Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Doomsday Clock
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:53 pm 
Squire

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks

How is no one talking about this? Not just the material inside but the amount of time it's taken to get a complete run of it? We're looking at it being. at this point, 8 months behind where they said it would end originally. Do you guys think this is messing up how some things are supposed to flow in the comics>?

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:50 pm 
Duke

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

It’s either messing up the continuity or they’re waiting for the continuity to meet up with it at the end.

Regardless, it’s bloody crazy how long the delays have become now! I know some people have blamed the artist, others are blaming Johns. Or maybe it’s editorial?

I honestly don’t know, but I just wish they’d get on with it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:03 pm 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

I stopped reading after the second issue and decided I would wait for the entire run. Probably a good thing. But considering what they have done with Heroes in Crisis, I feel lite I would just be very disappointed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:57 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

Mostly I have stopped reading it.

Every so often I catch up a few issues but it's not holding me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:07 am 
Knight

24 total thanks.
Say thanks

Its a stunning visual treat and a good read, but the pain of the waiting time is poor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:58 pm 
Duke

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Flipping heck - I was just reading about the announcement for Doomsday Clock collection 1 & 2 (2 is scheduled for release in May 2020 - they might manage to get all 12 issues done by then!) and I hadn’t realised that it started in 2017!! That is insane!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:41 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

Yes I thought announcing the collected version before the series is completed was a bit silly, and only emphasises how ridiculously long it has taken. For something that it seemed like Johns was going to use to explain the whole Rebirth thingy, being spread over so many years just saps away any interest and excitement. I am still interested to see how it turns out but if it has impact on the existing universe it will only be at the end that anyone will get worked up. I imagine most people are only reading it "because", not for any "can't wait to see how it turns out".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:56 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

I felt it was an utter waste of time reading this.

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:02 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

I feel somewhat conflicted. Johns can be very hit and miss for me and this feels like a bit of both.

While I admired what the original Watchmen achieved it has never been one of my favourites. The attempt to create something in a style fitting with the original has on the whole succeeded I think. Also the resolution in the final issue was - almost satisfying. I like that instead of fighting, Superman helped turn Manhattan around to a new direction. Very Superman.

The writing of the final issue is not bad but I have seen at least three reviewers, each adamant, differing on who ended up on which Earth at the end so something went wrong there. There is an enjoyable sense of hope and yet there are so many plots that are left unanswered. After all that happened all the nations become friends again, just like that? Really?

The huge delay in completing each issue has had a very negative impact on the story. If it were a complete stand-alone it wouldn't matter too much, just be annoying, but for something that implied it would clear up the mess of the current DCU it has been disastrous. A lot of fans seem so excited about the possibility of Earth-1985 existing as well as maybe future events (although I wouldn't hold my breath on those). I'm not so sure. Convergence did something very similar (in making it possible for characters and universes written off to be brought back) but apart from Superman and Lois and Jon it made absolutely no difference.

It did establish the latest Legion as being in-universe as well as the JSA so that is nice, but the appearance of the new Legion is the only connection to anything else DC has published recently. (If I have missed something please let me know.)

I think this is one whose importance will only be determined by future years DC publishing. If threads from the series are picked up on and the DCU written ongoing as affected by these events then this could become pivotal. OTOH I can also see it being largely ignored in which case it becomes a side story or even an alternate universe story. There has been no mention of the huge government-created meta-humans plot in other books, and the battles and catastrophic events have not been mentioned in Superman or Justice League or any other books and they should have been.

Did I enjoy it? Not really although I admired some of the plots. I think (?) I like what it attempted to do but the execution not so much. I may go back and read it in one sitting and see if that improves it - but I am not sure it is worth doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 am 
Knight

24 total thanks.
Say thanks

I stuck with Doomsday fro issue 1, often re-reading issues before the next one when it eventually arrived, yes the delay was messy, but overall for me it was an enjoyable story. A fitting ending wrt Superman and his importance to the entire superhero idea and the DCU, weirdly I hope they do more with the Watchmen characters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:06 am 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

I honestly thought it was a separate continuity because of all of the "Superman Theory" chatter, and the protests against Batman that had apparently been ongoing. Then there's Lex Luthor being normal.

But then they mention Jon Kent, and that something happened at Sanctuary (Heroes in Crisis), before tripling down with it being in the main continuity by having Manhattan basically state it outright.

There are enjoyable parts, and it may benefit from rereading, but I read through in a couple of sittings and yeah, the Mytzlplk excuse was better than "I wanted to see what happened"...

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Doomsday Clock
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:58 pm 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

It really felt isolated from continuity, in fact I'd like to think that Manhattan removed all traces and influence of himself from the universe after his experiment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:23 am 
Duke

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

It suffered greatly from the delays. I re-read it from issue 1 before reading issue 12 and it was really good, to be honest, and it told a good story in the end.

As for where it fits - it was always in the future of DC comics current timeline, so it is after the whole Justice League / Injustice Doom War story & Jon heading off to the future (even if his Legion seems to be slightly different to the one introduced back into continuity with Doomsday Clock).

Some things are going to be easier to meld back into the continuity, like Clark’s parents now being alive or the JSA being present in the past, but it’s going to be interesting to see how they get Lex back to a human business man instead of the hybrid thing he is currently in Justice League. Or the whole Superman identity reveal. Or the fact Alfred is in this future.

Although there are “signs” that Superboy-Prime is about to land in Shazam! so maybe Johns has a plan for this all along?? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But it was a good way to re-introduce the multiverse (who wants to visit Earth-85?) in my opinion & a sequel set on the Watchmen Earth to follow on THAT ending would certainly be interesting (someone ask Rich at Bleeding Cool - is a sequel to the “unauthorised” sequel of The Watchmen still unauthorised or does it become authorised as it’s a sequel to the sequel? :lol: )

It will certainly be interesting to see where it all goes from here. 5G?

Hmmmm still not sure on that one, but I’ll try it.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:59 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

dragonwing wrote:
it’s going to be interesting to see how they get Lex back to a human business man instead of the hybrid thing he is currently in Justice League.

Year of Villain: Lex Luthor hints at that resolution.

dragonwing wrote:
Or the whole Superman identity reveal.

I'm not up to date on Superman/Action Comics, so haven't gotten to that yet, but I can only assume they'll find an easy way to undo it like just pre-Rebirth.

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:36 pm 
Duke

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Thanks ace, I haven’t actually bothered with a lot of the Year of the Villain tie ins so I’ll give it a look