Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Avengers : Age of Ultron (2015)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:36 am 
Duke

Thanked 0 times for this post.
13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

A bit of news that I'm sure will make some of you happy:

Variety wrote:
Disney chief Bob Iger announced during an earnings call with analysts that Joss Whedon will write and direct "The Avengers 2" and develop a live action Marvel-themed TV show for ABC.

"Joss Whedon has signed an exclusive deal with Marvel Studios for film and television through the end of June 2015," Disney said in a statement. "As part of that deal, Whedon will write and direct Marvel's The Avengers 2 as well as help develop a new live action series for Marvel Television at ABC. He will also contribute creatively to the next phase of Marvel's cinematic universe."

Profile WWW  

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject: Re: The Avengers 2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:23 am 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

sorry to burst your bubble in advance,guys.

but the Avengers live-action TV show won't star the Avengers.

Post subject: Re: The Avengers 2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:18 pm 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

Lex Talionis wrote:
sorry to burst your bubble in advance,guys.

but the Avengers live-action TV show won't star the Avengers.

Doesn't burst my bubble, kinda saves my bubble to be honest. I just couldn't see it working as a spin-off from the movie. And certainly don't see a TV budget that could handle it well.

Keep it a movie franchise with animated TV and I'm a happy camper. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:16 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

This cant be true right? How would they do their backstory without mentioning Magneto?

ComicBookMovie wrote:
EW report that their upcoming issue will feature an extensive look at Marvel's slate of Phase 2 movies, and then drop a bit of a bombshell:

"Some online rumors turn out to be true, however. A source confirms to EW that the twin characters Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch will be joining The Avengers 2, which Whedon hinted at recently when he said he was writing a brother-sister duo into the movie. Feige maintains a poker face on that scoop, saying only: “I’m not confirming or denying. The draft could change six months from now.” "

Many fans figured this was the duo Whedon was talking about, but because both characters are mutants -- and mutants live at Fox -- there were queries about where the rights fell. Feige had stated before that Pietro and Wanda Maximoff were actually fair game for either Marvel or Fox to use, and I guess Marvel got there first! But will they still be mutants in the MCU? And still be Magneto's kids? Only time will tell. EW also confirm that Robert Downey Jr. will return as Tony Stark in that movie...but we already knew that anyway, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:49 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Well I guess its true, dont like it. Seems like a political move just to block Fox from using them. Also, like I suspected, they cant mention Magneto or mutants.

Yahoo! Movies wrote:
Twentieth Century Fox (or, rather, now 21st Century Fox) may own the screen rights to Magneto, the leader of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. But they apparently don't own the screen rights to his kids.

Marvel fans will be happy to know that at least two new characters have been confirmed to appear in "Marvel's The Avengers 2": Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Joss Whedon hinted at last week's Hollywood premiere of "Iron Man 3" that he had written a "brother-sister act" into the script for the "Avengers" sequel, which immediately had fans speculating that he meant the popular mutant duo.

Marvel Studios head honcho Kevin Feige is putting on a poker face about the whole thing, though he emphasizes that nothing's set in stone until the final draft has been set in stone.

"I'm not confirming or denying," said Feige to Entertainment Weekly. "The draft could change six months from now."

Twin siblings Pietro Maximoff, aka Quicksilver, and Wanda Maximoff, aka the Scarlet Witch, made their comics debut in "X-Men" #4 (March 1964). As the offspring of Magneto, they were portrayed as bad guys for a few issues before joining the Avengers in "Avengers" #16 (May 1965). Scarlet Witch has the ability to manipulate probability and reality via her "hexes," which usually manifest as cool-looking "hex bolts" or "hex spheres," while Quicksilver is able to move and think at super-sonic speeds.

Joss Whedon has no doubt come up with a clever way to introduce these two characters into the "Avengers" universe ... and a careful one, at that, as he's unable to mention Magneto or the X-Men or perhaps even the phenomenon of "mutant powers" as they exist in the Marvel universe due to the "X-Men" property belonging to Fox and not Disney. Having Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in "The Avengers 2" also means that we'll never see them in an "X-Men" movie, which rules out any future scenario of being reunited with dear old dad (Ian McKellen/Michael Fassbender, depending on what time it is).

On the assumption that the twins make it to the final shooting draft (and really, why wouldn't they?), let the casting speculation now commence. How about Alexander Skarsgård and Eva Green?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:21 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Black Widow & Hawkeye managed in the first movie without a huge amount of backstory. They'll likely just get by with a retooled movieverse version of an origin or maybe even just be plot points.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:19 am 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

Marvel needs to get the rights to the X-Men back. I bet in retrospect the people in charge regret selling the rights right now. Imagine a X-Men movie franchise done right, like the various Avengers brand movies have been. I actually liked the X-Men trilogy, but I wish Marvel gets the rights back eventually, and that the people that have them now don't have them for ever (which seems like the case now :? ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:17 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I agree Batman...it could be so easy though for these greedy studios to just say hey we will allow a cameo from our characters (Wolverine, Spiderman in Avengers 2) for a small percentage of their screen time.

