Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Flash - Upcoming spin off from Arrow
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:52 pm 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
40 total thanks.
Say thanks

http://www.newsarama.com/18522-report-the-flash-running-to-live-action-on-cw-thanks-to-arrow-s-success.html

Quote:
In an update to the original story, CW Executive Mark Pedowitz confirmed the star of the show will be Barry Allen. Currently the main character in DC's ongoing comic book series of the same name, this version of The Flash will start as a recurring character on Arrow in the 2013-2014 second season, Pedowitz confirmed.

Over at THR, they have the direct quote from Pedowitz's presentation at the Television Critics' Association press tour, confirming Allen and stating that the story will start with his origin:

"We plan to introduce the recurring character of Barry Allen who is the Flash. We're planning an origin story and we'll see how it goes. We do want to expand on DC Universe, and we felt this is a very organic way to get there."

Meanwhile, Berlanti is still also devloping the Flash movie for Warner Bros, Pedowitz also confrimed. He's attached to direct the film, as well as write the screenplay with Chris Brancato, Michael Green, Geoff Johns, and Marc Guggenheim, and Pedowitz said there is "no conflict" between the developing TV series and feature film.

Purely speculation, but the similar creative teams and "no conflict" makes it sound like the two could be directly connected.

Original Story: A guy as fast as The Flash can't be contained simply within comic books and animated features. According to a report on Deadline, Barry Allen will next be running back to live-action, on the CW, in the same universe as their existing DC Comics hit, Arrow.

The new TV series, reportedly being "fast-tracked" (too easy), comes from the existing Arrow creators, Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg, plus director David Nutter and writer/DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns. Deadline reports as well that the series will likely spin-off from Arrow, with the character appearing in a late Season 2 episode before heading to his own pilot.

A live-action Flash movie is also rumored as in-development with a target release of 2016, which was reported alongside the news of a Superman/Batman team-up movie, which was confirmed later that day.

While a Wonder Woman series was the first to go into development after the breakaway success of Arrow, that series did not go to pilot, though is reportedly not entirely dead just yet. It is, however, on hold at the network.

The Flash had a TV series for a season back in 1990 starring John Wesley Shipp as Barry Allen, the fastest man alive. While Barry Allen isn't named in the report as being the star character of this series, DC Entertainment's synergistic strategy with the New 52 Reboot of the DC Comics universe would indicate that he takes the lead. The Flash also has his first animated starring role out today, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox.

Arrow season 2 launches Wednesday, October 9, 2013 at 8pm.

So I'm cautiously optimistic given the good effort they put in to Arrow. I'm not sure what it would take to make a really great/convincing live action Flash but lets see what happens.

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:23 pm 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm really excited. Arrow is awesome, and this could be great. I'm especially excited after reading this article

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=84549

Quote:
a conference call earlier today about CW's upcoming take on The Flash, it was confirmed that Barry Allen will feature in three episodes of Arrow, starting with eight and nine (both of which will take place in Starling City). However, he will later return for number twenty and it will be that which offers fans their first look at his world, thereby serving as a backdoor pilot for his own series. "When we first meet Barry Allen, he's just a forensic scientist...an ordinary man," Kreisberg confirmed, adding that the character and series will be grounded in the same reality as Arrow. "Part of the fun for the audience is to see how we view our Arrow take on the Flash legacy. Some of it will feel very familiar to DC Comics, some of it hopefully will feel different, fresh and exciting. The same way we approached Arrow is the same way we're approaching Barry."

As for how they are going about introducing a superpowered character to the realistic world of Arrow, Kreisberg was quick to point out that they've already thought of that and have something planned which will fit in tonally with what's come before. "There will be extraordinary events in the world and the characters will react in the same way. The fact he has superpowers, there's something more relatable about Barry among of the Big Seven of the Justice League. He got his powers by accident; he's not a god, he's not an alien...his reactions to that feel very...human and grounded." Geoff Johns was also on hand to answer questions and had this to say about this interpretation of Barry. "We're also exploring a very personal story for Barry, life as forensic scientist and the people around him, the tragedies and how he deals with them in a very different way than Oliver Queen." He would later add that they're still working on how Barry's powers will be portrayed, but it won't be just "blurring around." It was also confirmed that The Flash will have his classic costume, with Kreisberg saying: "No sweat suits or strange code names; he will be The Flash. We want to do something fresh, new and exciting and give people a real cinematic experience the same way we did with Arrow."

