Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Problem with Comicon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:07 am 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
696 total thanks.
Say thanks

I just got back from my second Comicon for the year (so far) and I have to tell ya I am getting more and more disappointed with them as they go along.

Comicon started out, for me, as a place to meet and trade/buy comics. Also to look at local artists as well as a few industry professionals and hear panels of them talking about our favorite characters.

The autograph thing started for me when I started getting various issues and graphic novels signed by the creators that attended the cons. The celebrities came along and at first it seemed like they were going to be just another autograph that I could get while at the con. And at first it was like that. The celebrities seemed like they were enjoying meeting with us as much as we enjoyed meeting them.

But this lately I noticed something. As more and more celebrities attend the cons (thus driving the ticket prices soaring into the sky like a caped superhero) the more I notice that it's not meeting the fans that drives them to attend. Whereas we are all excited to see Sean Astin, or Nathan Fillion they are there just for another paycheck. Bruce Campbell even told me he only shows up to cons because it was written into his contract. This coming from a guy who made his career off of having a few thousand hardcore fans and not much else.

Some celebrities seem like they are happy to be at the cons. Eddie McClintock, Milo Ventimiglia, Jon Bernthal. They actually create fond memories of meeting them. But the vast majority seem to have this attitude that they had to come into work on a weekend and they can't wait for it to end. Even them coming to their booths you can see it plain as day. The sign at the front of the booth proclaims they will be signing autographs at 11am-3:30pm. But they don't show up until well after Noon. Why? Because they were "eating breakfast" (as one manager told me at the con when I asked). Now I'm not saying they should starve just ot come meet us fans, but dammit wake up early. I did just so I could stand in line for hours to finally get a chance to see them for a few seconds and all I get is this look like I'm taking up their weekend/free time.

Phuque them!

I had so much more fun on the other side of the floor talking ot the artists, writers, and various other fans. Too bad my ticket price is now ten times as much as it used to be so we could accommodate Mr. Fillion's $100-per-autograph farce.

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:19 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Same kind of thing at the shows I've been to. Used to be able to have a good craic with any of the stars. Now has got to the stage where the signings are pure production line (Hi, What do you want signed?, [scribble], Thanks for coming, Bye) or the prices for autos have shot up (true story, one guy wanted £30/$45 for his auto on anything at a show I was at last year).

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: The Problem with Comicon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:43 pm 
Knight

696 total thanks.
Say thanks

I wish they were asking for $45 at this show.

Nathan Fillion = $100
Matt Smith = $100
Adam West = $70
Burt Ward = $50 ($10 extra w/picture)
Sean Astin was only $40 but if you wanted a picture taken with him it was $50 (for total of $90)
Karen Gillan = $60
William Shatner = $75

Matt Smith, Nathan Fillion, and Karen Gillan all charged like another $100 for a picture.
Adam West and Burt Ward charged some ridiculous amount that I forgot because there was no possibility I would ever pay it. To top all this off they were so late that to "save time" they were unable to personalise any autographs. It was simply their names.

Milo Ventimiglia, Jon Bernthal, and Ted Raimi were $30 (personalised) and did not charge extra for a picture. As well they took a couple minutes to talk to everyone that came up, and were on-time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:54 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Bloody hell! Makes even more glad I never got into autograph collecting (well, apart from the ones in the trading card sets I used to pick up).

Profile WWW