Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Vote Now for Your Top 10 All Time Storylines
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:38 am 
Marquis

Thanked 0 times for this post.
55 total thanks.
Say thanks

Vote here for your Top 10 All Time Favorite Storylines!

When you vote for your favorite stories, rank them on a 1 to 10 basis with #1 being your favorite, #2 being your next favorite, etc. I will explain why we are doing this later as the tally's are being added up, but keep in mind there is a certain "weight" to this voting!

The rules for this are quite simple. A storyline may consist of 1 or more issues. These stories may cross over from title to title. They may also be original graphic novels or trade paperback collections.

What is not considered a storyline is an omnibus that shares stories that are independent of one another and do not tie in at all together. My personal opinion of omnibuses is stay away from them unless they are unique in nature. Don't vote for The Walking Dead Omnibus Volumes 1-3 but do vote, for example, for The Whisperer's War or something of another.

Voting will last from January thru February 28th. You can not vote more than once and will not be allowed to change your votes. I also advise you to take your time when making your selections and try not to be persuaded by what other people vote for.

I encourage everyone to add a comment after each of your 10 individual picks as to why you believe it should be up there amongst the greatest stories ever told.

I would like to discourage people from making rude or unwarranted remarks from another person's selections. This is for fun, let's not argue, and don't assume that we have all read the same comics as you or I. (For example, let's not see anything like "you friggin' maggots gotta be kidding me! Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew wasn't voted by anyone but me? Friggin a-holes! You can all eat dirty kitty litter!" This could be funny to some, but not everyone would appreciate their selections being grossly dissected.

I'll do the tallying at 3 checkpoints: January 15, January 30 and February 15. On March 1st, the final results will be posted. I will then post links leading you to each storyline.

Let's all try to get involved, talk it up and have some fun! Do your research because there are literally hundreds of thousands of comics that have been published since Superman started leaping over tall buildings in a single bound! You don't want to miss anything!

Reach out to me if you're unsure of anything! Cheers! - McGroupy

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:43 pm 
Knight

955 total thanks.
Say thanks

Thanks mcgroupy for this attractive subject (and glad to be the first to post my nominations). I'm a DC Universe fan, so all of my selections are DC comics. It was very simple to write down my selections because I have included the story lines that I read more than once, and must re-read them whenever I get the chance (and still enjoying them).

1. Crisis on infinite Earths (The first major crossover in the history of comics, and the most profound. The story has it all: death and rebirth on a scale that was never seen in comics).
2. Green Lantern: Emerald Twilight (only three issues in this story arc, but you get to the the true power of Hal Jordan and his transformation into the most power being in the DC universe).
3. Death & Return of Superman (Nuff Said).
4. Legion of Superheroes: The Great Darkness Saga (the rebirth of you know who).
5. Batman: Knightfall Trilogy (Nuff said).
6. Batman: Hush (amazing story and art. Unforgettable experience).
7. Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War (now that is what I call a war).
8. Blackest Night (The ultimate Geoff Johns story).
9. JLA: Rock of Ages (The best story in the historical Morrison's JLA run).
10. The Zero Hour (great story and great art).

There are also many more which can be included (such as Infinite Crisis, Invasion, Flash: terminal Velocity, Superman: Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Superman: Our World's at War, JLA: World War 3, or the Legion of 3 Worlds, Batman: the Cult, Batman: Venom, ...etc), but I will stick with these as my favourites.

Last edited by idris on Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:04 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Cheers for this mcgroupy. :)

I'll be honest, it has actually been quite difficult, but I've come up with my top 10 today - which would probably be different tomorrow!

Before I start, I just want to mention Akira. It is one of my all time top favourite comics, but doesn't really fit into the "storyline" category, so I've decided not to include it (as I'd have to include the entire run).

Anyway....