The Flash is going to be the Flash, with the name and a real, costume. No plain color coded clothes for Flash like the Clark in Smallville wore or arrow wears, but an actual costume. I just hope they get the powers right. The old live action Flash basically crippled barry. He literally almost died after running just 2-300 miles, which was pathetic. They can have Flash be cool and not all powerful with his superspeed, hopefully they'll get it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:10 pm 
Knight

40 total thanks.
Say thanks

But what about his actual power making Arrow redundant? As an unpowered I mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:26 pm 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

Why would he make Arrow redundant? Besides the fact that his own show will definately not take place in Starling City like Arrow's does (he'll just be introduced there, he's not going to be staying to fight the crime in that city) in the comics Flash has never made Green arrow redundant when they're on the same team, just like Clark Kent, Flash, the JSA, etc. didn't make Green Arrow redundant on Smallville. Non powered superhero have their own talents and abilities that make them just as useful as powered heroes, comics have been like that forever. It all just depends on the situation. If that wasn't the case, characters like Green Arrow, Batman, The Question, Wild Cat, Hawkeye, Green Hornet and other non powered characters from all the different comic companies would never have lasted. They aren't redundant, they bring different things to the table. Not everything can be solved by super speed or strength. Sometimes Green Arrow can stop/solve things people like Green Lantern or Flash can't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:34 pm 
Knight

40 total thanks.
Say thanks

No and I understand everything you have said. My point is just that in this CW universe Arrow is very vulnerable in terms of physical damage. I guess my concern stems from what you said about how strong Barry will be portrayed. Simply put because of how gritty and tough Oliver had to become to be what he is.....well i don't know maybe it'll be interesting to see how he copes with a powered. Do you see where my concern is coming from though?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:48 pm 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

I do kind of get it, but I think how Oliver reacts will be interesting. I don't think he'll suddenly start getting superpowered villains immediately after Flash starts running around anyway, but I think that eventually having to fight/interact with people who are beyond him in terms of physical attributes will be interesting. He'll have to fight differently to fight/keep up with people like that, and I think that will add something to the show. Not that its really missing anything right now, but by the time Flash has his own show and you start seeing super powered people with any regularity on Arrow (probably the end of season two/beginning of season 3 of Arrow) it will probably be an interesting change of pace and help the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:59 pm 
Knight

40 total thanks.
Say thanks

And saying nothing about the film but I can start to see Oliver perhaps like Affleck played Daredevil. Hammered to pieces every night trying to survive the pain. Despite being a ranged fighter as a bow would seem. Yeah having that adaptation could make or break the whole thing on a tv level production for me. Arrow has never been cheesy you know, cliche and flawed in parts but overall a great job.

Though that also lead me to a fear of how long and drawn out the matering the powers phase will be for Barry....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:41 pm 
Knight

4 total thanks.
Say thanks

Well at first glance... the headpiece looks great and the actor looks great in it!
Here's hoping they can do this well enough to keep it in motion for more than half a season. Given how well Arrow has been done thus far, I have hope for DC TV despite having completely lost faith in DC Comics/Movies.

Code:
http://io9.com/the-tvs-flash-is-here-in-uniform-and-he-looks-perfec-1533492291?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z. The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG & how he uses that experience in a dystopian future. It's free online, mobile-friendly, & presented as a serial, with updates 3 times weekly at SeeDarkly.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:33 pm 
Knight

4 total thanks.
Say thanks

Not bad. Not bad at all.
Code:
http://www.newsarama.com/images/i/000/125/039/original/THE-FLASH-Full-Suit-Image-large.jpg?1394555474

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z. The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG & how he uses that experience in a dystopian future. It's free online, mobile-friendly, & presented as a serial, with updates 3 times weekly at SeeDarkly.com

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:43 pm 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

AnathemaX wrote:
Not bad. Not bad at all.
Code:
http://www.newsarama.com/images/i/000/125/039/original/THE-FLASH-Full-Suit-Image-large.jpg?1394555474

Agreed, I even like the suit in the daytime shots that have recently been released though others are complaining about it already. I can't believe I saw a Facebook post seriously suggesting that the John Wesley Shipp outfit was better than this!?!
Attachment:
Grant-Gustin-Flash-10.jpg
Grant-Gustin-Flash-10.jpg [ 292.44 KiB | Viewed 2877 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:47 am 
Serf

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

On a different note, do any of you think due to the positive reaction of guest starring The Flash that there is a chance that they bring on any other superheroes? Not that they'd get their own shows or any thing, but personally I'd love to see the Green Lantern get a guest spot on either shows.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:04 am 
Knight

4 total thanks.
Say thanks

mrpinktoo wrote:
Agreed, I even like the suit in the daytime shots that have recently been released though others are complaining about it already. I can't believe I saw a Facebook post seriously suggesting that the John Wesley Shipp outfit was better than this!?!

A lot of the complaint I've seen so far has been "baggy joints" and "color" issues.
Though I have to wonder how much of those particular elements might be modified in post-production.
I mean, you have to consider he will not spend the majority of the show in costume, so a little touch-up on his in-costume moments wouldn't be that difficult.

And I can't knock Shipp's for its time. It was part of that whole "muscle-pad in every skintight costume" look that was just the way it was done then. But in today's media, that would be ridiculous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:38 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I love It I am so exited! I could burst just thinking about it.

I just hope they dont ruin it! :flash:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:38 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Interesting and a little funny.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:09 am 
Knight