Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Captain America: Super Soldier (2011)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:06 pm 
Knight

Thanked 6 times for this post.
994 total thanks.
Say thanks

The guy said it's coming out in July 2011

Trailer

Destructoid wrote:
Next summer, Marvel’s Star-Spangled Avenger, Captain America, will hit the screen once again with actor Chris Evans donning the red, white, and blue. Marvel hopes that if 20 years couldn’t erase the memory of the Cap’s straight-to-video disaster of the 1990s, this next big-budget flick -- called Captain America: The First Avenger -- will.

Sega, along with help from the (ironically) Canadian developer Next Level Games, hopes to capitalize on the hype of the picture with its third-person action title, Captain America: Super Soldier. The game was officially revealed this week for New York Comic-Con, with folks getting their first look at the game in action. Next Level Games’ Brandon Gill, the game’s lead designer, was kind enough to give me a walkthrough of an early, hands-off demo of the game, which ships next year.

First thing that should be clear is that this isn’t a movie game per se. Sure, while Sega has yet to lock down a release date for the title, it’s likely Super Soldier will hit shelves very close to the film’s summer 2011 release. And yeah, in the demo they showed off, that definitely looked like Evans under the Cap’s mask.

But given gaming’s history with poor film-to-game adaptation, Sega’s making it a point to mention that Super Soldier will feature its own unique story, penned by noted comic writer, Christos Gage. The story will take place during World War II, with Captain America facing off against the nefarious Red Skull and his army. The line here, as it is with many of these “it’s not a movie game” PR messages these days, is that it exists in the same world as the movie, but expect a completely independent story written specifically for the title.

Vague story points and disclaimers aside, Super Soldier is a third-person action game at its core. Engineered to the perfect soldier and acrobat, Captain America is all about kicking ass and monkey-ing all over the game’s environment, a mysterious castle fortress operated by international terrorist organization HYDRA.

From a combat standpoint, Gill admits a bit of a Batman: Arkham Asylum influence -- Captain America can attack in 360 degrees, with the player simply pushing the analog stick in the direction of an enemy, and hit the strike button to execute an attack. Simply put, the action is less button-mashy and more rhythm-based.

“We did a lot of tests with what kind of fight system we wanted,” he tells me. “We started off with that Devil May Cry feel, but we wanted something grounded and strong, rather than something that’s kind of twitch-based. So you’ve got to think; it’s a little more tactical.”

Cap can also do something called an offensive grab, which staggers an enemy, setting them up for a contextual attack. These contextual strikes, I’m told, will vary depending on the situation -- a knee to the stomach, or a roundhouse punch followed by a jump kick, for instance. These contextual blows will drop an enemy, leaving them vulnerable to a ground attack. If you thought Captain America was above mounting a downed foe and repeatedly striking them behind the skull, you were sorely mistaken.

There’s also a special set of attacks tied to an in-game meter called the “Crippling Strike.” Once activated, these one-hit knockout attacks slow down time, the camera shifting to a more cinematic perspective to get a view of action. I only saw one in the demo, a well-placed knuckle sandwich on the chin of a HYDRA operative. Gill says to expect variety in the “Crippling Strike” animations, once the games ships, to avoid repetition.

Defensively, Cap can actually use his offensive grab technique to counter enemy strikes, leaving them vulnerable. If you’re feeling saucy, you can flip or roll out of the way, as well. This also happens to be a great way to get behind enemies, for a contextual rear assault.

There’s also that matter of the iconic shield, and of course Next Level Games has implemented it into the gameplay. The shield can be tossed at in-game objects (like hitting a switch, for instance), as well as used for a ranged attack. Gill had Cap toss the shield into a crowd, and I watched as it bounced off several soldiers before returning to its rightful owner. It can also be used to deflect bullets from any angle, even if an enemy has fired at you from off camera. The screen will flash to indicate a bullet is incoming, and a simple well-timed tap of the button will return the slug to its sender.

Captain America will exhibit some of his gymnastic talents in the game as well, with a rhythm-based platforming system reminiscent of Ninja Theory’s Enslaved. For instance, simply mashing the button will have Cap swinging pole from pole, it just won’t be particularly graceful. Such random pressing will lead to slow, sloppy movements. Time it right, however, and you’ll get a much faster, more fluid set of animations. I saw one notably cool bit where Cap did a back flip out of a wall run before quickly gripping and swinging around a pole.

Being an early demo, Super Soldier lacked a lot of the visual polish you’d expect from a next-gen title. (The game was being played on an Xbox 360, but PlayStation 3, Wii, Nintendo DS, and PlayStation Portable games are in the works.) But the foundation for a fun platforming and combat experience is there. And with Gage -- a writer who has proven that he knows the character and can write him into compelling fiction -- on board, there’s hope that Captain fans are in for a treat.

Gameplay (from New York Comic Con)

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:32 pm 
Knight

Thanked 3 times for this post.
1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

I don't think this will be any good. Both Iron Man games made by Sega sucked, and Iron Man 2 the game had it's own story not connected to the movie like this one claims to have, and it didnit get a good score by any of the big reviewers, so I'm predicting that this will be a bad game.

Post subject: Re: Captain America: Super Soldier (2011)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:54 pm 
Knight

994 total thanks.
Say thanks

Last edited by GalactuszBrutha on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:38 am 
Merchant

Thanked 2 times for this post.
919 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'd play it. That being said, "a bit of Arkham Aslyum influence" is a laugh.

That shield sure is handy, eh? lol

Answer -
That you are here. That life exists, and identity.

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:46 pm 
Knight

260 total thanks.
Say thanks

this :captain: game will be bad im sure but knowing me ill probably play it anyway

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:19 pm 
Knight

994 total thanks.
Say thanks

Last edited by GalactuszBrutha on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:20 am 
Squire

Thanked 5 times for this post.
15 total thanks.
Say thanks

is this game will be available on the iPad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:41 pm 
Knight

260 total thanks.
Say thanks

turns out they changed the voice from the one that was previously shown to chris evans. And they changed the costume to the movie costume.
Im hoping the costume they originally showed will still be in the game as an unlockable costume and other unlockable costumes would be cool as well like maybe bucky cap. As a movie game the likelihood that this is going to be good is very small but i will get it anyway because :captain: is my favourite superhero and it would be awesome to play as him. Hopefully the game will turn be like x men origins wolverine not gameplay wise but in the way that its a good movie game.

Last edited by Southparkfanatic333 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:14 pm 
Knight

260 total thanks.
Say thanks

just re watched the new york comic con interview at the top of this page and if you listen closely near the end the guy says they will have costumes so that classic cap will be an unlockable costume fingers crossed for bucky cap and triangle shield cap

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Captain America: Super Soldier (2011)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:55 am 
Knight

994 total thanks.
Say thanks

Last edited by GalactuszBrutha on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:21 am 
Squire

Thanked 1 time for this post.
5 total thanks.
Say thanks

The game looks fun, hope its good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:26 pm 
Squire

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I hope this game doesn't become like almost every other movie tie in and suck.

I think Marvel show go the route of Arkham Asylum for their game properties and forgo movie tie ins altogether. The quality of the story/gameplay of Arkham asylum speaks for this approach being the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:28 pm 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks

so i hadnt ever heard about this game, and just got all excited reading this post, so i looked it up on wikipedia, and right out of the gate it says its based on the movie. it also says it didnt come out for pc. have any of you played it? is it worth checking out?