Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Adventures Through Tech Support
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:02 pm 
Duke

Thanked 0 times for this post.
563 total thanks.
Say thanks

I've been having a problem with my wifi signal on my HTC One X, which happened shortly after a firmware update. Figuring that to be the cause (I updated it, then 2 days later it gets very weak signal), I contacted tech support.

I tried an email, it came back 403, so I went via web chat. After 3 failed attempts using Chrome, I move it to IE9. After two failed attempts, here's the transcript (it's long):

Spoiler: show
You have been connected to Kevin.
Kevin: Thank you for your patience, I'm sorry for the delay. I am looking into your query now.
Acelister: Thank you
Kevin: regarding your weak wifi- issue for your One X have you tried any steps to correct the issue before contacting us?
Acelister: I've tried two routers with their latest firmwares and the other 5 devices I use have been working correctly.
Kevin: when you say it is weak can I ask you to elaborate on that please?
Acelister: There is a dot and three lines. When I have it in my bedroom where I always have it in the evenings, only the dot is lit up. Before the update on a bad day, I might get two lines and the dot. But usually I had full signal.
Acelister: But now I keep getting disconnected from WiFi or at best I only get the dot lit up
Kevin: Sometimes something may go wrong and minor glitches can appear after the update.
Normally they are caused by installed applications and settings interfering with the final part of the update when the phone reboots. The phone needs to be restarted without these applications to allow the update to complete correctly.
To resolve this we can try wiping the cache partition. This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the issues.
To clear the cache partition:
1. Turn the phone off (hold the Power key on devices with sealed battery)
2. Press and hold the Power key and Volume Down key to boot into bootloader mode.
3. Press Volume down to highlight Recovery, then press the Power key.
4. When the Black recovery screen appears, press Volume Up and Power at the same time to show the menu.
5. Press Volume down to highlight Wipe cache partition, then press the Power key.
6. When complete, press the Power key to reboot the phone.
Acelister: Will I lose any data?
Kevin: no
Acelister: rebooting now
Acelister: It was connected with only the dot lit up, but then it disconnected me back to 3G
Kevin: can I ask you to try turn off your mobile data to see if that helps please
Acelister: It is connected, but again, the signal is very weak. And this is a hassle if I must do it every time I want to use the internet.
Acelister: And it disconnected.
Acelister: It keeps losing the SSID whilst I'm watching it in the Wi-Fi menu.
Kevin: how far away are you from your router?
Acelister: The router is on another floor. The same distance as before the update, when I had full signal strength.
Acelister: Three other phones also show full signal from the same router, as they did last week before I applied the phone update.
Kevin: do you know what channel the router is set too?
Acelister: 11
Kevin: OK can you change this to a number between 1 and 10 please?
Acelister: I've changed it to 9
Acelister: The handset disconnected from the WiFi, then went back to only the dot being lit
Kevin: can you now reboot the phone please by pressing and holding the power button until the phone vibrates and the bottom buttons flash. the phone will then re-start itself
Acelister: done and it keeps losing the SSID.
Acelister: So is this a script we're running through, or am I the only person who's experiencing this?
Kevin: If this still has not resolved the issue the next thing I would suggest would be to perform a hard reset. Please note performing a hard reset will delete all data stored on the phones memory please ensure that you back you your phones memory be for performing a hard reset.
To perform a hard reset please follow these steps:
Performing a hard reset
From the Home screen, press MENU, and then tap Settings.
Tap Phone storage > Factory data reset.
Tap Reset phone, and then tap Erase everything.
Kevin: no this is not script we are running threw Ace I am trying to help you resolve this
Acelister: In that case, I'm just going to flash a custom firmware
Acelister: Thank you for your attempts to help me
Kevin: doing this will void all warranty with HTC
Acelister: I'm aware of that
Kevin: if there is a fault with the phone now or in the future you will just void all manufactures warranty
Acelister: I've done it with my last 4 HTC handsets and had no reason to send them back
Kevin: OK then I can suggest doing this but if you want to make that risk then that is up to you.
Acelister: If there is no fix for this WiFi issue, I have no choice if I wish to continue using my handset as I had been before the update
Kevin: yes I would suggest a hard reset Andrew
Acelister: And when that doesn't fix the issue?
Kevin: if doing a hard reset dose not resolve the issue then I would next suggest to book the phone in for repair.
Acelister: Surely sending it for a repair will get it sent back to me as No Fault Found? After all, it still connects. It just doesn't connect at the same distance as it did beforehand.
Acelister: Although, it does have a yellow blush on the bottom left of the screen
Acelister: What is the approximate turn-around for a handset sent for repair?
Kevin: repairs will take approximately 5 working days from when it arrives at the HTC Repair Centre and it's subject to parts availability.
Acelister: How big does the yellow 'blush' have to be for it to be repaired/replaced?
Kevin: I can offer you a repair now
Acelister: I'm backing up the handset so I can do a wipe and restore. I will try all of the options, including sending it for repair at HTC, before I do anything like a custom firmware.
Kevin: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Acelister: Tell me more about this repair you can offer me
Kevin: We can arrange for UPS to collect your device from an address (Mainland UK only) that is convenient for you. UPS can collect on Monday through Friday from 1pm to 5pm. There is no UPS service on Weekends and Public Holidays.
Should our engineers determine that the fault you are experiencing is caused by physical damage, wear and tear or illegal software, it will not be covered by warranty. The repair will be chargeable and we will send you a quote. Should you not wish to pay that quote, there will be an approximate £25 diagnosis, shipping & handling fee to have the device returned to you and not repaired. Please note that we are unable to give any quotations/costs as the device will need to be seen buy an engineer before a quotation is issued.
Liquid-damaged devices are returned immediately, unrepaired and without charge as they are beyond economic repair.
Your repair will take approximately 5 working days from when it arrives at the HTC Repair Centre and it's subject to parts availability.
Kevin: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Kevin: Please can you let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with? If I have not received a response from you, your session will automatically timeout soon.
Acelister: I will do a restore and get back to you about the repair

