Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: So did everyone stop watching wrestling?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:33 am 
Squire

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Dead forum. Damn.

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:51 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

I still try to catch TNA whenever I can but gave up on WWE ages ago. Time's the big thing for me, never seem to have enough of it.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:26 pm 
Knight

40 total thanks.
Say thanks

Wrestling died with the attitude era. After a few drinks I throw on Rise and Fall of ECW once a year or so but that's about it.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:12 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

DrainBamaged wrote:
Wrestling died with the attitude era. After a few drinks I throw on Rise and Fall of ECW once a year or so but that's about it.

I think once Vince bought the enemy is when it started going down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:56 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

WCW was already on it's knees by the time McMahon stepped in. It could have all come good again if they hadn't screwed up the Invasion angle so badly.

I've got a stack of DVDs I'll stick on every now and again (Rise & Fall of ECW, Monday Night Wars, the odd quality match from a PPV) but my current watching is the odd Sunday night TNA or some matches on Youtube if I get a recommendation.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:47 am 
Knight

621 total thanks.
Say thanks

well, Jesus Kennedy McChrist, this is a depressingly misinformed thread.

ok...

DrainBamaged wrote:
Wrestling died with the attitude era.

NO. tell that to the hundreds of indie players who worked at their craft beyond that era, and continue to do so.

ThanoseiD wrote:
I think once Vince bought the enemy is when it started going down.

NO. changed the playing field, yes. but that doesn't make a damn bit of difference when regional and minor promotions are still developing future stars.

Spaced wrote:
I still try to catch TNA whenever I can but gave up on WWE ages ago.

holy fucking christ, Spaced. I'd say you've got it backwards, buddy.

current TNA - with a tiny smattering of exceptions - is fundamentally godawful. Dixie Carter has no idea what she's doing in front of a camera, let alone behind it.

current WWE, however, is positively fucking booming. the NXT roster is loaded with talent, much of which is steadily making its way onto the main stage. and WMXXX showed just how bright the future could be.

and all that's coming from a kid who grew up a WCW fan, a teen who grew up an ECW fan, and a twentysomething TNA fan in the 'golden days'.

pro wrestling is what it is. fan-types will come and go. but it ain't even close to dying.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:06 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Envy wrote:
holy fucking christ, Spaced. I'd say you've got it backwards, buddy.

current TNA - with a tiny smattering of exceptions - is fundamentally godawful. Dixie Carter has no idea what she's doing in front of a camera, let alone behind it.

current WWE, however, is positively fucking booming. the NXT roster is loaded with talent, much of which is steadily making its way onto the main stage. and WMXXX showed just how bright the future could be.

and all that's coming from a kid who grew up a WCW fan, a teen who grew up an ECW fan, and a twentysomething TNA fan in the 'golden days'.

pro wrestling is what it is. fan-types will come and go. but it ain't even close to dying.

Fair enough. TNA has some guys I'm still interested in watching and is usually fun SYBO viewing.

I've dipped into WWE a few times but not seen much worth hanging around for. Punk & Heyman are the only pluses but other than that...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:25 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Knight wrote:
NO. changed the playing field, yes. but that doesn't make a damn bit of difference when regional and minor promotions are still developing future stars.

I meant mainstream wrestling.

R.I.P. Warrior

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:02 am 
Knight

621 total thanks.
Say thanks

ThanoseiD wrote:
Knight wrote:

I meant mainstream wrestling.

indeed. the point doesn't change.

mainstream? just look at the current product - the most over guy in the entire world right now is world champ. and rightfully so.

and yet... I can remember, quite clearly, him working with and training a close friend of mine not eight or nine years ago, when it was her ambition to be part of that world. when he was still an indy darling, best known as protege of the likes of William Regal, and sporting a bald head and a cape.

take it further, and look at your newly-crowned 'Divas' (still hate that word) champ. I was cheering for her when she was little Britany Knight, long before WWE Developmental came-a-calling.

look at the former John Moxley. look at the former Tyler Black. look at the newest 'Paul Heyman Guy'.

I could go on.

regardless of observation or perspective, my point stands.

'mainstream wrestling' never 'went down'. if anything, at the worst of times it hobbled along on a wobbly plateau. but nothing less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:40 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm not talking about it almost being on life support. It just dipped it quality.

You're putting too much perspective on "wrestling" instead of an overall view of what the E is. WWE isn't ROH or NJPW; you're not going to get 4 star matches from everyone. You need storylines and personality that can make the product better.

You need competition to better your product. The E was pretty good even after WCW was gone, but it took a dip when the PG Era took off. That's when I stopped watching. Even when I came back around there was still some shit that was terribly booked.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:18 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Envy wrote:
mainstream? just look at the current product - the most over guy in the entire world right now is world champ. and rightfully so.

John Cena is world champion?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:19 pm 
Knight

40 total thanks.
Say thanks

Envy wrote:
mainstream? just look at the current product - the most over guy in the entire world right now is world champ.

Thought Punk left?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:12 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Daniel Bryan AKA American Dragon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:30 am 
Knight

40 total thanks.
Say thanks

Yeah I was winding you up, let's see how fast shouting out yes dries up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:31 am 
Knight

621 total thanks.
Say thanks

ThanoseiD wrote:
You're putting too much perspective on "wrestling" instead of an overall view of what the E is.

nah, I'm really not. but thanks for the achingly fashionable presumption. ;)

and, indeed, whaddayaknow - they have storylines and personality that make the product better! they're right there, on your plasma screens and your grainy streams, ready and waiting to entertain you! those names I mentioned? they do that too!!

(that said, you're not gonna get 'four star matches' from everyone in ROH and NJPW, either. but that's by the by. :P)

even so, don't recall that being the point of this discussion, though, so...

ThanoseiD wrote:
You need competition to better your product.

not gonna disagree with that. competition can breed creativity, no doubt.

and whilst we likely will never see 'competition' in the top end of the business again, at least we will always see 'alternatives'.

ThanoseiD wrote:
The E was pretty good even after WCW was gone, but it took a dip when the PG Era took off. That's when I stopped watching. Even when I came back around there was still some shit that was terribly booked.

there always has been, and always will be, terribly booked shit. nature of the business.

pro wrestling's always ridden a wave of the good mixed with the crap. as fans, our perspectives change, and we turn on to some things and not others. but it didn't get worse. nor did it get better. I'd proffer it's just the same as it's always been. it's simply our personal tastes that change.

/2¢

DrainBamaged wrote:
Yeah I was winding you up, let's see how fast shouting out yes dries up.

*dusts*

no you weren't, Drain. you were attempting to wind me up, not poor Thanos, there. pay attention! :P

although, as ever, I do love your cynicism. it tastes like candy.

and bless your little rock n' roll heart. I'm as much of a Punk fan as any, but he hasn't been 'the most over guy in the world' for a long time.

honestly... anyone dismissing the extent of Bryan's overness is kidding themselves and no-one else. as for the 'Yes!' chant drying up? well it's been going strong for a good two years plus, now, so... you tell me.

he's over. for an absolute fucking multitude of factors. and most of all, he deserves it.