All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: comics for teenagers learning English as a second language
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:41 am 
Serf

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Hi,
I'm totally new to this forum and the world of comics in general, so I really hope someone 'll be able to help me.
I teach English in France and I believe that reading books for pleasure can be motivating to learn a foreign language and the good thing about comics is that you have great books and stories, nice scripts and of course fantastic vignettes that help you to understand the story but here is my problem: I don't know what to read as there is far too much choice :)

Which comics might suit teenagers' tastes? my students are between 10 and 15, they hate babyish stories but they are obviously not ready to read books for adults. Do you know short comics (60-100 pages max) with a good plot not too difficult to understand and a language clear enough to understand the story with a minimum of effort? As the books will be bought for school use, I can't choose those containing too many swear words and too much violence...
Do you know some that could suit girls' tastes as well?
thank you so much for your help
matthew

Matthew
thank you so much for your help

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject: Re: comics for teenagers learning English as a second langu
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:16 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

From my experience(and I'm not English) if they know English good enough to read in it, they'll do just fine. If they wont understand single words, they can always use a dictionary, or ask you.
From my experience: Grant Morrison is a big no. I started reading his comics, and the language and storyline was too hard for me to understand. No Moore, for the same reason.
Every girl that likes comics, I know likes Manga. Only manga I've read as a teenager was Bleach, and Death Note.

And if you're learning in france the problem is that best comic books with 60-100 pages are created in their language(Interestingly mostly by Belgians, and Polish - Asterix, Thorgal, Chninkel, Yans)

Oh and I understand that Donald Duck is out of the question?

Oh and you can show them some classics, like old Superman books from the 90.

You may ask me if you don't know if something is too difficult, because I'm learning english too.

Sorry for my bad english. It's not my native language, so I may make mistakes. Correct me if you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:56 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

I always recommend Bone - simplistic but accessible art style with plenty of well defined characters, good storytelling & humour.

For a more traditional superhero style of book then some of the Marvel Adventures line of comics might be worth a try.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: comics for teenagers learning English as a second langu
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:19 pm 
Serf

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

thank you very much for your help. I've had a look at bones on Amazon and I think the vocab is a bit complex for 14yo kids. The problem is they don't like reading French books, so imagine reading English books (sir I don't understand every word, so I don't understand the story, it's too difficult bla bla bla....) the other problem is that the drawings don't always make the text clearer (and of course they are not curious at all, they won't be patient enough to open a dictionary more than twice). Sorry to be so fussy :shrug:
could you give me other titles so that I can take a look at the books on the internet?

@razdwaczy: what are your favorite comics?