So I back up my 22GB of data. Whilst I'm doing that, I have a browse online. Turns out, there is a known hardware fault. Known so much that HTC have produced a PDF for the factory that explains how to diagnose and repair it. So, I attempt to email them again.

Spoiler: show
Hello,
I spoke to a member of the technical support team on the Chat Online section - Kevin - earlier this evening. My problem is with my HTC One X - the wifi has been weak. This is coupled with the yellow blemish on the lower left of the screen. I have owned the generic handset since the start of June.
After roughly 40 minutes, Kevin told me the last thing left to do was a full reset. I backed up all of my data and did so - but the wifi issue was still unresolved. I thought it must be the recent firmware update which had caused the problem and considered installing a custom firmware - as I have had no problems with my other three HTC handsets. But searching online revealed that there is a known wifi hardware fault. As such, I would like to arrange for my handset to be collected for repair.
I am aware that the yellow blush has not been seen as a major issue on previous handsets, the HTC Touch Diamond had a much smaller one than is currently on my device for instance, but I would like for it to be checked as well. I felt it was not a big enough issue to contact yourselves when I originally purchased the device, but as I am sending it back for a wifi issue as well, I have reconsidered.
Thank you,
Acelister

But it goes 403 in IE too. So I tweeted them and am going to sleep - that's what the HTC_UK Twitter admin is doing.

I can understand them not wanting to admit there is a hardware fault, but for a fault that is so easy to diagnose - "Press here very lightly - does the signal change?" - why not mention it? He can assume I know about phones, mentioning owning several HTC's and having flashed them all with custom firmware.

tl;dr - tech support sucks. Even when they seem to know what they're doing.

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject: Re: Adventures Through Tech Support
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:00 am 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

tech support mainly deals with issues related to software,hardware issues are almost always handled by certified engineers,who would have hard time helping you unless you bring them the faulty device for proper diagnosis.

at least that's how it works around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:35 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

Most of the time in the UK, the tech support staff have a script to run through and little-to-no experience with engineering.

But even so, you'd think the fault they produce a document about - and is reported on a variety of tech news outlets - would get a mention before "Okay, wipe your device. While you're doing that, I'm going home."

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW