:45 pm 
Count

2,829 total thanks.
Say thanks

Harry Dresden is a wizard in Chicago with a P.I. license and consults for the police. There was one season of a TV show of the Dresden Chronicles on SciFi based on the books.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:53 pm 
Merchant

1,342 total thanks.
Say thanks

fsw wrote:
Harry Dresden is a wizard in Chicago with a P.I. license and consults for the police. There was one season of a TV show of the Dresden Chronicles on SciFi based on the books.

It's a modern day setting then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:55 pm 
Duke

Thanked 2 times for this post.
3,439 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm about to start Mass Effect: Revelation, followed by Mass Effect: Ascension... both inspired by the 360 game from Bioware. I'm reading these and have been playing the game a lot lately because I'm mad hyped for part 2, which hopefully has some big news tomorrow at E3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:57 pm 
Count

2,829 total thanks.
Say thanks

Harry Dresden is set in present day Chicago with a twist of the supernatural.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:59 pm 
Merchant

1,342 total thanks.
Say thanks

fsw wrote:
Harry Dresden is set in present day Chicago with a twist of the supernatural.

I think I might try that out when I'm done with Toll the Hounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:39 am 
Squire

13 total thanks.
Say thanks

QuickBen, how has Malazan been? I just grabbed the first book on a whim and am about to start it. I'm always nervous when I'm about to dedicate that much time to a series.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:36 pm 
Merchant

1,342 total thanks.
Say thanks

1-am wrote:
QuickBen, how has Malazan been? I just grabbed the first book on a whim and am about to start it. I'm always nervous when I'm about to dedicate that much time to a series.

I love this series . Erikson was an archaeologist and anthropolgist for 20 years and it shows in his writing. He has created a world with a rich and intricate history. The characters are not simply divided into camps of good and evil and are usually somewhere in the middle . I like a story with that kind of realism. With each book he doesn't just follow the story of the same characters , the story will go clear to the other side of world to show what's happening in other Empires.
But as the series goes on these Empires and characters begin to discover each other and can form alliances or have some nasty battles. You also have the Gods meddling with the mere mortals from time to time.
In the first novel you get introduced to some great characters like WhiskeyJack, Kalam , Sorry ,Rallick Nom, Kruppe (who always speaks of himself in the 3rd person and is more than he seems) and of course the squad mage QuickBen.

So give it try and let me know what you think .
(and if you like that George R R Martin's A song of Ice and Fire series is a must read as well I would tell you more about now but I've rambled on enough )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:04 pm 
Knight

247 total thanks.
Say thanks

Im reading.... well, bunch of things xD The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan; A Song of Ice and Fire - G.R.R. Martin; Forgotten Realms: Legend of Drizzt - R.A. Salvatore; The Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind; etc.... :)

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:10 pm 
Squire

65 total thanks.
Say thanks

Heh. Lots of the same stuff here. Been reading The Dresden Files too, currently on book seven, Dead Beat. I'm enjoying them. I also read the first two Codex Alera books by the same author, Jim Butcher. Going to read the 3rd and 4th books after Dead Beat.

Thanks for the info on the Malazan books. They always catch my eye when I'm looking for books to read. I'm tempted now to pick one up. I'm also looking to get some Robert E. Howard Conan books in the near future.

For book recommendations The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson were very good. If the author sounds familiar to anyone, he is the guy finishing the Wheel of Time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next