Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Comic books from games
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:10 pm 
Squire

Thanked 3 times for this post.
31 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm a keen fan of computer games and one enjoyable game is Freedom Force with it's homage to the Kirby and Silver Age comics. It had a short lived comic book series I think. my question is... what has been the most successful spinoff comic from a game?

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:23 am 
Knight

61 total thanks.
Say thanks

I figured this would be the appropriate place to ask, does comic kingdom post video game comics? they're hard to find since they're under marginal publishers but mainly I'm looking for things like the Killer 7 manga and the Metal Gear graphic novel, maybe there should be a specific section here

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:39 am 
King

11,665 total thanks.
Say thanks

marcog.1211 wrote:
I figured this would be the appropriate place to ask, does comic kingdom post video game comics? they're hard to find since they're under marginal publishers but mainly I'm looking for things like the Killer 7 manga and the Metal Gear graphic novel, maybe there should be a specific section here

We do. Put a post in the Request section and someone will get hold of it for you. There's not enough of them to warrant a seperate section though, it'll just be put in one of the currently existing sections.

Now, back on topic.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:30 am 
Knight

1,300 total thanks.
Say thanks

Quote:
what has been the most successful spinoff comic from a game?

Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog apparently reached its 200th issue recently (none of which I've read), which probably makes it the longest running and arguably the most successful computer game spinoff.

Other spinoffs include StreetFighter, Halo (by Bendis and Maleev), Doom (drawn by that Neal Adams wannabe, Tom Grindberg), Mortal Kombat, Silent Hill, Darkstalkers, Tomb Raider (with some great Adam Hughes covers), Pokemon Adventures, Super Mario Adventures, the Legend of Zelda, and Metal Gear Solid (drawn by Australia's answer to Bill Sienkiewicz, Ashley Wood).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:21 pm 
King

11,665 total thanks.
Say thanks

Read one or two Street Fighter issues and enjoyed those. Fans of the Halo games seem to like the comics too.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:12 pm 
Squire

79 total thanks.
Say thanks

Lee Kirby Oswald wrote:
Quote:
what has been the most successful spinoff comic from a game?

Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog apparently reached its 200th issue recently (none of which I've read), which probably makes it the longest running and arguably the most successful computer game spinoff.

Other spinoffs include StreetFighter, Halo (by Bendis and Maleev), Doom (drawn by that Neal Adams wannabe, Tom Grindberg), Mortal Kombat, Silent Hill, Darkstalkers, Tomb Raider (with some great Adam Hughes covers), Pokemon Adventures, Super Mario Adventures, the Legend of Zelda, and Metal Gear Solid (drawn by Australia's answer to Bill Sienkiewicz, Ashley Wood).

Bendis writes Halo? Well there's another reason to read it. Halo fiction is really good. I've loved the few books I've read (Fall of Reach in particular).

Time to download some Halo comics.

Post subject: Re: Comic books from games
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:37 pm 
Knight

696 total thanks.
Say thanks

City of Heroes, an super-hero theme MMORPG, spawned a spin-off comic book line published by Blue king Studios (volume one, and the superior one imho) and Top Cow (volume two). Top Cow has gathered the issues they put out into a graphic novel, labelled "part 1" I don't know if there wa sa part two.

Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Heroes_comic_book

P.S. DC also published some comics based on Dungeons & Dragons. But D&D is/was a tabletop roleplaying game first that spawned a cartoon series in the 80s, several video games, an MMORPG, and a board game. So I don't know if you would count those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:11 pm 
Squire

Thanked 2 times for this post.
23 total thanks.
Say thanks

Bloodrayne
God of war
Resident Evil
Megaman