Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )



All times are UTC [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: And the New Ultimate Spider-man is... [spoilers]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:06 am 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:19 pm
Posts: 519

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
razdwaczy wrote:
Sixteen? seventeen? Big difference between 13 and 16.

Really there is? I wasn't aware!!!!! :D

_________________
Image


 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:59 am 
Squire

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:20 am
Posts: 9

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
I don't mind the change at all. The age thing should be interesting. Perhaps he'll be the idealistic young kid, maybe a huge fan of Spider-Man and convinced that Spider-Man has to exist, so he decides to take up the mantle but has no idea what he's in for. It would be cool if he's on his own, totally separate from the mainstream community. How often do we get to see young characters who are truly on their own when they start, not part of a group of other teens or sidekicks of older superheroes?

(could totally be wrong there though)


 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:26 am 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:46 am
Posts: 608

Thanked 0 times for this post.
1,396 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
I think Miguel gets a pass for two reasons, he wasn't replacing Peter and they renamed everyone they could.


 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:47 am 
Squire

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:53 am
Posts: 24

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
IMO:
I think there's too much color delusion in our society and people tend to only see people by the color of their skin and not the person they are. Why is it that everytime Marvel wants to "show" the true face of society it's always a change to making the character black? What happened to the asians, middle easterns, indians and native americans? Marvel has always been criticized by others for not showing more minorities but everytime they do it's some random black character that has no back story, bad attitude(1st hulk) and has no real character. Great way to show black characters in your comics, why not show asians as bad drivers too. People from every race liked P.P. because he was the everynerd fighting against bullies, corruption, greed and evil in every way. If you're going to have ethic characters then take the time to "flesh" them out and not sterotype them to death(black hulk).


 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:05 am 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:39 am
Posts: 255

Thanked 0 times for this post.
199 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
Well, I haven't picked up a copy yet (I only got caught up with the last 2 issues of Ultimate Fallout last weekend) I did not really believe UPP was going to actually die :( ....and this week, I was actually going to post something like this: "Who do you think is or should the next US-M :spider: be?" (or answer to some other topic like it)

Anyhoo, now we know...k, so it's an African/Latino-American kid :shrug: so what? And I say this in the context that the majority of the replies here (and over the net) seemed to revolve on that "issue". It's really not an issue for me, I mean they could have made Spidey green, gay and one goddamn ugly mutha alien...and it wouldnt really make a difference to me as long as the stories are worth the read....

In fact, I kinda like it now that USM Spidey is/would be clearly much different than the Spidey of ASM

_________________
____________________________________________________
Image


 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:31 am 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:17 am
Posts: 83

Thanked 0 times for this post.
62 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
megabat wrote:
IMO:
I think there's too much color delusion in our society and people tend to only see people by the color of their skin and not the person they are. Why is it that everytime Marvel wants to "show" the true face of society it's always a change to making the character black? What happened to the asians, middle easterns, indians and native americans? Marvel has always been criticized by others for not showing more minorities but everytime they do it's some random black character that has no back story, bad attitude(1st hulk) and has no real character. Great way to show black characters in your comics, why not show asians as bad drivers too. People from every race liked P.P. because he was the everynerd fighting against bullies, corruption, greed and evil in every way. If you're going to have ethic characters then take the time to "flesh" them out and not sterotype them to death(black hulk).

This is my take on why they decide to make characters black versus other races here it is. Me im latino and to be honest I can releate better to black heros versus white. Heros but the reason why I think they choose to go with black is is because minorites has a hole I think can releate to there experience.

_________________
Image


 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:39 am 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:19 pm
Posts: 519

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
miyamo wrote:
I don't mind the change at all. The age thing should be interesting. Perhaps he'll be the idealistic young kid, maybe a huge fan of Spider-Man and convinced that Spider-Man has to exist, so he decides to take up the mantle but has no idea what he's in for. It would be cool if he's on his own, totally separate from the mainstream community. How often do we get to see young characters who are truly on their own when they start, not part of a group of other teens or sidekicks of older superheroes?

(could totally be wrong there though)

I really like this setup it sounds really good. Also from reading the issue it looks like Miles has some sort of poralysis touch.

_________________
Image


 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:25 am 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:39 am
Posts: 255

Thanked 0 times for this post.
199 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
spyDUHr-man wrote:

Anyhoo, now we know...k, so it's an African/Latino-American kid :shrug: so what? And I say this in the context that the majority of the replies here (and over the net) seemed to revolve on that "issue". It's really not an issue for me, I mean they could have made Spidey green, gay and one goddamn ugly mutha alien...and it wouldnt really make a difference to me as long as the stories are worth the read....

In fact, I kinda like it now that USM Spidey is/would be clearly much different than the Spidey of ASM


Haha! :lol: I actually quoted myself, its cause I just read this Newsarama interview of BMB:


Spoiler: show
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/new-ultimate-spider-man-brian-michael-bendis-110803.html
Bendis on Newsarama.com wrote:
I know there are some people who think that this was a "stunt" or something. Story first. And if it's story first, and the marketing happens, and we happen to hit on a slow news day where no one did anything crazy so we get a lot of press, there is nothing wrong with that, especially if it's a beautiful book that you believe in — and by "beautiful" I mean [Ultimate Spider-Man artist Sara Pichelli]'s work, I'm not talking about myself. It's a gorgeous book, and we're really proud of it, and there's nothing wrong with trying to get people to take a look at it, especially getting new people to come in a comic store who aren't coming in. A lot of our retail brothers are hurting, and anything we can do to get people in a store for them to take a tour around and check out all the cool stuff, there's nothing wrong with that.

I know that sometimes things feel a little stunt-y, especially when something explodes like this, but I can tell you from my heart of hearts that it was story-first for years, and once we knew that we had something we were really proud of, absolutely we let people know, and if people want to jump on the story, great.

^_^ I called it!


I felt vindicated....uhmmm...what does "PC" mean? :shrug:

_________________
____________________________________________________
Image


 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re: And the New Ultimate Spider-man is... [spoilers]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:53 am 
Duke
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:50 pm
Posts: 3516
Location: Israel (Formerly Russia)

Thanked 0 times for this post.
2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
PC means Political Correctness,it's when someone tries very hard not to offend any group of people,which can be reasonable like calling indigenous people "Native American" instead of "Indians",or idiotic like calling the celebration of the winter solstice "X-Mas" instead of "Christmas"

"I'm not OVERWEIGHT ! I'm HORIZONTALLY CHALLENGED !"

_________________
Image


 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:17 pm 
Knight

Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 2:13 pm
Posts: 155

Thanked 0 times for this post.
30 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
Wow, my first reaction was that they did this to get donald glover to play him! guess that's close to true..
Im gonna wait with this, give it fair chance. IMO ult. spiderman was a great series, so Ill give Bendis the full benfit of the doubt, and hope the series remains as good.


 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:50 pm 
Duke
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:51 pm
Posts: 1384
Location: England

Thanked 0 times for this post.
563 total thanks.
Say thanks


Online
I think there are more black superheroes than latino or asian, because most writers don't have a basis for those. Out of all of the "minorities", there are more later-generational black people in America - therefore there are more likely writers with black friends.

The old adage is "write what you know". So if you have black buddies and the news is always saying that latino gangs are dealing drugs in the city whilst middle-easterners are blowing themselves up and asians are too engrossed in their disgusting food and weird porn - that's what you know.

Any superhero I created would undoubtably be white and either British or American, despite how I'd love to do an Australian or Dutch minority superhero. 95% of the people I know are white and British or American. Especially now I'm no longer in a job that has any employees from mainland Europe.

_________________
Image

Watch Iron Manime!