1. Kingdom Come - this was a revelation to me at the time. Gorgeous art with a thought provoking story.
2. The Dark Knight Returns - it's just one of the "classics" isn't it? ;) I love this book.
3. Preacher: Alamo - I was torn between the opening Preacher story & the last, but it was just such a perfect ending that I decided to go with Alamo in the end. Garth Ennis is at his best throughout this entire comic, but I love the ending.
4. Batman: Knightfall - Batman has always been my favourite character, and this was just such a game changer at the time for me!
5. Watchmen - #10 was originally going to go to The Boys: The Bloody Doors Off, which is a great ending to a brilliant series, but as I was writing this list I suddenly realised there is one comic I return to more than most - and that is The Watchmen. It is quite rightly referred to as a classic, and that's because Alan Grant crafted something amazing within its pages.
6. Death & Return of Superman - As much as I enjoyed Superman comics over the years , this was the first time that i really loved a Superman story. The entire thing is epic from beginning to end
7. Judge Dredd: The Judge Child Quest - Come on, its the Judge Child Quest! One of the best Dredd stories ever, & introduced so much to the mythos.
8. Southern Bastards: Here Was A Man - It is one of the only non-DC comics I read as it comes out & Here Was A Man, the opening story, is simply brilliant, from the writing to the art & I recommend it to anyone I can.
9. Maximum Carnage - I can remember buying this in the collected form from a comic shop in Birmingham & it is still one of my favourite Spidey stories ever.
10. Batman: A Death In The Family - Before the birth of the Internet, this story was a complete revelation to me. Before this one, comic characters like Batman & Robin seemed untouchable from the dangers they faced but, for me, this really opened the door to the fact that they could be killed

There we go, that's my 10 - and it changed 2 or 3 times while I was writing it! :D

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:48 am 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

Thanks for this topic. I have actually found myself quite torn over some of my selection, but, in no particular order...was what I was going to do, because I was too lazy (or found it too difficult) to rank my choices. But to be honest, I think creating an order and giving reasons why helps to eliminate the wheat from the chaff. So to speak!

So here I go a good 35 years of comic books, whittled down to a top ten storylines!

1) Crisis on Infinite Earths - what can I say that hasn't been said. As a big fan of early JLA, JSA and the other groups and characters in the multiverse, as it was then, this was the ultimate epic for me. I have read it at least 10 times in the last 20 years alone. And I'll read it again soon. My trade paperback is one of my most treasured items.

2) Secret Wars - Pretty much what I said above carries here as well, but from the Marvel perspective. It doesn't use the spiralling history of Marvel in the same way that Crisis did with DC, but, for me another epic that I will treasure forever. And you couldn't have :venom: without Secret Wars!

3) X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills - This was an interesting option for me. There are obvious choices when dipping into the X-Men catalogue: The Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, etc. As a lifelong fan of the X-Men (Nightcrawler in particular, see next on list) I could run a large list, but GLMK resonates with me in a massive way, it was highly topical at the time, and still holds a valid message today. Not to mention it was called upon in part to create the amazing film that was X2.

4) Excalibur: The Cross Time Caper - Nightcrawler and Captain Britain, really don't have to say anymore for me, I'm in and I'm sold. But Alan Davis drawing my top two favourite characters along with Kitty Pride, Rachel Summers (Phoenix) and the seriously amazing character of Meggan, managed to create one of my goto comic books of the post mutant massacre X-Men line. For me the Cross-time caper was a standout of interesting alternate timelines and out and out comedy. I'd love to read the whole saga again, however my full set of that run of Excalibur got destroyed in storage. :nightcrawler:

5) Kingdom Come - Shades of Crisis for me on this one again. A fantastic story, amazing characters and the art of Alex Ross...just frickin awesome!

I love GL and the Flash with a passion, almost as much as I love Nightcrawler and Captain Britain, however the two DC characters are considered much more iconic and as such take up my next three spots by being strong DC wide ranging stories, with my faves at the heart of each!
6) Sinestro Corps
7) Blackest Night
8) Flashpoint

9) The Sword - a surprising addition to my list and possibly not the most thought out either as it is a recent read for me. However, it is what it is. The Luna Brothers originally caught my attention with Girls, but The Sword has had me gripped. It's a story which grabs me with its use of mythology, a topic that was dear to me growing up. But aside from this it blends super powers with revenge thriller really well, and the added cliff hanger endings I've just foumd it a joy away from my usual fare.

10) The Flash: Dead Heat - I couldn't have a list that didn't feature Wally West. Although Barry is the Flash I originally grew up with, post Crisis (and specifically the Legends mini) Wally West became the Flash I would spend the formative years of my life with. I found it incredibly hard to pick between Terminal Velocity and Dead Heat. I see them as one story personally, but as I have to pick one. It has to be Dead Heat. Savitar, Lady Flash a massive change to the Quick family! Dead Heat has it all and just pips Terminal Velocity to the post.

There it is, so many more I would have happily added. So many iconic stories. A quick shout out to :bat: Gotham By Gaslight and Holy Terror, the two books that launched the Elseworlds line. The Elseworlds line in itself had quite a lot of awesome stories. I'm going to stop now before I start reeling off story titles left and right. We could go on forever!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:08 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I struggled so much with not including Crisis on my top 10 - it was there, then it wasn't, then it was back again & then it was off.

And now I think about it more I want to put it on my list again! :D

Can I have a 3a? No? Damn.

Oh well :lol:

As mrpinktoo said, we can include so much so this 10 have to be a snapshot of "now" I suppose. So much I wish I could have included but it was a struggle to get to what I did.

Like, for instance, I wish I could have included some of Gaiman's Sandman stories, which are truly great, but were edged out by some of the others or the Locke & Key stories...

ARGH! So hard! ;)

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:36 am 
Squire

24 total thanks.
Say thanks

This took some time, and I could easily change them all to 10 others.

1. Crisis on Infinite Earths

2. Judge Dredd The Cursed Earth

3. Batman the Dark Knight Returns

4. Watchmen

5. X-Men The Dark Phoenix Saga

6. Dan Dare Pilot of the Future (The entire first Story referred to as Pilot of the Future, The Venus Story or Voyage to Venus)

7. Batman A Death in the Family

8. Judge Dredd The Day the Law Died

9. All New Collectors Edition (C-55) Superboy & the LOSH

10. Martha Washington Give me Liberty

Last edited by snowman2k on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:00 pm 
Knight

1,300 total thanks.
Say thanks

snowman2k wrote:
6. Dan Dare Pilot of the Future

Any particular storyline?

Post subject: Re: Vote Now for Your Top 10 All Time Storylines
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:10 am 
Marquis

55 total thanks.
Say thanks

Without further ado, here is my Top 10 List

#1 X-Men: "THE DARK PHOENIX SAGA" :wolverine:
This is pretty much THE X-Men story all-time. Claremont and Byrne had it right.

#2 Daredevil: "THE ELEKTRA SAGA" :shock:
Batman wouldn't be the same without Frank Miller. Either could DD be the character
he is without him.

#3 Amazing Spider-Man: "THE DEATH OF GWEN STACY" :spider:
This is the greatest storyline moment in the history of Spider-Man and maybe even
for Marvel Comics all together.

#4 "BATMAN R.I.P." :bat:
#5 "Death of Captain America" :captain:
Both of these storylines were running concurrently every month and they featured pretty
much the same plot and endings. Dick Grayson finally got to wear the cowl and he did not
disappoint. I remember some fanboys being very vocal about not wanting Bruce wayne
back, that's how much this storyline was beloved by its fans. Over at Marvel, we were
all shocked that Bucky Barnes was brought back from his assumed death in WWII. Just getting
over the shock and awe of this, Captain America gets "killed" and it is up to Bucky to
wield the shield.

