Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Recent issues of Superman
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:04 am 
Duke

Thanked 0 times for this post.
563 total thanks.
Say thanks

Is it just me, or were the past ten or so issues before the Boy-zarro arc just treading water? There's been a lot of stories such as traveling and literally giving the reader and American History lesson.

One-offs of giving cancer patients a day in space, that rubbish four part "Kill Superboy" crossover with Teen Titans - most of it has been just wasting time.

Is this because something is going to happen with the book once Bendis' Action Comics run is up and running?

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:03 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Yeah there hasn't really been any kind of storyline progression for a while with the Superman title - even the Boyzarro arc didn't really do much!!

Not that I haven't been enjoying it, it's just that it hasn't amounted to more than a fluff read recently.

As you say, maybe that will all change once Bendis get's his mitts on it.

Post subject: Re: Recent issues of Superman
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:40 pm 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

It's Anime filler, but in comic book form basically, the stories are there just to fill the blanks until #1000

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:17 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

acelister wrote:
Is it just me, or were the past ten or so issues before the Boy-zarro arc just treading water? There's been a lot of stories such as traveling and literally giving the reader and American History lesson.

One-offs of giving cancer patients a day in space, that rubbish four part "Kill Superboy" crossover with Teen Titans - most of it has been just wasting time.

Is this because something is going to happen with the book once Bendis' Action Comics run is up and running?

I got the same sense, even before I knew Bendis was taking over, and I'd include the Boy-zarro arc.

http://www.comicsidontunderstand.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:19 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

I honestly didn't include it because I haven't started it yet... I just had to say something because come on, develop Lois - she doesn't have her own team-up book!

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:37 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I don't see why at this point she doesn't have her own series. Especially with that Catwoman book coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:39 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

It has been a bit meh lately, not bad, just not great either.
A bit disappointing after how well the rebirth Superman started out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:15 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Stile86, I have to confess I can't even remember: was Rebirth Superman the 2-Supermen version, or the Merged Supermen version. The names are blending in my head.

Maybe Maybe-Jor-El is messing with my memories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:10 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

The New52 Superman died at the end of the run in Superman Vol 3 #52.
The Post-crisis Superman from Convergence was there at his death and promised to carry on for him which he did in Rebirth.
It wasn't until Superman Vol 4 #19 and Action Comics #976 that the two versions were merged.

And I think Jor-El messes with everyone's heads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:34 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Thanks, Stile86: I can't remember the names of all the annual hard and soft reboots. In my day we had Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis and by cracky, that was enough for us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:57 pm 
Squire

84 total thanks.
Say thanks

Sadly I gave up on Superman a while back. First time in 25+ years.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:57 pm 
Squire

84 total thanks.
Say thanks

ComicBill wrote:
Stile86, I have to confess I can't even remember: was Rebirth Superman the 2-Supermen version, or the Merged Supermen version. The names are blending in my head.

Maybe Maybe-Jor-El is messing with my memories.

Do you mind (with spoiler tags) letting me know what Jor-el has been up to? I've seen some snipets but haven't really been intrigued enough to go back and buy stuff.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:29 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

Hey ComicBill I'm one of those older guys too. I grew up reading the pre-Crisis Superman but really started collecting with the post-Crisis reboot of Superman, so I have a definite affection for that version of the character and have really enjoyed seeming him reintroduced to the current DC Universe.

OK bungi43, you asked for it. Be warned, not only am I talented at blathering on but this story goes right back to the start of Rebirth. Here is the Rebirth story of Jor-El - (maybe).

Spoiler: show
Right from the start of Rebirth there was a mysterious hooded character with a staff who was watching these big screens and commenting on events particularly in Superman's life. In fact he was looking right into the Kent family house with Clark, Lois and their son Jon. He came to be known as Mr. Oz. Many fans theorised that this was Dr Manhattan.

In the first issue of Action Comics after Rebirth, post-crisis Superman and Lex Luthor (who is kind-of sort-of maybe a good guy???) get into a fight over who gets to replace the New52 Superman (kind of) which is suddenly interrupted by Doomsday. They both fight against Doomsday and try to save Metropolis for a few issues. Doomsday ends up being a danger to Lois and Jon as well and there is also some good moments there with Wonder Woman. Then Doomsday is snatched away, it turns out by the mysterious Mr. Oz. He also snatches away a few other people such as Red Robin (Tim) all for some unknown agenda.

Meanwhile in the mess of Metropolis another Clark Kent turns up. This is very confusing the the folk of Metropolis since the New52 Superman had been outed as Clark Kent, but this one is definitely not super, even getting a broken arm at one point. Several issues go on sustaining the mystery (very well I might add) and it seems this Clark Kent believes he is the real thing. Eventually he and we discover (spoiler within spoiler here) that he is actually Mr Mxyxptlk who had also been captured by Mr Oz but escaped and is now mad at Supes because he never came looking for him. It is during the big confrontation between Superman (along with his family) and Mxy that the New52 versions of Superman and Lois are merged with the post-crisis versions.

Anyway, at some point after that Mr. Oz reveals himself to Superman as ... Jor-El his father, half scarred and wounded but incredibly powerful. He tells how as Krypton exploded he was grabbed away by some other uber powerful entity although seriously injured by the explosion. He ends up on Earth being looked after by a family living in a war torn country (middle east? Africa? unclear). Eventually the despotic ruler of the country finds that this family have been hiding something from him and gets the youngest son to kill the rest (nasty guy). This and other experiences convince Jor-El that the people of Earth deep-down are bad and evil and sending Kal-El here was a mistake. Now given power through his staff he begins manipulating events in the world first to protect his son and then to try to convince him to leave Earth. Superman obviously has a different opinion. Jor-El uses his powers along with some cultish followers to try to show Kal-El "the truth" by facing him with too many world-wide problems for him to handle, and also goes behind Kal's back to recruit Kal's son Jon. Needless to say, although the possibility that this is really Jor-El almost brings about a crisis of doubt in Superman, he continues to believe in Humanity's potential, solves many of the problems, and fights Jor-El. Kal wins when he breaks Jor-El's staff only to find out that it was also what was keeping Jor-El alive. Jor-El appears convinced by Kal's words and actions that Kal was right after all but then, before he can die, is "taken" again by the same powerful entity that had saved him before, leaving Kal with many questions, particularly whether this really was his father and if so facing a somewhat shattered image of the father he thought he knew.

This gets followed on by Superman trying to make a trip back to Krypton's past to see what really happened at Krypton's explosion (inconclusive) and leads to a new encounter with Zod, Ursa and their son along with the Eradicator.

So lots there. needless to say speculation is that the uber powerful being is Dr Manhattan but this is still to be revealed, as is Jor-El's ultimate fate, if that is who he really is.

Whew! So there you have it. Sorry for the long rant but since he has been tied up in stories over the past 2 years there was a lot to tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:22 am 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

Just to add to what you spoiled, stile:

Spoiler: show
After the business with Zod and a trip to the far future, Booster Gold takes Superman to the moment of Krypton's destruction and we discover that Jor-El was indeed taken away just in time.

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:49 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

Thanks Acelister. I had forgotten that scene.