 Profile WWW  
 

 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:03 pm 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 4:22 pm
Posts: 360
Location: Szerzyny, Poland

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
acelister wrote:
I think there are more black superheroes than latino or asian, because most writers don't have a basis for those. Out of all of the "minorities", there are more later-generational black people in America - therefore there are more likely writers with black friends.

The old adage is "write what you know". So if you have black buddies and the news is always saying that latino gangs are dealing drugs in the city whilst middle-easterners are blowing themselves up and asians are too engrossed in their disgusting food and weird porn - that's what you know.

Any superhero I created would undoubtably be white and either British or American, despite how I'd love to do an Australian or Dutch minority superhero. 95% of the people I know are white and British or American. Especially now I'm no longer in a job that has any employees from mainland Europe.


I agree with you. Only I think there are more latino people in america than black now. I read that 15% are latino, and 14% are black. Can anyone confirm?

Also I've heard the rumors that later in the series Miles is to be revealed to be gay. That's just stupid. I'm sure that if so he will also be left handed, and muslim, just to make him as politically correct as can be.

_________________
6x9=
Spoiler: show
42


Sorry for my bad english. It's not my native language, so I may make mistakes. Correct me if you can.


 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:27 pm 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:15 pm
Posts: 79
Location: Houston, TX

Thanked 0 times for this post.
128 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
razdwaczy wrote:
acelister wrote:
I think there are more black superheroes than latino or asian, because most writers don't have a basis for those. Out of all of the "minorities", there are more later-generational black people in America - therefore there are more likely writers with black friends.

The old adage is "write what you know". So if you have black buddies and the news is always saying that latino gangs are dealing drugs in the city whilst middle-easterners are blowing themselves up and asians are too engrossed in their disgusting food and weird porn - that's what you know.

Any superhero I created would undoubtably be white and either British or American, despite how I'd love to do an Australian or Dutch minority superhero. 95% of the people I know are white and British or American. Especially now I'm no longer in a job that has any employees from mainland Europe.


I agree with you. Only I think there are more latino people in america than black now. I read that 15% are latino, and 14% are black. Can anyone confirm?

Also I've heard the rumors that later in the series Miles is to be revealed to be gay. That's just stupid. I'm sure that if so he will also be left handed, and muslim, just to make him as politically correct as can be.

I'm sure it is something like that. I live in Texas, so there are alot more hispanics than black people here. Hell, my wife is mexican heritage.

As for Miles, I really don't care what his race is as long as his stories are good. I've been extremely pleased with Bendis on USM, so I will be more than happy with it. I just hope USM tries to diverge from the 616 universe even more now. They need to come up with new villains and not just Mysterio, but a bit different or Vulture, but a bit different.


 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Speculating on the new USM Spidey
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:37 am 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:39 am
Posts: 255

Thanked 0 times for this post.
199 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
Well, I just finished reading Ultimate Fallout no.4 and Spider-man is back! and in case you haven't read it it yet or haven't picked up the news of Spidey's return (don't open the spoiler)

Spoiler: show
Seriously?? :shock: You really want to spoil it?? :O


So? How do you think did this "new" Spidey came about getting his powers???

I have two and ⅔ "suspects" based on the UF story is going...
    a) He's been "cooked up" by "evil" Reed Richards....ok, slightly over-cooked :P
    b) He's actually the illegitimate son of Ultimate Nick Fury and Black Widow
    c) And/or Ultimate Black Widow later put him up for adoption to Pedro Morales the wrestler
    d) Last but not least,
    Spoiler: show
    Again, seriously?? :shrug: you're still reading this??

_________________
____________________________________________________
Image


 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:07 pm 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:19 pm
Posts: 519

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
That's what I hoping too, from the interview's I've read it seems like Miles will not just be a copy of Peter but his own person. The rouges gallery is key it's hard to top peters but Miles does need his own set of unique villians and there are still some that we haven't seen yet in the Ultimate Universe such as Molten Man, Hydro Man, Tombstone, & Alister Smieth. They diffinately need a new arch villian.

_________________
Image


 Profile  
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: