Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Two Sides of a Different Coin? Great Art + Great Writing = ?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:55 pm 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
696 total thanks.
Say thanks

What to do:
If a comic has a great looking art style, with gorgeous panels through and through but the story is going nowhere and in fact never had any interesting bits to it?

Or the flip side, the comic has a great story and you really have gotten attached to finding out what happens next ... but the art makes you want to go blind?

Do you give it an issue? See if they change writers or artist? What if they don't how long do you put up with "lopsided" talent in a creative team?

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject: Re: Two Sides of a Different Coin? Great Art + Great Writing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:02 am 
Count

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

I care more about the art than I do about the story,if the story's bad at least I can look at the pretty pictures :-)

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:06 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

If the story is good then I can give poor art a pass for a couple of issues at least. If it becomes bad enough to detract from the story though then it's gone.

If the story is bad then it's gone regardless of how good the art is. I used to follow a few artists from book to book but they routinely ended up on stuff with characters I couldn't care less about or stories that were awful. Now if I want to look at pretty pictures I'll buy an art book/portfolio.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:40 am 
Knight

696 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'd have to submit I am guilty of flip-flopping on this issue. I have in the past collected a series I thought was uninspired as far as writing goes just because of the art. Teen Titans during Brett Booth's run and I thought Lobdell's writing fell short. In which case as soon as that artist left I dropped the series. This doesn't happen often. I rarely ever get a series because of the art.
But then again Teen titans was one of my favorite series pre-Flashpoint and Booth's art may have been an excuse for me to keep picking up the series. More often what happens is my "Aquaman Factor". When Ivan Reis was doing the art and the covers. A good artist will get me to look at a comic off of a shelf. It may even sell one issue. But if it wasn't for Geoff John's great storyline I wouldn't have Aquaman on my pull list now long after he and Reis left the series. I grabbed up Before Watchmen: Silk Spectre merely because Amanda Connor's name was on it (Darwyn Cooke's didn't hurt either).
However, slightly more common is the opposite for me. I'll read a series with a bad artist sometimes for quite a while. If the story is worth it. Although unless it is a very familiar character a bad artist may keep me from reading a title in the first place. Like when I picked up GI Joe Cobra Files. I knew GI Joe characters but the art sucked. Read it anyway and got stuck.
So if it is a favored character with a decent writer, unless the art is truly horrible I will muddle through it hoping one day a nice Amanda Connor or Ed Benes drop into the series. But horrible art may keep me from a series in the first place regardless of writer. I came this close to not even picking up :ww: New52 because Cliff Chiang's art was ... different. :shrug:
If I hadn't seen a different artist on the solicitation for He-Man next issue though I was so gonna drop that series. Rafael Kayanan is truly an artist that will make you overlook the writing :lol: