Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Problem With Assassin's Creed
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:39 am 
Marquis

Thanked 0 times for this post.
1,267 total thanks.
Say thanks

Lately I've been doing some debating. I love the Assassin's Creed series - I really do. I think it's wonderful. Or at least, I did...

I'm a history major, going for my doctorate, with a focus in medieval history and a nonofficial fascination in the Renaissance. So it made my day when my boyfriend came home one night and said "You've got to see this." And so he started playing it and I loved it. The story, the action, the platforming (although those never were the best in the genre), it was just an easy to love game.

The problem is this: they're simply coming out too fast. You hardly have time to enjoy or really take in everything from one game, before another one comes roaring up and slapping you in your face. And the trouble is - each game isn't improving more than the last.

Assassin's Creed / Assassin's Creed II really set a bar. When Brotherhood came out - it incorporated a new system - new way to command the troops. The puzzles were engaging, the extended time as Desmond was different than previous titles and everything was generally going uphill. It was engaging and interesting.

In comes Revelations.

The problems with this game are numerous. Aside from a few key moments, the game seemed flat. It came off feeling rushed and not as well put together as previous titles. Not only that - but the puzzles and codes vanished leaving you with some less than satisfying platforming and endless hours of Desmond's self pitying life. Between 16 who came off as a drugged out serial killer, and the lack of any true relationships that were worthwhile or sustainable, Ezio's life was no longer as fascinating or interesting as previous games. Not only that, but the few times you see Altaiir, they seemed so insistent on making him out to be a legend - who he was was lost. He was never a humble or quiet individual, and while we can claim character development....some scenes seemed nonsensical.

All that aside though, with the newest Assassin Creed game hitting the stores in less then a year, commercials coming out only three months after Revelations - what was the point in buying a subpar game? Revelations will be collecting dust for another year, and it would have been more enjoyable to go from Brotherhood straight into III. Things could have been wrapped up easier, and the confusing moments at the end with thinly veiled foreshadowing that was more obtrusive than anything else was just frustrating.

I have to admit, after everything that's happened to this series...I almost wish they'd just let it wait for a while. The jump from AC to II was easy and enjoyable. Brotherhood was slightly better - but only because of the ability to command other assassins. Revelations...not so much. It took them two years to make the switch from AC to II, everything else was just one year.

Perhaps if they spent more time on the games - each game would be significantly better. Pumping them out this fast just reminds me of the Naruto craze in the manga world.

It's going to go on forever, they're getting too much money off of the enterprise to stop, and they're dragging this out as long as they can - and they're loosing points on storyline and creativity because of it.

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject: Re: The Problem With Assassin's Creed
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:02 am 
Count

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

they should've stuck on working on III to make a trilogy,instead of spin-offing II for three years.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:34 am 
Marquis

1,267 total thanks.
Say thanks

Agreed. It would have been a logical flow of events - and while I like Ezio, his story could very well have been completed in II, just as Altaiir's was. We understood with Altaiir that his life would have continued and there would have been challenges, but it was obviously inferred by Ezio's and Desmond's existence that he continued to live his life and it was fruitful to some extent. Personally, I didn't need to see him again in Revelations. Especially not with a new voice actor and attitude. It was almost as bad (although at the same time no where near as horrifying) as the Warrior Within in the Prince of Persia series. The moment the prince opened his mouth in that game - I damn near had a heart attack. His reverberating cry of "You BITCH" ruined it and turned it off. So while there was nowhere near the revulsion of that, it was certainly...not happiness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:26 am 
Knight

853 total thanks.
Say thanks

I agree with most of the things you said in the original post. I love the Assassin's Creed series to death. It's probably my second favorite story (or story-line) ever. The writers and creators of AC did a phenomenal job with the series. But the problems that concern you shouldn't be held towards the team that made AC, rather the publisher. Ubisoft has the final word, and they will milk the shit out of the series.

They should have stuck with a simple trilogy, and if they were to release any DLC's or spin-off's, it should have been EXTRA content, content that one can do without and still stay in path the main story-line. The release of Brotherhood and Revelations was a cheap trick. They were no where in comparison to AC1 and AC2. They should not have been released on their own as separate games, rather as actual DLC or at least should have been packed together. I clearly remember completing Revelations in the span of 14 hours or so. That's a terrible amount of game-play time for a game that bases itself on single-player.

That being said, let's cross our fingers and hope that we'll end AC3 on a high note, and not watch it be dragged to the ground by the executives up in Ubisoft because they wish to extract the last dollar out of the fans. I have really high hopes for AC3 from what I've seen so far in promos, trailers, and leaks. I'm expecting something that will surpass AC2 widely in game-play terms and game mechanics. The story revolving around AC is a very sound one, and that something I've never found much fault with, being a history enthusiast myself.

I'll have to disagree with you on the characterization of Ezio, and his development. I thought Revelations was a very fulfilling story, if not a game. His progression was...welcome. I loved discovering more about his life, and the life of Altair. I can find many a fault with game-play, but the characters were sound. The sound-track was exceptional, I purchased the 3-disc collection. I might even go so far to say it was my favorite sound-track out of the entire series. I liked Ezio more in Revelations than I did in any other game. This is the man I was seeking this whole time, a man who was rushing against time, a man who watched his fate unravel in front him. It was good to see him finally come to terms with himself. AC2, he began his personal journey, and in Brotherhood her rose as a leader. Revelations was his time to end everything once and for all.

I don't know if you haven't seen Embers yet or not, but you should definitely watch it if you haven't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:25 am 
Knight

100 total thanks.
Say thanks

AC3 looks good. I think a lot of what went wrong with Revelations (and brotherhood to an extent) had to do with the MP, which I thought became worse from brotherhood to Revelations.. Anytime a single player game attempts to flesh out a MP it takes away from the story (I even thought brotherhood was a bit of a downgrade compared to 2). I think the setting (American Revolution) is pretty awesome and they're doing cool things with the story. I saw the DLC for stopping King Washington (a what if, as if he became king of US) which I wasn't too thrilled about, but I guess we'll see what happens. I thought the best part of Revelations was seeing what ultimately happened, that was cool. The Desmond puzzles were a little annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:02 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

AC3 was fantastic. It really took the gameplay to the next level and completely left it open ended for a 4th game, though im not really sure where they are going to go from here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:16 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I've not picked up an AC game since 2 because I know I wouldn't be able to 100% the achievements due to the inclusion of multiplayer, unlike 1 & 2 which are nicely nestled in my 100% column, rather than for any storyline/quality issue.
Yes, yes, I can be a bit of an achievement slave/whore.

That said, AC3's story hasn't particularly grabbed me from the outside looking in. I'm not that fussed about the American Revolution setting - being a Brit and all. Plus, as much as I enjoyed AC 1 & 2, now that Agent 47 is back I know where I'm getting my assassin fix from.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:35 pm 
Knight

100 total thanks.
Say thanks

ythelastmatt wrote:
AC3 was fantastic. It really took the gameplay to the next level and completely left it open ended for a 4th game, though im not really sure where they are going to go from here.

I agreee :torch: