Most Powerful Round 3: Dr. Manhattan vs Dr. Strange

Help us discover the most powerful being in all of comics!

Who win win this round?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:46 am

Dr. Manhattan
No votes
Dr. Strange
No votes

Total votes: 0

fsw
Count
Favourite Hero: Night Thrasher
Where did you hear about us?: Search Engine

Most Powerful Round 3: Dr. Manhattan vs Dr. Strange

Post by fsw »

croy2814
Knight
Favourite Hero: Green Lantern
Where did you hear about us?: Told by a friend

Post by croy2814 »

This is probably one of the more fun matchups of the tourney, and I'm actually at a loss for who would win this one. This is the first one I need to think about...

shaggypr01
Knight
Favourite Hero: Wolverine
Where did you hear about us?: Yahoo Answers

Re: Most Powerful Round 3: Dr. Manhattan vs Dr. Strange

Post by shaggypr01 »

This one was a hard one to decide but in the end I think that Dr. Manhattan will win it. Give that Dr. Manhattan has powers like invulnerability and immortality.

CharlieRock
Knight
Favourite Hero: Superman
Where did you hear about us?: Link from another forum or webpage

Post by CharlieRock »

Dr. Manhatten.
Dr. Strange in the sorceror supreme and knowledgable in all forms of magic, but doesn't understand the extradimensional capability of Dr. Manhatten. This would lead to a serious weak point in any attack Dr. Strange would try to use. One that Dr. Manhatten could exploit since he does on a practical level understand the nature of Dr. Strange's existence as a man.

xavi
Knight
Favourite Hero: wolverine

Post by xavi »

My vote's with Dr Manhattan...even though magic's out of Manhattan's comprehension, he can make up for it with his ability to duplicate himself to more copies than Strange can cope with (Strange's magic is limited in the sense that he can only cast up a certain no. of spells before he is exhausted) and a slight opening would be just what Manhattan needs to disintegrate Strange.

kavenien
Squire
Favourite Hero: John Constantine
Where did you hear about us?: Search Engine

Post by kavenien »

I think it comes down to preparation, mostly Strange's. If he knows well in advance the nature and capabilities of Manhattan, he'd have counters and attacks set up to contain and destroy Manhattan.

However, if they blindly fight on first sight with no foreknowledge, Strange would be gooey mess in milliseconds, which is less time than he usually needs to cast spells.

volzzilla
Knight
Favourite Hero: witchblade

Post by volzzilla »

manhattan for all the reasons said above.

Celtica
Squire
Favourite Hero: Red Robin

Post by Celtica »

Manhattan would defeat Strange without prep.

But with enough prep,
Strange could well enough exploit Manhattan's weakness which is muddling up the timelines so Manhattan will lose focus and his key ability of seeing the many possibilities of the future.

Strange has the upper hand now and I guess he should have cast enough charms beforehand to prevent Manhattan's matter manipulation on him.

Since killing Manhattan would be out of the equation, my bet is containment. :shrug:
(Negative Zone?)

(I'm using a scenario where both of them have an understanding of each other, if not, I agree with CharlieRock)

CharlieRock
Knight
Favourite Hero: Superman
Where did you hear about us?: Link from another forum or webpage

Post by CharlieRock »

Maybe this is the D&D player in me but I don't think magic is the power it is getting a reputation for. Most magic forms depicted in fiction rely on components such as incantations, hand movements, or even material ingrediants. If one could possibly manipulate those components on a molecular level (sound travels on wavelengths that can be distorted or even reflected, hands can be disintegrated, and ingrediants can be outright changed to other things), one could seriously disrupt the intended effect magic would have. You don't even need to understand magic fully. If you see a wizard pulling some dust from his hat and you change it to mustard sauce you can pretty much be assured the spell will not work as intended.

batman55555
Knight
Favourite Hero: Hal Jordan

Post by batman55555 »

I'd vote for Dr. Strange. I'll admit it's because I'm biased against all things Watchmen, otherwise I might vote for Manhattan, but Strange is getting my vote.

Celtica
Squire

Post by Celtica »

CharlieRock wrote:Maybe this is the D&D player in me but I don't think magic is the power it is getting a reputation for. Most magic forms depicted in fiction rely on components such as incantations, hand movements, or even material ingrediants. If one could possibly manipulate those components on a molecular level (sound travels on wavelengths that can be distorted or even reflected, hands can be disintegrated, and ingrediants can be outright changed to other things), one could seriously disrupt the intended effect magic would have. You don't even need to understand magic fully. If you see a wizard pulling some dust from his hat and you change it to mustard sauce you can pretty much be assured the spell will not work as intended.
But in the terms of the battle, the prep time allows Strange to prepare beforehand the necessary spells and ingredients needed.
The only chance Strange seems to have is to exploit Manhattan's weakness by using tachyons (basically causing errors in the timeflow) making Manhattan confused.

If not,
I doubt Manhattan would waste time preventing the spellcasting when he could turn Strange into mustard sauce immediately,

Even if Strange makes it past this round, we should keep this weakness in mind, it might work against him later...

fezzdogg
Knight
Favourite Hero: Captain America

Post by fezzdogg »

Manhattan for sure, it seems to not want to let me vote. so I'll just post.

xavi
Knight
Favourite Hero: wolverine

Post by xavi »

Celtica wrote:
CharlieRock wrote:Maybe this is the D&D player in me but I don't think magic is the power it is getting a reputation for. Most magic forms depicted in fiction rely on components such as incantations, hand movements, or even material ingrediants. If one could possibly manipulate those components on a molecular level (sound travels on wavelengths that can be distorted or even reflected, hands can be disintegrated, and ingrediants can be outright changed to other things), one could seriously disrupt the intended effect magic would have. You don't even need to understand magic fully. If you see a wizard pulling some dust from his hat and you change it to mustard sauce you can pretty much be assured the spell will not work as intended.
But in the terms of the battle, the prep time allows Strange to prepare beforehand the necessary spells and ingredients needed.
The only chance Strange seems to have is to exploit Manhattan's weakness by using tachyons (basically causing errors in the timeflow) making Manhattan confused.

If not,
I doubt Manhattan would waste time preventing the spellcasting when he could turn Strange into mustard sauce immediately,

Even if Strange makes it past this round, we should keep this weakness in mind, it might work against him later...
Yup that's why Manhattan would have to create multiple copies of himself during prep time so that once the battle starts, the spells that Strange had cast beforehand would be targeted at the multiple Manhattans and just one Manhattan would be required to take out Strange while Strange copes with directing the spells to the mass number of Manhattans attacking him.

Celtica
Squire

Post by Celtica »

xavi wrote:
Celtica wrote:

If not,

Yup that's why Manhattan would have to create multiple copies of himself during prep time so that once the battle starts, the spells that Strange had cast beforehand would be targeted at the multiple Manhattans and just one Manhattan would be required to take out Strange while Strange copes with directing the spells to the mass number of Manhattans attacking him.
Yeah, didn't think of that! :oops:
Even by confusing Manhattan, Strange can't defeat the army of Manhattans.
But the possibility of a time stoppage seems plausible but I think I'm going to deep here...

Manhattan for the win, I guess! :D