Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Secret Wars Event Discussion
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:25 pm 
Duke

Thanked 0 times for this post.
563 total thanks.
Say thanks

So it's finally over, the very last issue of the event hits stands today (likely to be followed by a bunch of stupid tie-ins that don't count, no doubt).

So what did everyone think? Worth the wait? Tied up all loose ends? Left with more questions than answers?

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:08 am 
Knight

597 total thanks.
Say thanks

I think the ending sux. Its ends too abruptly, kinda rushed? It makes you ask yourself "at the end of it what did the storyline contribute to the marvel universe?" ahem 'sell books' ahem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:19 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

I've just finished reading the 9 issues through from start to finish and I have to put my hat in the liked it ring.

<<<<SPOILERS AHEAD>>>>

Since I remember reading the original Secret Wars many years ago, it's easy to see the parallels with this one, not in the details but in certain large sweeps - involvement of Beyonder(s), patchwork Battleworld, the Miracle Man, Doom becoming omnipotent, and his fall coming from doubt. It's a bit like the parallels between the first Star Wars movie and the latest one, some similar plot points but a new story nevertheless. I can imagine Hickman reading the original and thinking "there's some good stuff, some great ideas, but now, all these years later, we can do even better."

I thought the final confrontation between Victor and Reed was very well done, suited their characters and their history down to the ground. Reed's acknowledgement of Doom's accomplishment compared to his own and yet Doom's ultimate failure to fully capitalise on it is well reflected in the ending with Reed doing the one thing Victor could not, and would never do for his enemy.

The Nerdist review probably put it best. As a big Marvel world-changing event - fun while it lasted but it doesn't seem to have changed that much (so far anyway) except with Spiderman and the FF (who were also pretty much the only ones affected by the original Secret Wars). As an ultimate confrontation between Marvel's first hero and first villain - brilliant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:53 pm 
Knight

955 total thanks.
Say thanks

I gave this event a shot and read it all in one evening, and I gut to say I hate it. I did not like the story, the writing or the art as well. I just can not imagine why issue number 1 of this miniseries was number one at all. :hulk:

Post subject: Re: Secret Wars Event Discussion
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:25 pm 
Serf

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I too hated it and went and reread the original. I think there were more artistry in the new version. The old on was only about action. The artistry was the only redeeming aspect of it. One Star.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:21 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm really tired of these tentpole events. I'm get why they exist but I'd just really like some kind of extended respite from all this crossing over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:29 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I thought this was probably the best Marvel event since the time when Civil War, Secret Invasion, and World War Hulk were happening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:52 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

I will add my vote to the plus side.

It was really weird having these two DC and Marvel events at the same time. Not that the two big guys were having annual events, that's normal, but the setup in particular.

Looking back to the mid 80s:

Original Marvel Secret Wars: god-like being grabs several heroes and villains together, puts them on a world he created, tells them to have at it. Big fights, some interesting side dramas, everyone goes home mostly unchanged (except Spider-Man and Thing and a few lesser characters).

DC Crisis on Infinite Earths: Earths and their associated universes are being destroyed. Heroes from all over try to cope, save lives, figure out how to stop it, mostly unsuccessfully. A handful of earths are "saved" and merged resulting in some major resets and some lesser changes. Great drama and story-telling, long-lasting effects.

2017:

DC Convergence: god-like being grabs several heroes and villains (and their cities, usually just before their destruction), puts them together on a special planet, tells them to go at it. Mixture of teamups and fights, some good some bad, at end most go home unchanged (apart from return of post-crisis Superman).

Marvel new Secret Wars: Earths and their associated universes are being destroyed. heroes try to cope, save lives, figure out how to stop it, mostly unsuccessfully. A couple of earths are saved, merged into a new earth.

Obviously there are differences but I found it interesting. As to the stories themselves, the original Secret Wars was a fun rollicking adventure and Doom was excellent as usual. Crisis however way overshadowed it. Terrific story with long lasting consequences. In the latest round, the Convergence concept was good but I found the execution to be unsatisfying. The latest Secret Wars gripped me from the first page to the last. Once again Doom was top notch and Reed's victory over him made perfect sense, with the characterisation of the two ringing absolutely true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:57 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

i like secret war, my point of view it is the best work of marvel

Profile WWW