Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Crow (Remake/Reinventing/Reimagining)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:19 pm 
Knight

Thanked 3 times for this post.
10,322 total thanks.
Say thanks

I don't know how reliable you guys think wikipedia is but I found this article talking about making a The Crow reinvention movie if you get what that means:

Quote:
On December 14, 2008, Stephen Norrington announced in Variety that he planned to write and direct a "reinvention" of The Crow. Norrington distinguished between the original and the remake: “Whereas Proyas’ original was gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style.”[2] Ryan Kavanaugh’s Relativity Media is currently negotiating with Ed Pressman for both the film's rights and financing.

I am not sure what to say to even a reinvention of The Crow movie just cause to me even though its not a remake I still think the first The Crow movie was a really good movie and shouldn't even be reinvented. So what do you all think about a reinvention movie of The Crow?

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:02 pm 
Squire

Thanked 2 times for this post.
18 total thanks.
Say thanks

I very much liked Proyas Version of the Crow... Possibly as much as I disliked the TV-Show. I guess a new version of this story might be fun.

Post subject: Re: The Crow(Reinventing)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:27 pm 
Knight

204 total thanks.
Say thanks

I don't think a remake is really needed, since they could just take any other character and tell its own story, but I'm curious to see how this will turn out if they do go forward with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:45 pm 
Knight

10,322 total thanks.
Say thanks

Its not a remake they call it reinventing it which means like they are re-creating its hard for me to explain but it is explained in the wiki article i have on this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:36 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Reinventing/remake, same thing at the end of the day - taking an old idea and making a new movie based on it.

From the Wiki entry it sounds like they're going for a Bourne style with it. Could work, wouldn't be the Crow without the face paint though.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:45 pm 
Knight

10,322 total thanks.
Say thanks

Yeah thats obvious it wouldnt be Crow without the face paint. I just hope they do it good cause after the first two Crow movies it seemed like they were trying to milk the crow movies for all they were worth.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:47 am 
Knight

204 total thanks.
Say thanks

Yeah, remaking/reinventing, tomato/tomatoe.

I think the first is just fine the way it is. The problem with the other two is that they stayed to close to the formula.

Guy's killed and loses loved one in the process, after he's ressurrected he goes after the gang of quircky evil guys that did him wrong.

The problem is that the plots of the other two were pretty much copy and paste. And they could have given other Crows different face paints, I don't think it should be exactly the same for all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:44 pm 
King

11,665 total thanks.
Say thanks

I disagree, remaking and reinventing are 2 different things. A remake tries hard to stay faithful to the original but just updates it for a new audience. A reinvention takes an idea back to it's roots, starting again with a fresh outlook.

:shrug:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:14 pm 
Knight

204 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on that. The technical term used is always a remake. Doesn't matter how much faithful they are or not to the original.

When they use terms like "re-invention" or "re-imagining" is just to keep fans of the originals and alike from start pissing allover them in anger. They use those terms to keep things a bit more soothing. Just marketing when it boils down to it, really, nothing else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:32 pm 
Duke

Thanked 0 times for this post.
13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Been a while since any update so here goes.

Luke Evans is lined up for the title role.

Director Javier Gutierrez had this to say about how the movie is going to be.

Quote:
We’re not remaking the movie, we’re readapting the book. My metaphor is that there is a Bela Lugosi Dracula and there’s a Francis Ford Coppola Dracula, they use the same material, but you still got two entirely different films.

This one’s going to be closer to Taxi Driver or a John Woo film, and I think there’s room for both of them – part of the appeal of the Crow comics after all is that they can tell very different stories after all.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:19 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I also read that O'Barr wasn't interested - until they stressed that the film was going to be different enough to The Crow that Brandon Lee's Eric Draven would still be the "definitive" version of that character.

If he's convinced, so am I!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:03 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Different director on board now but the lead has dropped out. Looks like this one is going to be in development hell for a bit longer.

The Wrap wrote:
Director Corin Hardy will begin meeting with actors after his film “The Hallow” debuts at Sundance

Relativity and director Corin Hardy are searching for a new star for “The Crow” reboot, as Luke Evans has officially exited the project to pursue other projects, his publicist has confirmed to TheWrap.

Relativity declined to comment for this story.

With comic book movies all the rage these days, “The Crow” is a high-profile project in Relativity’s development stable. The reboot was seen as having plenty of potential given the original film’s status as a cult classic.

Evans was poised to play Eric Draven when F. Javier Gutierrez was attached to direct “The Crow,” but production was delayed and with no new start date in sight, Evans was forced to pass and move on.

He made statements to that effect in December during press rounds for “The Hobbit” but there was always the hope that Relativity could convince him to stick around as it scrambled to find a new filmmaker after Gutierrez left to direct “Rings” for Paramount.

Hardy signed on in early December but has been busy with post-production on his feature debut “The Hallow,” which premieres at Sundance this week. Now that Evans has officially parted ways with the project, Hardy will have the opportunity to put together his own vision for the film.

Despite all the speculation that Evans was preparing to depart the project late last year, he was still listed as starring in “The Crow” on IMDb as of Saturday afternoon.

Asked in December whether “The Crow” was still progressing, Evans offered a candid response to Den of Geek. “It’s not, no. No at the minute… ‘The Crow’ is not, not for me, I think it’s a little… I mean I’m sure it’s going to go ahead at some point, but I have other projects that are greenlit and ready to go and projects that I’m very interested in and you know, I can’t wait much longer!”

Evans made his final decision in the wake of “Dracula Untold’s” international success of ($215 million worldwide) before Relativity hired Hardy, who will start meeting with new actors soon.

Tom Hiddleston was initially sought to star in “The Crow” reboot but he passed on the role despite an impressive makeup test.

Evans will soon be seen in Ben Wheatley’s “High-Rise,” and he’s planning to reteam with the director for “Free Fire.” He recently played the villain “Fast & Furious 6” and will appear in the upcoming short film “Fast & Furious: Supercharged.”

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:09 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Hmmm doesn't seem to be really going anywhere does it? I'll be amazed if it actually ever enters full production!