Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What comes after Preacher?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:49 pm 
Serf

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Hi

I'm new to the forum and I wanted to ask for some advice?

I had never picked up a comic until about two weeks ago when my boss leant me the first volume of Preacher and I'm hooked. I've got a couple of the books left but I'm going to be through them pretty soon and I'm looking for something else that I can try next - I just wondered where would be a good place to start? It might be a really stupid question but there are so many and I don't know who to ask so I wondered if anyone had any recommendations?

If you were trying to get your girlfriend into reading comic books - which ones would you have her read first? (My bf has never read a graphic novel so he's been no help)

I liked all the themes in Preacher and I like sort of gothic stuff and I love super hero movies and red dwarf, love Kurt Vonnegut - don't know if that helps in any way...

Sorry for such a silly question :wink:

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:07 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

If you liked Preacher, another series that you may wanna check out is Sandman by Neil Gaiman. Not one of my preferences, but it's pretty widely renowned.

Another writer you might wanna look into (I'm sure you've heard of him) is Alan Moore. His run in Swamp Thing was phenomenal. Watchmen, obviously is a pretty good read (and relatively quick, too).

I'm a cape fan, so I don't delve too much into the indies...but Preacher was probably one of the best things I've ever read in my life. If you're looking to go more toward the costumes, I would highly recommend Wolverine Origin, anything Spider-Man (with the possible exceptions being 'Ultimate' and 'Superior' - personal preference). Or the most recent run of Scarlet Spider, by Christopher Yost...it was amazing.

Earlier Spidey books, like McFarlane's work on 'Spider-Man' starting with issue 1...were as gripping as they were visually stunning.

*Shrug*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:36 pm 
Knight

1,300 total thanks.
Say thanks

There was an old thread containing recommendations for many other good series from the Vertigo imprint.
vertigo-recommended-reads-t620.html

You might want to try Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's other collaborations on the Punisher and the latter part of Ennis's run on Hellblazer.

Some series in a vaguely gothic vein include Lazarus Churchyard and Hellstorm, both written by Warren Ellis (Churchyard was modelled on Andrew Eldritch and Hellstorm on Carl McCoy, if I remember correctly), the Crow by James O'Barr, the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill.

Some other random old stuff you might like, off the top of my head (although some of it may be hard to find): Love and Rockets by the Hernandez brothers, Enigma by Peter Milligan and Duncan Fegredo, V for Vendetta by Alan Moore and David Lloyd, the Invisibles by Grant Morrison, Breathtaker by Marc Hempel and Mark Wheatley, Aztec Ace by Doug Moench (like a cross between Doctor Who and Illuminatus), the Adventures of Luther Arkwright & its sequel, Heart of Empire by Bryan Talbot, Batman: Strange Apparitions by Steve Englehart and Marshall Rogers, Daredevil: Born Again by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli, Grendel by Matt Wagner, Warlock by Jim Starlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:06 am 
Serf

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Thanks so much I'll check out your recommendations - thanks so much :-) Had no idea where to start looking.

I love the themes behind Preacher but the artwork is amazing. My boss leant me them but he has never read another series so seriously I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:00 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I think one of my favorite books to recommend to females is Fables. It is a brilliant series and they reinvent practically every character from Disney stories and folk/fairy tales. The writing and art are both spectacular. There was talks about a miniseries but the new show "Once Upon a Time" is too much of a ripoff of Fables that it will never lift the ground.