Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Avengers (2012)
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:17 am 
Marquis

Thanked 0 times for this post.
1,267 total thanks.
Say thanks

When I first walked into the movie theatre, I had many reservations about watching this film. Not the least of which was around the topic of practicality. How practical was it to build up to a movie that combines the intricate and complicated forces of over five different superheroes and put them on screen where they can be portrayed realistically? Despite the obvious care that Marvel had put into creating this franchise, it was still a high concern on my part.

When the movie opened, I was still concerned. There was quite a bit of confusion and eye raising at the magical appearance of Loki and the focus on the tesserect. However, despite that slightly shaky opening where there was more confusion than anything else - Loki appearing out of a warp tunnel and destroying everything after somehow mind controlling all the "important" members of the scientific community - the movie itself quickly turned around.

The key points to this movie was the script, the acting, and the visual effects. Something that wasn't really worthy of mention but was still effective in its own right was the music. It wasn't distracting and it didn't take away from the scene - it was used tastefully and (while not worthy of an oscar nomination) was decent.

The true top marks go to the script. Witty lines, careful banter, and flowing aggression fueled this dynamic. Preformed by truly talented actors who were clearly comfortable in the skin of the characters they had chosen, the lines were flawless. Moments that were briefly mentioned in the beginning were brought about again in the end to drive home certain points. Foreshadowing was everywhere, creating a circular movie that flowed and wasn't hindered by confusion or uncertainty.

The script alone was worthy of praise, but when coupled with the talented men and women who preformed their lines - it became truly an A grade movie. The effects were wonderful, but it was the muscle of the acting and their team of writers that really pulled this movie to the end. The tension between everyone, the continual references to certain characters special abilities and their strengths make it clear that this movie was carefully constructed and made to last.

Despite having a recipe for failure the all star cast and their truly perfect lines that mixed drama, humor, and realism was what made this movie an all around success. While I don't usually believe that movies could not be improved upon, there's little that I would have done to change this film.

It did not waste time showing meaningless drama between characters, it didn't drag up relationships between characters that lasted for hours, and it was tasteful in how it referenced material from previous films. Had there been no knowledge of the characters walking into the movie I believe that it would have been relatively easy to understand the film. It would have been complicated, but it would have worked all things considered. More difficult characters to understand would have been the Hulk, but even he received enough mention and explanation so that when he finally arrived on screen - we were ready for something big.

The background information on certain characters could have been expanded, however for the purposes of the film - it wasn't essential.

All around this film exceeded expectations, and I believe that it served its duty well. Certainly a must see for any comic fan, particularly those who love Marvel. As a DC fangirl whose interactions with marvel extend to the X-men alone - I found this to be an excellent gateway into the world of Marvel and am now interested in extending that interest further. Well done Marvel, A+ job.

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:55 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

If you'll notice, Marvel has classified its movies as a separate universe. It's called Marvel Cinematic Universe. So, anything they leave out or add could be considered practical due to dimensional incongruencies. That said, I too believe they made a very entertaining movie. The humor in what could have otherwise been a very grim story line really made it for me. I want to see a Hulk movie with Mark Ruffalo! :hulk:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:19 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

i thought this movie was amazing! the hulk brought a lot of humor to the story and by creating a film for each of the avengers before hand to explain their story meant that this movie didn't drag while they tried to explain the back story for everyone.they also developed the black widow and hawkeyes characters. this is an excellent film and anyone who hasnt seen it should go and see it right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:57 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

i think it was the biggest piece of entertainment any super hero movie ever delivered.
i have very high expectations for the man of steel but it will be hard to top this one.
not the best story obviously but the visuals where certainly amazing, as far as the actors downey jr was quite funny probably the best performance but i must disagree with you regarding the hulk i think this was the weakest hulk performance yet.