Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Undiscovered, Underrated, & Forgotten
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:19 am 
Count

Thanked 6 times for this post.
2,829 total thanks.
Say thanks

In a recent discussion in the chat, we were talking about need a thread to discuss undiscovered, underrated, and forgotten gems so I finally got around to creating this thread.

We ask that you post any series, issue, or arc that you think meets this criteria. We also ask that you provide a mini review with information about why you think it meets the criteria.

I will start with one that I recently ran across as an example.

Spider-Woman Volume 1 #50.
I checked out this issue to check out the villain, Locksmith. The character is interesting being an escape artist / stage magician that decides to capture super powered people because they are over-shadowing normal humans but this is not what makes this issue a gem. This is the last issue of volume 1 and there is a death in this issue that is handled in an amazing way, one that I have not seen before and is ready-made with a way for them to bring the character back from the dead.

I look forward to hearing about the lesser known gems you will share as well.

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:11 pm 
Knight

Thanked 3 times for this post.
955 total thanks.
Say thanks

Swamp Thing Volume 2 (issues 165 -171 final issue). This is an incredible run by Mark Millar. Even though it was a Vertigo imprint, it has the feeling of staright forward superhero storyline. In this final arc of the series, Swamp thing is basically the strongest hero on earth, with a mession to restart all life on the planet. God sent his agents to stop this act (new characters are introduced here with powers and designs similar to those of the Spectre). Very enjoyable story that doesn't feel like a Vertigo comic. Highly recommended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:53 pm 
Marquis

Thanked 2 times for this post.
1,004 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm going to recommend a couple of minis:

They kinda come out of House of M and deal with the Inhumans and put them on the road that they're currently on.

Son of M is a mini that spun RIGHT OUT of House Of M dealing with Quicksilver and his having lost his powers and the lengths he goes through to try and regain his abilities...

Silent War is the follow up that deals with the aftermath of Quicksilver's decisions that have destroyed the Inhuman's ability to use the mists for transformation and his own daughters side effects to her abuse of the mists while in the hands of her father.

All of this leads into the Secret Invasion Mini which is ground work for the War of Kings...

Seriously probably some of the best stuff written in some time, very character driven...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:16 pm 
Count

Thanked 6 times for this post.
2,829 total thanks.
Say thanks

I am editing these posts and making the comic title a link to the thread where it can be downloaded if we have. If we do not have it, I will try to add it like I did with Son of M. This way we can make it easy for everyone check out these stories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:44 pm 
Squire

Thanked 4 times for this post.
150 total thanks.
Say thanks

Local by Brian Wood and Ryan Kelly

12 issues. 12 stories about Megan McKeenan as she travels America.
Each independent but combining to make a complete coming of age drama.

Quite simply a joy. Recommended to anyone who likes strong, character driven works.

Best of all no previous continuity knowledge needed.

And no superheroes.

Or black lantern zombie things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:06 pm 
Marquis

1,004 total thanks.
Say thanks

Awesome idea to find the links FSW.. Thank you for doing that, very awesome of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:39 pm 
King

Thanked 4 times for this post.
11,665 total thanks.
Say thanks

I think Marvel's Angel: Revelations from last year was massively underrated. Incredible artwork from Adam Pollina and, being only 5 issues, it had a nice pace.

Jack Staff volume 1 on Dancing Elephant Press is one of my recent favourite finds. Very British in it's humour, Cartoonist Paul Grist makes a comic that is just really good fun.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:38 pm 
Marquis

1,004 total thanks.
Say thanks

Do you like superhero crime noir?

Peter David did a fantastic job with Madrox. It was basically a mini series pilot for what the second X-Factor run would eventually turn into, both are fantastic reads but you don't really need to have any former knowledge of Madrox to enjoy his mini. David did a good job of making it accessible and enjoyable.

Go read it, you'll thank me!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:28 am 
Knight

3,296 total thanks.
Say thanks

idris wrote:
Swamp Thing Volume 2 (issues 165 -171 final issue). This is an incredible run by Mark Millar. Even though it was a Vertigo imprint, it has the feeling of staright forward superhero storyline. In this final arc of the series, Swamp thing is basically the strongest hero on earth, with a mession to restart all life on the planet. God sent his agents to stop this act (new characters are introduced here with powers and designs similar to those of the Spectre). Very enjoyable story that doesn't feel like a Vertigo comic. Highly recommended.

First off thanks to fsw for this great topic thread (this goes well with my own related thread: your-most-admired-least-known-or-not-so-popular-writer-t4807.html) and to idris for bringing up a Mark Millar title which I haven't tracked down yet...

....Swamp Thing ey? He/she/it is probably one of the more "UUF" characters (with apologies to Len Wein...er :oops: )....but you know who's version of Swamp Thing's probably gonna beat Millar's "fuggetable" run?
It's about 20+ issues and follow's the journey of ST's "love child" as she tries to (re)discover her way around the world...Ok...you'd probably think how the hell did SwampThing manage to have a "love child!???" :O (no, no, it's not BR silly!) But you really don't need to coz the story's gonna pull you in just a couple of issues in....

Think of Y the Last Man combined with Runaways (that's basically how I thought about it).... Check out:
Spoiler: show
Swamp Thing vol.3 by BKV who else :shrug:

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:06 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Missed this thread first time round so I'll resurrect it with these suggestions:

The Light Brigade
4 issue mini-series centred around a battle between the forces of Heaven & Hell set during World War Two. Great premise, solid characterisation, a bit on the gory side - something for everyone. An absolute gem of a book by the quality creative team of Pete Tomasi (GLC, The Mighty) & Peter Snejbjerg (The Mighty, Books of Magic).

Breed
Creator owned book by Jim Starlin dealing with an American GI who finds out he comes from a demonic bloodline. Described as a "mix of horror, mysticism and kickass action", it's a really good book but is unfortunately unfinished as Malibu went out of business before volume 3 was published. The first 2 volumes are still well worth a read though.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:00 am 
Knight

621 total thanks.
Say thanks

ckste wrote:
Local by Brian Wood and Ryan Kelly

12 issues. 12 stories about Megan McKeenan as she travels America.
Each independent but combining to make a complete coming of age drama.

Quite simply a joy. Recommended to anyone who likes strong, character driven works.

Best of all no previous continuity knowledge needed.

And no superheroes.

Or black lantern zombie things.

just d/l'd this, on the strength of your brief review. gave the first issue a quick scan, and I've a feeling I'm going to like it!

much obliged, ckste!

(incidentally, this is a brilliant thread. personally have every intention of pimping one of my own favorites, as mentioned in the Vertigo thread in the DC discussion section... when I'm feeling coherent enough to do so...)

Post subject: Re: Undiscovered, Underrated, & Forgotten
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:20 am 
Knight

621 total thanks.
Say thanks

House Of Secrets (Vertigo 1996-99)

as I've stated before, this was and is my favorite Vertigo title (Sandman notwithstanding) - and, indeed, one of my favorite series - ever.

aside from sharing the title, it is completely unrelated to the old DC horror series. likewise, unlike the currently ongoing House Of Mystery, it has no ties to Cain and Abel. this was a completely original concept.

at the core of the series were two main elements: young runaway and compulsive liar Rain Harper, and the people she befriends; and 'the Juris' - a supernatural tribunal of sorts who try people for the secrets they hide in life.

set in grunge-era Seattle, the series was created in a very non-traditional style, both in its storytelling and its art. this, in turn, made for a very creative and somewhat unique read which, in many respects, very much lived up to its 'mature' tag with its content.

following the 25-issue series, a two-part follow-up, House Of Secrets: Facade was released. not so keen on this, personally, as I'm very much a fan of a lack of resolution. felt it unnecessary after the way the initial series was concluded.

there's been talk of a movie adaptation for years. something in me seriously hopes "no".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:31 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

The premise of the book is the Dirty Dozen with super powers but it becomes so much more than that. John Ostrander, later joined by his late wife Kim Yale on writing duties, and Luke McDonnell fashioned a superb series combining espionage elements alongside a skewed take on anti-heroes.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Undiscovered, Underrated, & Forgotten
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:51 pm 
Knight

696 total thanks.
Say thanks

The Ghost in the Shell.
The comic was good enough to inspire an anime and even a series. (and a sequel, I think) But even still many people only watched the shows. While the comics are the basis they are dissimilar enough to warrant their own spot on my "A List" of great entertainment. Explores themes only touched on in the movie.

Animal Mystic (Dark Water) is the series of graphic novels about a Californian Amazon who travels to distant and undiscovered worlds. Very fun read.
Code:
http://ofearna.us/comics/amystic.html

Sandman by Neil Gaiman. If you haven't checked it out you are missing out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:19 pm 
Squire

23 total thanks.
Say thanks

Local is great. I don't think Brian Wood has done anything I haven't liked. The ongoing series DMZ is one of my favorites and some of his older books like Supermarket and The Couriers were good.

I'm also a fan ofBrandon Graham's King City published by Image/Tokyopop. I love his art style and it's a fun/quirky story.