Post subject: Spider-Verse
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:54 pm 
Count

Thanked 0 times for this post.
3,874 total thanks.
Say thanks

Coming, November 2014...

Newsarama wrote:
Marvel has announced a press conversation today to reveal "Spider-Verse," a new comics event storyline taking place in Amazing Spider-Man and various tie-in books later this year. This event was teased last week with the massive character illustration by Gabriele Dell’Otto featuring Spider-Man and a then-unrevealed cast of characters obscured by Spider-Man's signature webbing. For today's press conference, Marvel has released a final version of Dell'Otto's image with the identities revealed -- 38 in total.

The call starts with a bang, with Marvel PR Maven Chris D'Lando announcing that Dan Slott and Olivier Coipel are working on "Spider-Verse," a five-part stroyline beginning in November's Amazing Spider-Man #9 with a 5 page prelude in May's Guardians of the Galaxy Free Comic Book Day issue by Slott and Giuseppe Camuncoli. The various tie-in titles will begin to be announced at C2E2, according to Marvel.

"This is every Spider-Man ever teaming up and some in-fighting, as some don't get along," Slott said. "It's epic in its scope."

Slott says there will be "1000s" of Spider-Men in this series, from ones appearing in past history, alternate universes as well as new ones Slott will be creating. But why are they coming together?

"Who the villain is someone we haven't seen in Spider-titles for awhile, but you'll know by FCBD who is showing up," Slott said. "That story will expand who they are, what they do, and how they threaten existence of all Spider-Men everywhere."

Slott says it all starts with a prophecy appearing in Amazing Spider-Man and Superior Spider-Man that says that all spiders would die. Nick Lowe chimes in to tell Slott to spoil the villain, and after some consternation he does so by revealing it's Morlun.

"Morlun is the initial antagonist of the story," Lowe says. "He is one of my favorite Spidey villains of past 15 years. One of the things I've always loved about Morlun is that he always kicks the crap out of Spider-Man. I feel like Spider-Man is never closer to defeat than when he's facing Morlun."

Morlun first appeared in Amazing Spider-Man #30 (Vol. 2) back in 2001, created by J. Michael Straczynski and John Romita Jr. Morlun is a shadowy creature in Marvel lore, said to be a centuries-old creature who feeds on humans with animal-baed powers such as Spider-Man. He was the central antagonist in the 2005 crossover, "The Other," which saw Morlun kill Parker although he was later revived.

Profile WWW  

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:10 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

1000s of Spider-men in a 5 part story? I foresee a shedload of tie-ins for this one.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:15 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

What gives you that idea, Spaced?

Quote:
On the third round of questions, CBR asked how big a story this will be issue-wise, and how long it will take to tell. "The main story unfolds over six issues of 'Amazing Spider-Man,'" Lowe said. "To see the full extent, you're going to have to wait and see. We'll have new series that will launch with this. We'll have miniseries that will run alongside it." Slott added that, like other events, you can read the main series issues alone, or opt for the entire experience with the tie-ins.

Code:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51683

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:33 pm 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

Usually something like this would sound ridiculous '1000s of Spider-men!" however I am actually intrigued, and would probably commit to all the tie-ins. I picked up The Other early last year as I had a resurgent interest in Spider-Man and wanted to play catchup on all the pivotal stories and I really enjoyed it. Morlun is an interesting character for Spider-Man and I love the fact that using him allows for the emphasis on the mystical nature of Spider-Man and his powers, this was a side of The Other that I really enjoyed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:37 am 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

You even enjoyed the Pat Lee art? Because I'd been reading purely Marvel for over two years at the point The Other began, and I had no idea who this blonde guy in Avengers Tower was - until someone literally named him. It was Captain America.

As for the story, I enjoyed it. It gets flack for bringing in a mystical element that was never there before, but what about Blue Beetle 3? Two entire characters had this blue scarab for decades, then some kid finally finds out it's an alien Iron Man suit? Makes as much sense as Spider-Man being a totem.

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:04 am 
Knight

229 total thanks.
Say thanks

Here's the checklist and reading order:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:28 am 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

That's not too bad as tie-ins go, I've seen worse for less intriguing events.
I noticed they will be doing something along that storyline in the Ultimate Spider-Man Season three animation

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:13 pm 
Knight

549 total thanks.
Say thanks

acelister wrote:
You even enjoyed the Pat Lee art? Because I'd been reading purely Marvel for over two years at the point The Other began, and I had no idea who this blonde guy in Avengers Tower was - until someone literally named him. It was Captain America.

holy shit, man! I remember doing that exact same thing! Probably the same issue. I actually remember liking the art but being so confused by the blond guy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:13 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

That's less tie ins than some of the smaller arcs they've done in the past. Do you really think they can do something on this kind of scale within the schedule they've drawn up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:52 am 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

Well I sat down and read the event, and I've got some spoiler-ific questions I need answering. Now, unless Dan Slott is a member, I don't think anyone will be able to answer them, but hey-ho.

