Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Deadpool was originally a ripoff of DC Comics Deathstroke
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:18 am 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
955 total thanks.
Say thanks

This is the first time I read about this! what are your thoughts??
Quote:
The long-awaited Deadpool movie hits theaters quite soon, but as we're bombarded by ironic ads and reframed trailers, let's take a moment to remember one of the nuttier aspects of a very nutty character's creation.

The time is 1990. The place is Marvel Comics (this is not really a place, but pretend it is for dramatic cadence). The people are Deadpool co-creators Fabian Nicieza and Rob Liefeld. They had decided to introduce a sword and gun wielding assassin with super-agility to the pages of New Mutants, and Liefeld had just delivered his first designs on a character that he suggested they call "Deadpool.

Nicieza called him back: "This is Deathstroke from the Teen Titans."

In comics, Slade Wison, alias Deathstroke the Terminator, is a primary antagonist to the Teen Titans. He's best known outside of comics for appearing in Arrow and the Teen Titans cartoon adaptations (where he went by the name Slade, presumably because the name Deathstroke the Terminator was considered a little much by kid cartoon standards).

Nicieza was not making a stretch, here. Liefeld was — is — a self-professed fan of DC's teenage sidekick superteam. The New Teen Titans was one of the company's most popular series in the 1980s and in 1990 it was still going strong. It is often described as DC's answer to the success of Marvel's similarly character- and teen-driven Uncanny X-Men, a series that saw the mutant team gain significant popularity with readers — and make a significant amount of money for Marvel — for the first time. Uncanny X-Men was also the series that Nicieza and Liefeld's New Mutants had originally spun out of.

Teen Titans' most memorable story arc of the 1980s was "The Judas Contract," prominently featuring the troubled superheroine Terra and the assassin Deathstroke. In the early 2010s, when Liefeld got the chance to write a Deathstroke series for DC Comics, he said, of his affection for the character, "I've always been in awe of ... Deathstroke — and "always" means since I was a child.

So, Nicieza wasn't insinuating that Liefeld may not have known about a similar character at a competing company — it was patently impossible for Liefeld to not have been aware of Deathstroke. Here's Deathstroke over on the left.

Liefeld was proposing they create a very similar looking, similarly named, supernaturally agile assassin character, who even used the same weapons as a character who belonged to Marvel's biggest competitor.

What did the two young creators do in the face of this problem? Honestly, this is where the story reaches its wackiest point. They decided to lean into it.

Deathstroke's real name is Slade Wilson. So they named Deadpool "Wade Wilson."

And, in an industry with a history peppered with predatory copyright lawsuits, where Marvel couldn't stop publishing a comic called Captain Marvel for decades or risk losing the trademark to DC's Captain Marvel character — who, in the meantime, could not appear in a comic that bore his own name — Nicieza and Liefeld's Deadpool turned out surprisingly fine.

Names, outfits and fighting abilities aside, they display very different personalities and roles in their respective universes.

"While ruthless, there is certain nobility to Slade." Liefeld told Comic Book Resources in 2012. "He tried to have a normal family at one point, and believed in honor amongst thieves. Wade, while canny, is an insane person. The similarities are they both shoot guns and wield swords."

Now I know what you're saying: What about Deadshot? The similarly attired amoral marksman and assassin whose existence as a DC Comics character predates both Deathstroke and Deadpool by decades? The one who's being played by Will Smith in Suicide Squad?

Oh, no connection. Comics, everybody!

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:57 pm 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

Scott at Nerdsync does a pretty good summing up of the arguments for and against Deadpool being a ripoff of Deathstroke. One good thing about Scott's work is he always tries to find primary sources rather than relying on rumours and anecdotal evidence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qth7tc5O3gA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:36 pm 
Marquis

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

Superman/Batman Annual #1 (vol. 1) had Deathstroke trying to assassinate Bruce Wayne. Owlman and Ultraman turned up, as did an oddball version of Deathstroke who would get cut off every time he tried to say his own name.

My favourite issue, given the fact it was clearly Deadpool.

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:03 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

Quote:
Superman/Batman Annual #1 (vol. 1)

I remember that . That was a really fun story. Quite good.
I hadn't heard of Deadpool at the time so the alternate Deathstroke was just a weird alternate version with healing powers, oh and he was nuts. Looking back now your are right. It is so obviously Deadpool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:22 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I knew it then which is why i still put Deathstroke over Deadpool all day because he's simply a parody of him. They worked hard over the years to move past that fact and turned him into his own identity but to me Deadpool is tainted because of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:35 pm 
Squire

13 total thanks.
Say thanks

It's always been widely known that Liefeld rips off other artists, especially Kirby.

I hung out with an old Marvel/Image artist a few years ago at a meet and greet and he said Rob Liefeld told him that basically every hero pose has been done. Liefeld has no problem with ripping off other artists and writers.

I have ZERO respect for Rob Liefeld.