Without them explaining them as mutants and father of Magneto this will fail. This is all about timing and not letting them go back to fox. This could also be about establishing Quicksilver before DC does Flash...will make him look like a rip off.

Eva Green for Scarlet Witch btw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:38 am 
Knight

4 total thanks.
Say thanks

Though many may not have read the oldest of Avengers or X-men comics or the volumes of their Essential compendiums, those that have can see the inclusion of the Maximoff twins without the mention of Magneto as no big deal.
Yes, both were members of Magneto's Brotherhood but had NO IDEA he was their father until they had been prominent with the Avengers for quite some time; 19 years after they were introduced, I believe (if my review of resources on hand has any validity.) Magneto was ALSO unaware of their relation for as long.

The bottom line is that Magneto was never really all that relevant a part of their story as Avengers. To require adamantly that they HAVE to acknowledge him when they introduce the twins into Marvel's cinematic universe dismisses the mystery inherent in their origins... which are only going to be rewritten as much as they need to be for the story anyway.

I think it would be great to include them and also have no problem with not mentioning their "mutation" as long as the story doesn't focus on some implausible origin of their powers that they can't legitimize to fans or easily ret-con if X-film rights ever revert to Marvel.

Also of note, when you add more and more to an ensemble cast, it becomes harder and harder to give every character adequate "backstory-time." in the film. Sometimes you just have to appreciate that they are there and let your imagination do the rest with what you know of them.

I have a feeling though that a good deal of this story could be a mislead. Not to say that it won't happen but, as another theory, it could be that the characters have actually come up as a potential part of a story on S.H.I.E.L.D. (Whedon has been known to surprise us in the past.) And I would expect nothing less than a 2-part episode if they could make it happen. The show actually offers the best means of giving them a little depth before the movie they may or may not be in...

Of course... we're all still waiting for Wasp...

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z. The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG & how he uses that experience in a dystopian future. It's free online, mobile-friendly, & presented as a serial, with updates 3 times weekly at SeeDarkly.com

Last edited by AnathemaX on Mon May 20, 2013 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:17 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

AnathemaX wrote:
Yes, both were members of Magneto's Brotherhood but had NO IDEA he was their father until they had been prominent with the Avengers for quite some time;

Exactly what I thought of when their names came up. Magneto was only a tiny part of their backstory for a long time.

Bets are, if their backstory is explored at all, it will be a case of "We found them in Romania near Wunder-something mountain and brought them into SHIELD." There won't be any mention of their nanny being a freakin' cow, let alone who their father is.

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:33 am 
Serf

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

They would have to play Scarlet Witch off as having a lesser power set than in the comics - reality warping would not only be difficult to write, but also make her SUPEr powerful....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:04 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

http://movies.yahoo.com wrote:
Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Confirmed As Baddies In ‘Avengers’ Sequel
By Kara Warner | Movie Talk – 17 hours ago

Photo: Marvel.com

Despite the fact that the details of superhero movies are more secretive than the most elite branches of the government these days, Joss Whedon has given ‘Avengers’ fans an early gift by putting an end to the speculation and confirming the identities of the villains in the sequel. Ladies and gentleman, your “Avengers 2” baddies are…Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

The very busy writer/director had recently teased that two new characters, specifically a brother-sister act would be entering the “Avengers” fray, but Whedon did not reveal that said duo would be the troublemakers in the next movie until he spoke with IGN about the subject.

“You know, they had a rough beginning,” Whedon said of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. “They’re interesting to me because they sort of represent the part of the world that wouldn’t necessarily agree with The Avengers. So they’re not there to make things easier. I’m not putting any characters in the movie that will make things easier.”

So who exactly are these villains? Pietro Maximoff, aka Quicksilver, and Wanda Maximoff, aka Scarlet Witch, are twin siblings who actually made their Marvel comics debut in the “X-Men” comics back in 1964. They are the offspring of “X-Men” baddie Magneto and human mother Magda, and thanks to dear old dad’s mutant genes have some nifty abilities.

As his name suggests, Quicksilver moves and thinks at supersonic speeds and Scarlet Witch manipulates probability via hexes. Although in the comics the twins are troublemakers for the Avengers at first, they later join up with Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out in the highly-anticipated sequel, which hits theaters on May 1, 2015.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:18 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Wow...sh*t just got real!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=80162

I say keep them with Fox...they dont work in Avengers if you cant mention back story. Bring on Black Panther please!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:03 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

Robert Downey Jr is locked in for Avengers 2 and 3. This is a less ambitious move than Sony already announcing Amazing Spider-Man 3 and 4...

Also, Kick-Ass is in talks to be Quicksilver. Theortically, this means in Kick-Ass 3, he could be holding a comic featuring himself...

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:46 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Well, here's hoping it's better than the (non)event of the same name.

Profile WWW