Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: HoX/PoX Discussion thread
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:46 pm 
Marquis

Thanked 0 times for this post.
1,004 total thanks.
Say thanks

Alright fellow readers - We're over halfway through the story at this point and I feel that everything is as clear as mud.

Thoughts? Theories? Likes? Hates?

Come one come all!

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:49 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

Just read HoX 4.

SPOILERS

The early issues had me wondering what was happening. The world seemed so different to what I knew. However I haven't been following X-Men properly for years so things could have changed.

Then the Moira X story came. That was a real good yarn. Her reliving power is really interesting, and suddenly we can see all these different realities she has lived through. The timeline at the end seemed to show that the reality we are most familiar with is the one before the one in these books perhaps? Still lots of questions but interesting. Certainly feels like a different take on Prof X. He seems almost more Magneto than Magneto.

Now in HoX 4 many of the major characters are dead. I can't see this reality lasting. Looks like the next couple of issues will tell out the failure of this reality and Moira establishing one final one, which perhaps will be the reality ongoing. To fit in with the rest of the Marvel Universe history it will have to be fairly similar to what has gone before. Or perhaps it will be what we are used to but this series will have set a different attitude due to Moira somehow communicating past lives to the rest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:27 am 
Knight

220 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm guessing this is Moira's 6th life that was skipped over in HoX #2. Still, it's a great issue. Days of Past's Future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:30 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

I had forgotten about the missing sixth life. Could be. Skipping that life suggests that it has some peculiar significance. Still the tenth life also fits up to the current series with several matching points in her life timeline.
Have to wait and see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:21 pm 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

I love me some of that timey-wimey stuff. And gotta say I am loving this storyline. Age of X-Man wasn't bad but it didn't set my world alight, so this HOX-POX stuff for me is killing it. Just can't wait to see how it affects the new launches after the event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:16 pm 
Marquis

1,004 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm really impressed with how Hickman's been able to give a nod to previous continuity while still bringing about something completely new.

Any current ideas to what might end up happening from here on out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:59 pm 
Marquis

1,004 total thanks.
Say thanks

Actually I had a bigger thought. What if all of this is sleight of hand. He's showing us all this noise but in reality, the mutants are gone.

Like. Krakoa/Sinister managed to replicate mutants, make decoy bodies. So the 'deaths' that we saw last issue, where all the X-Men perish... those are just podlings. The real mutants are off somewhere, in space. Which is why the teams look all jacked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:47 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

Written before reading this week's (House #5) issue:

The first issue opens with Xavier cloning Jean and Scott - so nobody is dead, it was clones. Or they're going to be cloned. Hence the big focus on Sinister and constant mentions of Sinister cloning mutants in one of the timelines.

Also, Moira X's power being resurrection - but it's not? Her power is mental time travel, activated when she dies. Does explain how she got the Legacy Virus, though.

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:23 pm 
Marquis

1,004 total thanks.
Say thanks

This week's issue verified what many of us thought, clones. Just not in any way that was expected...which I really dig. He didn't go the lazy route with just using Sinister all the way through..

He really DUG into that X-Men history. He brought forward some well liked characters, used a Mike Carey-esque idea (I'm thinking Age of X where there was the 'protectors' that everyone worshipped.. the five in this story)

I am hyped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:36 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

It kinda makes the "No more!" ending stupid. It's hand waved away, but clearly this was always the plan, so it feels very much like a forced cliffhanger.

With all of this setup and text pieces, I feel like we're not getting much story. It's like the two Avengers titles every month where people just whined about "THE CONVERGENCE IS COMING!!!!!!" for 44 pages...

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:42 pm 
Marquis

1,004 total thanks.
Say thanks

OH it's definitely hand waving. This is part of the issue with comics currently.. decompressing. Instead of trying to tell a tight story... it is all over the place.

/rant

It's not bad enough that comics are now base $4 American an issue but it takes 6 issues to finish what used to be a one and done story.

Yes this is fun because Hickman IS a smart writer, however the companies are still trying to get blood from a stone.

/end rant

I want to just sit and read it ALL at once, which is how it probably should be read.

Post subject: Re: HoX/PoX Discussion thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:09 pm 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

I feel you Disel.

These days everything is written with trade paperback in mind, most of the famous works of fiction such as the d'Artagnan Romances started as serials before being collected, less heard of today for common literature formats, even TV Shows are premiering with all the episodes in the season thanks to the growing binge streaming culture.

Unfortunately it will properly take another crash or two before the comic industry figures out that people are no longer seeing buying pieces of a story (13 cents per page minus ads *at least*) as economical or narratively pleasing anymore and stop that nonsense known as comic book issues completely

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:20 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

While House and Powers had interesting ideas, it felt basically like a glorified Alpha event issue, or Marvel Point One-style thing. I don't feel like it had a resolution at the end of the story...

I would be interested in seeing a re-edit of the whole thing, all set chronologically.

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:25 pm 
Marquis

1,004 total thanks.
Say thanks

Well I've got TWO things to say.

1. Ask and you shall receive. Chornoboro put out a chronological order:

Spoiler: show
https://mega.nz/#!4TxmnQzC!qat2kfRNBXi5Vi_ZFPeUYaCl-URy-547wO457z3d1RU

2. I read X-Men #1 and I feel like the mutants they're bringing back are from a time where they were most likely to follow Xavier. Gabriel was acting like a teenager or a young adult, not someone who almost destroyed all of the universe in a war with Black Bolt.

The scarier thing... People are in on it. Cyclops, Polaris, anyone who sees that Gabriel isn't....insane, should note that he's not normal.