Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:42 am 
Knight

Thanked 4 times for this post.
696 total thanks.
Say thanks

This "movie" is not actually a movie. It is a short film (a little less then an hour) starring Superman and introducing Captain Marvel (though he never actually uses that name in the film). The nemesis part is Black Adam who returned to Earth from the outer reaches of the universe where he was banished for misusing the superpowers bestowed upon him by the ancient wizard Shazam. Upon arrival he can mystically track down a young boy named Billy Batson, who is being interviewed by Clark Kent. Batson will eventually be Black Adam's successor. As Black Adam attempts to prevent his replacement Superman intervenes. One of the best lines I heard in a movie this year, animated or live action, was when Black Adam asks Superman if he is fighting for "the wizard". Superman's reply ... "I fight for those who cannot fight for themselves." No trace of irony or played for humor. Just straight faced heroism at it's finest. It was BOSS! I cheered. The rest of the film is all out action of the kind only superheroes that can level buildings can bring to the screen.

Now the bad part. This is , like I said, a very short movie. If you have been collecting the 2-disc versions of DC animated movies lately you will already own the rest of the disc. For those who haven't , it is a treat as you get all the short films you've been missing plus the Captain Marvel story. So it is up to you to decide if you want to buy a movie just for a short film. If you have only been getting the standard versions of the DC animated movies this is the best thing for you as you get four films featuring Green Arrow, Jonah Hex, and Green Spectre.

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:20 am 
Squire

Thanked 3 times for this post.
30 total thanks.
Say thanks

I thought this short was great. I have all the other Showcase shorts, but bought this collection anyway BECAUSE all the shorts were together, PLUS the Captain Marvel story. By the way, I think the Wizard Shazam called Billy, Captain Marvel. As in, "you are now Capt Marvel" or something like that. Anyways, this dvd is worth the pick up, plus it comes with other "stuff" anyway.