Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )



All times are UTC [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Superman Reborn
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:24 am 
Merchant

Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:10 am
Posts: 279

Thanked 0 times for this post.
15 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
I just finished reading the 4 part story "Superman Reborn" and wanted to discuss my reaction.

The first part was excellent and really tugged at the heart strings while leaving you wanting more. Then the second part solves the mystery of Clark Kent and reveals him to be ...

Spoiler: show
Mister Mxyzptlk

Huh. Boring. That was my first reaction. To me I was hoping for a much more involved and intriguing origin.
Then, as I read on, I found myself getting more intrigued, more involved, and found my feelings changing. By the end I had completely changed my view. The story was good, interesting, made sense, and resulted in a whole new, very satisfying, status quo.

Spoiler: show
It also had a very interesting take on the old Superman Red/Superman Blue idea, consistent with the Red energy of the Superwomen particularly Lana.

So I have now come away quite pleased, curious to see the longer term repercussions and how it all leads into the mystery of Mister Oz and whatever possible crisis is heading their way.

What does everyone else think?


 Profile  
 

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:03 pm 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:42 pm
Posts: 307
Location: Pembrokeshire, Wales

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a clever idea to integrate the two versions the way they did - which also neatly knocks on to everyone else's history.

_________________
Image


 Profile WWW  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:21 pm 
Squire

Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:03 pm
Posts: 40
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Thanked 0 times for this post.
84 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
I need to catch up on Superman & Action. I'm way behind.


 Profile WWW  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:42 am 
Squire

Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:15 pm
Posts: 30

Thanked 0 times for this post.
24 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
I thoroughly enjoyed, but really looking forward to reading the Batman / Flash crossover.


 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:11 pm 
Marquis
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:51 pm
Posts: 1422
Location: England

Thanked 0 times for this post.
563 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
Retcons are usually minor things. Reborn managed to retcon the Superman we've been following for SIX YEARS. Not that they did anything of note with him, but how do they explain the Superman/Wonder Woman series? It just didn't happen?

_________________
Image

Watch Iron Manime!


 Profile WWW  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:36 am 
Merchant

Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:10 am
Posts: 279

Thanked 0 times for this post.
15 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
Yeah acelister, the story was pretty good and I liked the way it tried to fold the two Supermen into one, but it does leave a lot of unanswered questions about how the merged timelines actually works. Are they merged? Or did they both happen separately and now (somehow) the beings they happened to are now one? Is this what was meant when it said the older Superman wasn't who he thought he was? Or is there more to the story in the bigger DC/Watchmen tale and the "stolen years"?

I suspect that we will never have complete answers to some questions, just like after Infinite Crisis a number of things were different in Supes life and we gradually found out some but never found out all. Nevertheless I can live with that if the stories going forward are good.

Even in the New52 this was the case. For example, why exactly was Luthor in prison, the one that he designed himself when Superman challenged him to build a prison he couldn't escape from? There was a hint of being caught at wrongdoing in the comics but nothing precise. Also when did the Arctic Fortress turn up? Initially his Fortress was the captured ship of Brainiac and later doubled as the Justice League satellite. Later still the satellite was different and just there. Then suddenly the Arctic Fortress existed and there was an issue that proclaimed it would tell the secret origin of the Arctic Fortress but while its story was located there and we learnt more about it we still never learnt the origin. The tales just went on with it assumed. Still, although I was a little peeved at first I was ok with it and the ongoing stories just accepted it and moved on with great tales.


 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:46 pm 
Marquis
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:51 pm
Posts: 1422
Location: England

Thanked 0 times for this post.
563 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
stile86 wrote:
Yeah acelister, the story was pretty good and I liked the way it tried to fold the two Supermen into one, but it does leave a lot of unanswered questions about how the merged timelines actually works. Are they merged? Or did they both happen separately and now (somehow) the beings they happened to are now one? Is this what was meant when it said the older Superman wasn't who he thought he was? Or is there more to the story in the bigger DC/Watchmen tale and the "stolen years"?


Annoyingly it was glossed over very quickly with "We'll find out what this means, as a family."

stile86 wrote:
I suspect that we will never have complete answers to some questions, just like after Infinite Crisis a number of things were different in Supes life and we gradually found out some but never found out all. Nevertheless I can live with that if the stories going forward are good.

Very true.

stile86 wrote:
Even in the New52 this was the case. For example, why exactly was Luthor in prison, the one that he designed himself when Superman challenged him to build a prison he couldn't escape from? There was a hint of being caught at wrongdoing in the comics but nothing precise. Also when did the Arctic Fortress turn up? Initially his Fortress was the captured ship of Brainiac and later doubled as the Justice League satellite. Later still the satellite was different and just there. Then suddenly the Arctic Fortress existed and there was an issue that proclaimed it would tell the secret origin of the Arctic Fortress but while its story was located there and we learnt more about it we still never learnt the origin. The tales just went on with it assumed. Still, although I was a little peeved at first I was ok with it and the ongoing stories just accepted it and moved on with great tales.

I think a lot of it will have been people having absolutely no idea what Grant Morrison was aiming for - because even as readers we usually don't understand it...

_________________
Image

Watch Iron Manime!


 Profile WWW  
 

 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:44 am 
Merchant

Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:10 am
Posts: 279

Thanked 0 times for this post.
15 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
acelister wrote:
I think a lot of it will have been people having absolutely no idea what Grant Morrison was aiming for - because even as readers we usually don't understand it...

LOL. How true.


 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:45 pm 
Squire

Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:03 pm
Posts: 40
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Thanked 0 times for this post.
84 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
So with all of this, has everyone forgotten the New 52 Superman?
I mean...he died, people were sad/searching for him/trying to figure out the mystery.

Now that's he's merged with Pre New 52 Superman...and then the Superman from that era's backstory/history being canon, does Wonder Woman suddenly forget she had a thing for him? Does Batman not know anymore than this isn't "his" superman?

Or am I missing something?

Sorry, I just caught up.


 Profile WWW  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:14 pm 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:42 pm
Posts: 307
Location: Pembrokeshire, Wales

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
Nope, that's pretty much it.

The bits of the New 52 Superman that writers want to use they can, but his history has merged with Superdad now.

_________________
Image


 Profile WWW  
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: