Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man (2011)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:17 pm 
Duke

Thanked 0 times for this post.
13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

And the New Ultimate Spider-man is...
Er, this guy:

Spoiler: show

Marvel Press Release wrote:
Pop culture history will be made tomorrow as Ultimate Comics Fallout #4 hits shelves and introduces readers to the all-new Ultimate Comics Spider-Man! That’s right, for the first time ever, someone other than Peter Parker will be Spider-Man! But, after the death of Peter Parker, who will rise up to defend the Ultimate Universe? Meet Miles Morales, a seemingly normal teenager from New York who will soon discover that with great power comes great responsibility…and even greater danger! But just what are the secrets behind Miles’ shocking abilities? What’s his connection to the original Spider-Man? And just why does he wear that costume? Courtesy of superstars Brian Michael Bendis and Sara Pichelli, Ultimate Comics Fallout #4 begins the story that’ll have everyone talking for years to come!

“When the opportunity arose to create a new Spider-Man, we knew it had to be a character that represents the diversity—in background and experience—of the twenty-first century,” said Axel Alonso, Marvel Editor in Chief. “Miles is a character who not only follows in the tradition of relatable characters like Peter Parker, but also shows why he’s a new, unique kind of Spider-Man—and worthy of that name.”

With its inception in 2000, the Ultimate Comics Universe reimagined the world’s most popular super heroes for a new generation and has been critically lauded for its bold, resonant stories. In particular, Ultimate Spider-Man #1 is widely considered one of the most important comics of the century, setting records for trade paperback sales and introducing one of the most popular versions of Spider-Man ever. With the death of Peter Parker in June 2011, all eyes were once again on the Ultimate Comics Universe, as mainstream media and fans alike speculated just who Marvel would put under the mask of this beloved hero. Now, the chart-topping team of Bendis and Pichelli begin the next major chapter of the Ultimate Comics Universe with September’s historic Ultimate Comics spider-Man #1, giving readers a chance to learn the origin of the most important new character of the century.

“The chance for the world to join a new Spider-Man as he discovers what that means in this modern world is one of the most challenging and crazy fun opportunities I’ve had as a writer,” explained Bendis. “The Ultimate Comics Universe according to Miles is completely unique. I can't wait to write every issue and I can't wait for people to start reading them.”

Pichelli added, “I promise, you will fall in love with Miles-- I already did. 'Nuff Said.”

Profile WWW  

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject: Re: And the New Ultimate Spider-man is... [spoilers]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:40 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I don't like it. Sure Death... was great story, but I would rather see someone we already knew as part of Spider Man's supporting cast. Also I really loved Peter as a character. Anyway I still think that Peter Parker will be abck, maybe not as Spider man, but as a SHIELD agent. Fury foretold him that he'll be his operative some day, when he turns 18, and Samuel L. Jackson keeps his word. There are also some clones of Peter, and Ock can always make more.

Sorry for my bad english. It's not my native language, so I may make mistakes. Correct me if you can.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:53 pm 
Knight

1,396 total thanks.
Say thanks

I don't like this for a couple of reasons.

: Peter just died
:Why a new Spider-Man, why not a Spider-themed person, like an Ultimate Arana or Tarantula?
:While I appreciate their "need" for more socially diverse characters, that is their only reason for Spidey being black/mexican just like the new Power Man.
:And until he gets that black and red suit he looks like Kick-Ass.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:07 pm 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

while I'll miss Ultimate Peter Parker,I won't mind Miles Morales,so long as he does the Spidey-mental justice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:14 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Lex Talionis wrote:
while I'll miss Ultimate Peter Parker,I won't mind Miles Morales,so long as he does the Spidey-mental justice.

But the problem is he is just some random guy. I know they'll probably give him some backstory in Fallout, but it's just some guy we don' know taking over from someone we loved, and who kicked ass. As for him being Black - I couldn't care less if he's black, blue, green, girl, or even a mixture of all above as long as the stories are good. I don't understand the urge to make characters socially diverse. If you have a good story about a white guy - good. If about black- ok. I don' understand why people are so excited about Apollo and Midnighter being gay. So they are. As long as the story is good i don't care about it.

Sorry for my bad english. It's not my native language, so I may make mistakes. Correct me if you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:15 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

It would have been cooler if Marvel hadn't mentioned the ethnicity in the press release. It shouldn't be a big deal.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:22 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Much cooler but they want to show everyone how much they fight for equal rights and all this crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:45 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I dont mind at all, Im excited to see what they do with the character, as far as the push for diversity I think it comes from the standpoint of trying to reflect a more modern society something the Ultimate Universe has always had a good grip on in my opinion. I agree with Crowlord that they shouldnt have focused so much on it in the press release, but I guess that how they wanted to do it. I love to read great stories but as a minority reader myself it does excite me that there is a more diversity in comics, I agree with Bendis there are alot of great minority characters out there but things are lopsided. We dont yet know how this book is going to turn out, so we may end up with a great story with a really good new character.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:33 pm 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

despite what I said earlier,I still think that killing off Ultimate Peter Parker means a fatal blow to the Ultimate Universe,lets face it: the major reason why the imprint stuck around for so long is because of Ultimate Peter Parker,much like Miguel O'Hara of 2099 and Mayday Parker of MC2.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:22 pm 
Knight

16 total thanks.
Say thanks

Raziel wrote:

:Why a new Spider-Man, why not a Spider-themed person, like an Ultimate Arana or Tarantula?
:While I appreciate their "need" for more socially diverse characters, that is their only reason for Spidey being black/mexican just like the new Power Man.

That's my biggest issue with this, why a new Spiderman? Spiderman was Spiderman because of not only what happened to Peter (spider bite), but also who he is. That's what made the character resonate with people, making it popular. Throwing anybody else into it is doomed to fail. I feel much the same way about Batman. While I love Dick Grayson as Nightwing, he's not Batman. Batman was born from the tragedy that happened to Bruce Wayne and his own personality make up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:27 pm 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

Raziel wrote:

I totally agree. Actually, I was hoping that Ultimate jessica Drew would take over. I'm against making a character diverse just for diversities sake. Make up a good reason, don't just do it to fill a quota for non white superheroes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:49 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

So what would be a good reason to make characters diverse?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:55 pm 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

batmanandrobin wrote:

I'm just saying that if you do it, do it because you have a good plan and want to. There are many good non white superheroes (Blue Beetle 3, Black Lightning, Storm, etc) but this seems weird. He's a random guy they created out of thin air, with no build up. It just seems like they made him diverse just to say "Look! We can make non white superheroes". I'm not saying he'll be bad, he could be great. But, there's been no build up for him, so to me its just a little suspicious.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:59 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

batmanandrobin wrote:

If for example Spidey knew some black dude in school and he took over. Or were shown anywhere near Spider man in USM, it would be better. No one here is againist him being black, but he came out of nowhere. Again it's weird, but I agree with Batman555555. I guess when it comes to marvel we agree very often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm not saying that anyone is against him being black, everybody here seems pretty reasonable, but we've yet to even see this kid in one issue so we don't even know marvel and bendis's plan. It's been said that his connection to Peter will be explained in the first issue so I do he'll be given a decent setup. If this is what bendis's really wanted I think people would still claim that it just doesn't feel right. Let's just give him some time and see how it turns out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next