#6 "CIVIL WAR" :captain: :iron:
This mega event made everyone forget what Heroes Reborn was all about. The characters
all seemed believable when they decided which side they were on. (I'm always on Cap's
side btw!)

#7 "THE NEW FRONTIER" :superman: :bat: :ww:
Darwyn Cooke's vision of the DC Universe set in the early ages of the Silver Age is a
masterpiece. In fact, DC should have explored Darwyn's vision a bit further, but alas,
Mr. Cooke has since passed away. A truly tragic loss to the comic book medium.

#8 "MARVELS" :galactus: :namor: :torch: :goblin:
What if the Saga of the Marvel Universe was told by an average citizen living in New York?
Alex Ross is to Marvels as to what Darwyn Cooke was to The New Frontier. A tremendous
mini-series that has been copied in style but never in substance.

#9 “Annihilation” :D
During the course of the events set in Civil War, a war out in space was unknowingly happening.
While we don't see the heavy weights of Adam Warlock or Thanos, the players in this mini-series
more than make up for it. And as a payoff, the modern Guardians of the Galaxy have formed
as a result of it all!

#10 “The Death of Superman” :superman:
I've always been a non-believer of how this storyline could ever happen. But it did and it was
one helluva wild tale, paving the way for the Death of (insert superhero name here). Dc was on
a roll during this time. Supes was dead and Batman had his back broken by Bane. Good thing
World's Finest was cancelled before Crisis on Infinite Earths!

There are so many stories that are my favorites. This list could change tomorrow but for today,
I'll go with this! - Mcgroupy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:29 pm 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

A fine list there McGroupy, featuring many that I wanted to put in my list also. If I did the list again after I unpacked all my stuff since moving it would be a very different list.

Check out my desk shelves that feature many of may faves. Could have made a top ten just out of stuff on here!

Attachment:
IMG_7947.jpg
IMG_7947.jpg [ 2.92 MiB | Viewed 194 times ]

Last edited by mrpinktoo on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:26 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Might want to remove your Sky network password from that photo mate! ;)

Some good comics there - how the hell did I forgot Killing Joke or Arkham Asylum!! O_o

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:23 pm 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

Good advice! Arkham and Killing Joke are two of my fave Batman stories along with Death of Robin, but another list for another time. Maybe a top ten Batman stories!
:bat:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:50 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Ooooh that's a good idea!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:53 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

Oops! I think I misread the instructions. Somehow I had in my mind that the last count would be 28th Feb, but it looks like it was 15th Feb. Oh well, here is my list anyway.

1.Legion of Super-Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga
A great epic story which had the unintended side effect of revitalising a major villain to the point where he is now pretty much the ultimate villain in the DC universe.

2. Daredevil: Born Again
This is a brilliant story of the destruction and rebirth of a hero. Personally I think this is Frank Miller's finest work.

3. Uncanny X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga
Great story of a powerful being descending into madness and being brought back, only to sacrifice herself to prevent it happening again, told in the context of a family (which is what the X-Men effectively were at this point).

4. Fantastic Four: The Trial of Galactus
Byrne did a great job on this which was told over various issues and later collected. His stated goal was to bring Galactus back to greatness and he succeeded.

5. Thor: The Ballad of Beta Ray Bill
What if Thor battled an unknown opponent who defeated him and then unwittingly picked up Thor's hammer and was transformed by it because he was worthy?! How would Odin and the Asgardians react? This story created a new hero and changed Thor's situation, eliminating Donald Blake. Great story by Walter Simonson. I don't always like his art but here it worked well.

6. Kingdom Come
Mark Waid has written some brilliant stuff over the years but this still stands out today. What if the new young heroes of today lived by the ethics of a more modern era where the anti-hero is king? How would the average person cope? More importantly what if the older heroes whose ethics conflicted with the new tried to fix the problem? My description doesn't do this story justice. First class.

7. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
As I said above I think Miller's Daredevil tops this but this is still a terrific tale asking the question whether a vigilante like Batman is really appropriate for today?

8. Marvels
Kurt Busiek does a wonderful job of telling the story of the Marvel universe from the perspective of a journalist/photographer. What do these "marvels" look like to the normal person on the street. Alex Ross artwork is beautiful as always.

9. Crisis on Infinite Earths
Marv Wolfman showed enormous skill in the first epic crossover involving every character in the DC universe. (Marvel Secret Wars came out at the same time and was fun but didn't really change anything except for Spidey's costume. There were other minor ongoing effects but mostly it could have not happened and the Marvel universe would have been unchanged.) Crisis changed the DC universe, most notably with Superman and Wonder Woman, but also with the introduction of the Charlton characters and Shazam to the new DC. Not only did it successfully touch on every single character but it was a great story and a terrific read, even if you didn't know who everyone was.

10. Legion of Super-Heroes: Conspiracy (Vol 3 46-50)
This story of a conspiracy within the Legion is a direct follow-on from the ramifications of Crisis, which dealt a serious blow to the group. Paul Levitz is rightly praised for the Great Darkness Saga but he wrote several other good story lines and this one is right up there, culminating with an epic final(?) battle with the Time Trapper.

Honourable Mentions:
Death & Return of Superman - While the method of Superman's demise was a bit - um - ordinary? (hit something as tough as himself repeatedly until they both die) - the writing was excellent, really making you feel the emotions of Superman and those close to him. He showed what it meant to be a hero, and then the followup stories of his funeral, the mysterious four new Supermen and the final return are all excellent reading.
Green Lantern : Emerald Twilight - I know some fans of Hal hated this, feeling it diminished him as a hero (and admittedly if it had been Superman I might have felt the same) but I thought this story of a man suffering tremendous grief and spiralling down into madness was extremely well told.
New Teen Titans: The Judas Contract - Marv Wolfman and George Perez were at their peak with this story of love, trust and betrayal. The story of Terra is unusual in that Marv actually makes you feel sorry for a character who really isn't very likeable.
Excalibur: The Cross Time Caper - Great fun story developing Captain Britain up to and beyond the level of the Green Lantern Corps, excellent use of Phoenix and perhaps the best characterisation of Shadowcat and Nightcrawler. Alan Davis artwork is highly attractive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:44 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

Ah we always forget one don't we.

Squadron Supreme 12 issue limited series 1985 by Mark Gruenwald
After the USA in their world has been devastated by the Serpent Crown, the Squadron Supreme decide they have to do more than catch bad guys and act as a band-aid. they decide to make their nation a Utopia by eliminating all hunger, crime and disease. Nighthawk cannot agree with such dictatorial approaches and resigns, eventually forming a counter team to stop the Squadron. An excellent story of the problem of powerful people given total authority even with the best of intentions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:40 am 
Knight

1,300 total thanks.
Say thanks

1. From Hell #1-11 by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell
2. Enigma #1-8 by Peter Milligan and Duncan Fegredo
3. Fuck (AKA I Never Liked You) (in Yummy Fur #26-30) by Chester Brown
4. Daredevil #227-233 (Born Again) by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli
5. Judge Dredd: Revolution (in 2000 AD prog 531-533) by John Wagner, Alan Grant and John Higgins
6. Marshal Law #1-6 (Fear and Loathing) by Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neill
7. The Driver (in Toxic #2-9) by Banx and David Leach
8. Marvel Premiere #12-14 (Dr Strange: Sise-Neg Genesis) by Steve Englehart, Mike Friedrich, Frank Brunner, Dick Giordano & the Crusty Bunkers
9. Strange Tales #178-181 & Warlock #9-11 (The Magus Saga) by Jim Starlin, Al Weiss, Al Milgrom, & Steve Leialoha
10. Foolkiller #1-10 by Steve Gerber, JJ Birch, Tony DeZuniga and Vince Giarrano