Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ISP policing copyright - Six Strikes - USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:00 am 
Squire

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks

This is of interest to anyone living in the US so I thought I should post it here:

Basic summary: your internet providers will police downloads. If they think you downloaded copyrighted material (and how they want to be sure of that I do not have a clue) they'll send you notices, if you don't stop it seems they can do anything from slowing your internet to cutting off your Internet to fines.

The launch date is planned to be July 1st

Quote:
The way this program will work is that employees from all major telecommunication companies (Comcast, COX, AT&T, etc.) will be required to spy on, suspend/ cancel service, force an "education class" about the illegitimate fines that are going to be imposed if any copy-written materials are placed on their computer. If a person, whether or not is the same person that took that class, downloads any copy-written materials on the same internet connection (whether or not in your home or on an unsecured network as well) the service will be cancelled from the ISP. In many counties and states there are already mandates that force people to go with only one ISP, therefore, if you are cancelled, you get no internet service whatsoever other than dial-up which is of almost no use at all.

Source:
Code:
https://www.change.org/petitions/riaa-and-the-obama-administration-stop-isps-from-launching-a-massive-copyright-spying-scheme-this-july-12th?utm_campaign=share_button_modal&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition%20petition

Quote:
The country's largest Internet service providers haven't given up on the idea of becoming copyright cops.
Rest of the Article at the Source

Source:
Code:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-57397452-261/riaa-chief-isps-to-start-policing-copyright-by-july-1/

So yeah, hope that helps someone out there to prepare before they start that nonsense.
Cashay

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject: Re: ISP policing copyright - Six Strikes - USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:15 pm 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

1.the internet providers will run to the ground if they actually enforce this.
2.the pirates will find new creative ways to secure their operations.

while I do hope they find a non lethal way to counter piracy,I still think the war on piracy is as winnable as the war on drugs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:28 am 
Serf

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

This whole idea is actually something that internet providers have been doing for many years.

Every ISP has a policy enforcement division, and the major tool in their arsenal is called "Deep Packet Inspection (DPI)." Essentially, it's analysis of a set of packets on a particular port that actually opens the packet and inspects the contents. Some providers, and especially in the past, have just restricted certain ports (i.e. common file sharing ports or steaming ports that are left open too long and your bandwidth gets cut), but the clever folk out there have, of course, started using a number of ports for file sharing and thus ISPs have taken to inspecting the actual data itself that's being transmitted.

In the US, it's actually illegal - a violation of the reasonable expectation privacy since many trade secrets and much confidential information flow through the interwebs. They say they're just looking at the "headers," or information about the kind of information contained in a packet, but to access those you have open the packet - so it's arguably a grey area in terms of the law (but we all know those with the most lawyers and $$ tend to determine the law).

The long-awaited point is that this isn't anything new. It's really not that serious from a legal standpoint as those accused should have fair legal recourse to defend themselves against ISPs (because they shouldn't be looking anyway). If anything, the "traditional" methods of catching pirates will still work and are the best legal option for ISPs (i.e. planting their own file sharing servers).

In my opinion, this is a publicity exercise aimed at making people think before they pirate and to let them know that they're being watched, just like they have been for the past 10-15 years online.

I don't pirate, and I'm not a fan of piracy (just like anyone who has ever made a living online will probably agree) because we all work hard to do what we do and deserve fair compensation. By the same token, whining industry execs get little sympathy here as they want to arrest anybody who ever had an episode of LOST playing on their TV in a YouTube video that had nothing to do with the show. It's the smaller software firms and small filmmakers who get my sympathy and my money. The big guys have enough cash to find creative new of ways stopping piracy, it's the small guys who need our help and don't deserve to have their creations freely distributed - considering what little hope they have of stopping piracy themselves.

Conclusion -> Don't worry about it, the new policies won't make a damn bit of difference.

- Also, I'm not a lawyer or IT guy, so I'm probably wrong about some of this, but the principle is sound! -

Hugs and happy internets for all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:08 am 
Marquis

1,267 total thanks.
Say thanks

Sounds like people could get in trouble like this. I can see the "harrassment" claims starting right up...that and "descrimination" -_-