All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:10 pm 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
4 total thanks.
Say thanks

godzilla wrote:
Just look track record Fox has when it come this group of characters. I would give the a pass for the Batman movies of the mid 90's, cause Batman the animated series and the spinoffs from it were so awesome so I thank the cast and crew of all of those shows. I have hope that this show will be good.

Ok... I just looked at FOX's track record.
They have no track record for live action versions of these characters. The first 3-season run of BM:TAS on FOX was 19 years ago. All the following Animated Series Universe production was with WB/Cartoon Network.
The closest FOX ever came to a live action "Batman" type show was M.A.N.T.I.S. that ran for one season 20 years ago.
The movies had nothing to do with FOX. Those were strictly WB's.

So I guess my point is... what's your point?

The track record really worth considering when it comes to DC on TV is
1) CW's (& WB's) superhero shows: Smallville & Arrow. (Both clearly successful, though to be fair their one season of the Birds of Prey series was a disappointment *maybe even a failure* for a lot of reasons.)
2) FOX's track record with sci-fi drama generally... which, out of roughly 26 such shows they have only had two that lasted 5 or more seasons (X-files/Fringe) and most of the rest were cancelled after 2 seasons or less.

DC has clearly demonstrated they can do TV well. Well enough to run with Flash. (ha ha ho ho I kill me blehrg)
Fox has demonstrated that they don't understand sci-fi drama well enough to know how to promote viewer interest & they will interfere in ways that inevitably lead to the demise of those shows.

The combination may prove problematic for Gotham, so if it struggles for ratings in the first season, I would count on FOX giving up on it immediately. If Gotham turns out to be good AND develops a fan-base, I hope WB has worked a "backdoor" escape plan that would allow them to take the show to another network immediately if FOX drops it... but there is little precedent for that and might have other problems to consider.

Has anyone seen what timeslot it will be in and what it will run against on the other networks?

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z. The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG & how he uses that experience in a dystopian future. It's free online, mobile-friendly, & presented as a serial, with updates 3 times weekly at SeeDarkly.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:15 am 
Knight

229 total thanks.
Say thanks

Gotham will air monday nights at 8 pm on FOX. It will go against The Big Bang Theory/2 Broke girls (CBS), Dancing with the Stars (ABC), The Voice (NBC) and The Originals (CW).

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:37 am 
Knight

4 total thanks.
Say thanks

wintermute90 wrote:
Gotham will air monday nights at 8 pm on FOX. It will go against The Big Bang Theory/2 Broke girls (CBS), Dancing with the Stars (ABC), The Voice (NBC) and The Originals (CW).

Wow... not one, but TWO "reality" shows?
FOX clearly wasn't paying attention to how The Voice affected SHIELD ratings. (The Voice was literally the only show to push SHIELD out of 2nd overall/1st in demo ranking and mostly kept them 3rd overall/2nd in demo ever since they were put in the same time-slot in February.)
FOX practically invented the genre. Those shows (regardless of personal opinion or taste) are ratings engines. They have to know up front they just shot themselves in the foot before they even launch.

I'd be shocked, except it's FOX, so mostly I feel pretty justified believing FOX doesn't care to see this show work out in the long term.
I hope, for fans' sake, I'm wrong... but if I'm not, I hope it's at least enjoyable while it lasts.

At the very least it's clearly the only thing I'd be interested in at that time, so I'll watch for however little that will help.

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z. The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG & how he uses that experience in a dystopian future. It's free online, mobile-friendly, & presented as a serial, with updates 3 times weekly at SeeDarkly.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:07 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I really lost interest in Gotham quickly... :neutral:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:00 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I just started watching Gotham last night. Got the first five episodes down. While there are a few elements of basic physics and society which don't work, overall the show is great. The style, the characters, the intrigue, the drama! It's better than expected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:55 pm 
Knight

59 total thanks.
Say thanks

yeah fox really doesn't know how to suport scifi genre well they like to give them crappy timeslots and then at first sign of trouble they yank them . look how many times family guy and futurama got shit canned only to be brought back by public outcry. that works out for animated shows but usually live shows can't be brought back because lots of time the sets are struck after show gets canned. and the reason that birds of prey tanked so fast nobody nrew when to watch it because the show kept bouncing around and the whole show was too too dark hard to se whas going on if everything is so dark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:41 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Fans of this one can rejoice.

The Hollywood Reporter wrote:
Fox jumped on the TCA renewal train Saturday. The network used its executive session to hand out early 2015-16 pickups to freshman dramas Empire and Gotham as well as a third run for comedy Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

~

Warner Bros. Television's Batman prequel Gotham, meanwhile, is averaging a 4.2 rating in adults 18-49 and 10.6 million viewers. It ranks as the season's No. 1 broadcast drama overall among men 18-49 and men 18-34. Its series premiere —6.0 in the advertiser-coveted demo — outperformed The Blacklist and Scorpion and delivered Fox's highest-rated fall drama debut in 14 years. The live-plus-seven rating for the Ben McKenzie DC Comics adaptation from Bruno Heller reflects the largest post-three-day ratings gain (+0.9) of any broadcast drama ever.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:01 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I tried. I really did. But I just couldn't get into it.

Maybe I'll give it another go sometime, but not for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:11 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'll admit I've not tried it yet. Got the first half of the season saved on my HD box but still not got round to watching it.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:37 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I showed Gotham to a few of my non-comic book reading friends, and they're in love with it already!