Spoiler: show
Why spend two miniseries issues on 60's cartoon Spider-Man when he doesn't even appear in the final battle?
Why do we see the Web Warriors inside a dimensional vortex more than we see them recruiting Spiders?
Why is there a dimensional vortex, when dimensional travel is very much step-in/step-out?
Why is Morlun afraid of 616 Spidey when death is utterly meaningless to an Inheritor?
What was the Inheritors' plan? Stop spider totems from being created - meaning they cut off one of their own food sources! WHY?!
If this was normal behavior, why have we never seen an Inheritor chasing down Rhino as they binge across the multiverse?
Why Ben, why again?! THE FEELS!
How many times will Kaine die before he finally crumbles to dust like EVERY OTHER JACKAL-MADE CLONE?
How did the Inheritor's spider-clones fail, when a couple of versions of Jackal were available to help perfect them?
Why were all Loom World "employees" people who had significance to Spider-Man?

Man, some of those really made me mad...

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:24 am 
Duke

3,439 total thanks.
Say thanks

I can answer this one with certainty

acelister wrote:
What was the Inheritors' plan? Stop spider totems from being created - meaning they cut off one of their own food sources! WHY?!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:39 pm 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

acelister wrote:
Why spend two miniseries issues on 60's cartoon Spider-Man when he doesn't even appear in the final battle?
Why do we see the Web Warriors inside a dimensional vortex more than we see them recruiting Spiders?
yeah that was a shame, I kinda wished we had more tie-ins with the Web Warriors

Quote:
Why is there a dimensional vortex, when dimensional travel is very much step-in/step-out?
maybe the Inharitors would have a harder time tracking them that way ?

Quote:
Why is Morlun afraid of 616 Spidey when death is utterly meaningless to an Inheritor?
he was afraid of the Other, and while the clones pick up where the originals left with all the memories and experiences retained, the original is still dead, it's kinda like the fridge horrors that is the transporters from Star Trek

Quote:
If this was normal behavior, why have we never seen an Inheritor chasing down Rhino as they binge across the multiverse?
who said they didn't ? Daemos certainly didn't mind munching on the Bestials from the 99's Spider-Man Unlimited cartoon, the Spiders were just the priority at the time

Quote:
at least he didn't die this time

Quote:
How many times will Kaine die before he finally crumbles to dust like EVERY OTHER JACKAL-MADE CLONE?
he was cured during Spider-Island

Quote:
How did the Inheritor's spider-clones fail, when a couple of versions of Jackal were available to help perfect them?
they didn't fail to produce Spidey-clones, they failed to produce the clones with the "totem essence" that the Inheritors feed on

Quote:
most if not all the universes that were stitched together were Marvel universes, remember Pirate Namor?

Quote:
Man, some of those really made me mad...
you and me both, buddy

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:31 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

Oh, good catch panamagoo. It was only spelt out in a single panel, though...

Lex, I'll agree/settle on your points. Except these three.

Lex Talionis wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
he was cured during Spider-Island

Cured of what? Being a clone? Even if you mean he is now a 'perfect' clone, so was 616 Ben Reilly and he turned to dust.

Quote:
Quote:
they didn't fail to produce Spidey-clones, they failed to produce the clones with the "totem essence" that the Inheritors feed on

So, they were failed clones. Jackal-made clones are totems, as proven with Kaine and Ben. So why didn't Jenix just make one of the Jackal's to help?

Quote:
Quote:
most if not all the universes that were stitched together were Marvel universes, remember Pirate Namor?

I had absolutely no idea who that was, until someone (Spider-Woman?) said "Pirate Namor"...

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:32 pm 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

Quote:
I just realized you were talking about Earth-94 Ben Reilly and not Earth-3145 Ben Parker, my bad :oops:

Quote:
Cured of what? Being a clone? Even if you mean he is now a 'perfect' clone, so was 616 Ben Reilly and he turned to dust.
during Spider-Island Kaine was cured of his degeneration, all of his genetic scars were healed making him the only perfect 616 Spidey-clone at the time, 616 Ben Reilly however was never cured, but we can assume his counterpart from 94 was at some point, if he didn't just survive on his own all this time without any incidents

Quote:
So, they were failed clones. Jackal-made clones are totems, as proven with Kaine and Ben. So why didn't Jenix just make one of the Jackal's to help?
out of maybe a thousand failed cloning attempts, Ben and Kaine were the exception: 2 in a million, 616 Jackal doesn't have the best track record when it comes to creating clones that don't go crazy and/or degenerate, we can assume his counterparts are just as incompetent in that particular field, Jenix had ages to perfect the cloning procedure, but even this immortal genius had no idea how to replicate the essence, in short: cloning perfect copies is apparently hard in any universe

Quote:
I had absolutely no idea who that was, until someone (Spider-Woman?) said "Pirate Namor"...
Loom World looked pretty diverse imo, but then again we didn't exactly see a lot of it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:41 pm 
Duke

3,439 total thanks.
Say thanks

acelister wrote:

I'm pretty sure Jennix addressed one of his employees as Miles or Dr. Warren... and wasn't reference made as to how the clones would only serve as a snack? Perhaps even the "successful" ones wouldn't provide the sustenance required of the Inheritors? Kaine was the Other, so he's a whole different story

Edit: now that I think back... were any clones ever "eaten"? Maybe they were only targets because they were interfering in the Inheritors' plans...