Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Batman #50 Discussion (Definite Spoilers!)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:18 pm 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I had to wait until I got home from work to finally get a chance to read Batman #50 and now I have I want to talk about it!!

So first off - I’m sure everyone heard how DC spoiled the outcome of the “Wedding Issue” on Monday via the New York Times. Kind of a dick move - & the NYT should NOT have had the spoiler in the article title (wtf? Why would you do that?) and at the time I didn’t really understand why they did it.

Now I’ve read the actual issue, including the final coda that wasn’t spoiled by the NYT (but was elsewhere because....this is the Internet!) and I think I understand why but we’ll get to that in a minute.

For the issue itself, I really actually enjoyed it. I’ll be honest & say that when Tom King first took over from ascot Snyder I wasn’t totally taken with his style of telling a Batman story but as the run has gone on I’ve really changed my mind & am really enjoying it now. That said, I do sometimes think he takes an entire issue to tell a two second story, but I’ll live with those issues as long as they don’t become the norm.

As for this issue........even knowing the outcome (yeah, I got spoiled) I still really enjoyed it. The tale being told between Batman & Catwoman worked well for me - yes, it was more repition of dialogue from both characters but I actually liked that.

And it actually led to a logical reason for
Spoiler: show
Catwoman to decide that she has to sacrifice her love & happiness knowing if she doesn’t she could cause the world to lose Batman - which it needs. This is really quite sad, but made sense when taken with other elements in the run - Booster showing her the world with Batman, Joker explaining how he can’t be stopped if Batma is happy etc
and it’s that realisation that actually makes the story make sense.

Then the final coda reveal that it is all
a part of Bane & Psycho Pirates plans to break the Bat again - but this time mentally rather than physically - if everything is now canon again then Bane has already tried a physical break which failed so now he is trying mental. Makes sense.

I’ll admit that I am confused by the presence of
Gotham Girl & Flashpoint Batman (if that’s actually who it is)
but I now have faith that this will be explained in the next 50 issues. And will possibly tie back in to
Gotham Girls future narration about how her killing of her brother was where it all began & leads to Bruce’s possible death

And finally on the subject of the issue proper - there were a couple of pages that nearly brought tears to my eyes - the main one being the one page with Alfred & Bruce. If nothing else, that page is perfect.

No no - it’s just dust in my eye, honest *sniff*

Anyway......

:)

So why did DC spoil this issue? Honestly I think it was because
the comics world seemed to be mostly taken with the Bat/Cat wedding & believing that it was actually going to happen. Part of that was the marketing campaign, with all the tie in issues & everything else - I mean, DC wouldn’t realise all of that without actually going through with it, would they?

Well.....yeah, they would.

And I think it was that realisation that the Wednesday of release, with the midnight openings etc were going to cause a lot of bad feeling when people read the issue & realised it had all been a ruse all along.

At the point people would have been outraged - as they were when the spoilers leaked (trust me, I was too - I mean....maybe not “outraged” but I did fall into the “well, maybe I’ll just cancel my sub after #50) - without any warning. At least this way DC got out in front of it, kind of, and readers were forewarned (if they saw the spoilers)

Was this the right move? Possibly not. I think it would have been better for it NOT to have been spoiled & found out during the reading but to be honest knowing the outcome didn’t actually ruin my enjoyment of the issue at all. Would I have preferred not to have known? Well, yes. But personally I don’t think it “spoiled” the story.

Anyway - that’s my thoughts after reading it. Just thought I’d share ;)

Oh....and if you were wondering......I’ve changed my mind about dropping Batman. Guess il in for the next 50 issues after all!

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject: Re: Batman #50 Discussion (Definite Spoilers!)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:46 pm 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

This has been DC's policy since possibly New 52, according to them:
Married = Happy = Less money made because "happy" characters don't sell as much, at least according to the marketing team, see Kathy Kane/Maggie Sawyer "canceled" proposal from a few years ago

personally I would have loved to see an arc or three of them as a married couple, only for them to slowly figure out that they liked their old "forbidden" hero/villain relationship better: the chase, the adrenaline and primal impulse just isn't there anymore, it would've only been a matter of time before Selina's kleptomania and Bruce's obsession with "the mission" drifted them apart, but I guess it was easier to make Catwoman the voice of the publisher/marketing instead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:45 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Yeah it does smack heavily of that - but I'm going to hold out hope that the end of the next 50 issues will culminate with an actual marriage based on their own attraction & feelings rather than being manipulated

I'm probably kidding myself, but I'm going to cling to that hope until it turns out to be totally misplaced.

Post subject: Re: Batman #50 Discussion (Definite Spoilers!)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:36 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

this was a pinup gallery about batman not getting married, nothing changed, I liked the ending with bane but the rest was just great art and writing resulting in no changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:00 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Apart from the Tim Sale page - that was bloody awful!! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:11 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

So, is it worth the read or no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:00 pm 
Squire

24 total thanks.
Say thanks

I waited until all the issues about this event where out, didn't see any spoilers and loved it from start to finish. Always expected it to not happen, but now it might happen in the next god-knows-how-many issues for all the right reasons.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:49 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Azazel Gilkane wrote:
So, is it worth the read or no?

In my opinion, yes.

DC screwed the marketing (I suppose they can argue that if they hadn't everyone would've known the outcome but still!) but the actual issue itself is beautifully drawn (apart from Tim Sale's page, which sucks ass quite honestly) and Tom King writes some great moments in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:15 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

I caught the spoiler on reddit, for the wedding and the post-credit scene. Can't say I enjoyed it a ton.

The tie-ins were contrived as hell, though the Hush one had a couple of interesting moments. The lead up was decompressed to hell. The Joker issues (48 & 49?) were talking head issues, and while we're pretty fun, but it was heavily implied that Joker died in the second part, only for 50 to show that he hadn't.

50 itself was slow moving and had a poor resolution. We learned nothing new about the characters (except the end bit), and it was super decompressed. I've been reading classic X-Men comics recently, and 50 had about the same amount of words as 3 pages of any random Lee/Kirby or Roy Thomas X-Men issue.

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW