Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Studying in Scotland/UK
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:13 pm 
Squire

Thanked 0 times for this post.
24 total thanks.
Say thanks

Those of you in the UK, I am looking to study post graduate school at Glasgow in Scotland, anyone know of any scholarships that deadlines havent been met yet? They are very unforgiving apparently of that April 30 deadline, and don't care that the Midwest in the US has had severe thunderstorms and tornados knocking out power/internet to submit this stuff. Message me please!

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:07 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

wrong site dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:20 pm 
Count

3,874 total thanks.
Say thanks

probably felt it was a decent place to ask as its a UK based site. While it might be easier to just google UK scholarships or something, he probably figured someone here may already know.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:03 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

i think the fact that its a comic site overwhelms the fact that its a UK based site

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:55 am 
Knight

621 total thanks.
Say thanks

jizzme wrote:
i think the fact that its a comic site overwhelms the fact that its a UK based site

...despite the fact that said 'comic site' has subforums covering popular culture, sport, generic life discussion...

it's not as if the overarching knowledge of 'comics' supersedes knowledge and/or awareness of anything else. it's a public community with a healthy dose of those who might have the relevant knowledge, ergo it's as good a place to ask as any.

jesus me... it's like working with sheep. >_>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:44 am 
Squire

24 total thanks.
Say thanks

Yeah, it's one of those amazing things. I read comics, hence I come to this site. I also enjoy going to college, and will be going to study in the UK. So why, in this crazy world, would I think of posting something on a UK based comic site, which as mentioned by Envy, has other subforums.

It's weird to think that some people might LIVE in the UK, AND post on this site. Some, which this might just be even more crazy, might have had a scholarship or work for a university and might have that information.

Yes, I have done a great deal of scholarship searching by just generic internet searches, but some schools don't post all the information online.

I almost thought that most of the forum peeps here weren't as bad and childish with their responses than most gaming website commenters. I thought wrong.

But thanks for the reply, Envy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:07 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

have you thought about actually visiting the school's website?

there are dedicated forums for grad school --> try gradcafe...i guess you didn't find that in your generic internet searches?

"I almost thought that most of the forum peeps here weren't as bad and childish with their responses than most gaming website commenters. I thought wrong."

well you are wrong and you don't deserve to go to grad school on a scholarship because rely on generic internet searches to research grad school, not to mention you are a hypocrite.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:34 am 
Squire

24 total thanks.
Say thanks

jizzme wrote:

there are dedicated forums for grad school --> try gradcafe...i guess you didn't find that in your generic internet searches?

"I almost thought that most of the forum peeps here weren't as bad and childish with their responses than most gaming website commenters. I thought wrong."

well you are wrong and you don't deserve to go to grad school on a scholarship because rely on generic internet searches to research grad school, not to mention you are a hypocrite.

I already have two grad schools that accepted me. I have been to their sites, extensively. I have been to other sites dedicated to scholarships and grants. The reason why I'm posting here is partly because it is a UK based site, which I mentioned. And I'm not going on a scholarship. You clearly don't understand how those work, nor what the definition of a hypocrite is because I haven't actually done anything to be considered one. I stated that I got some extreme childish answers to a simple open-ended question on a general discussion forum.

Thanks for the gradcafe link though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:14 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

The British Council has the Education UK website that includes details scholarships for international students like yourself. I've not gone searching to see what's available but it might be a useful resource.
Code:
http://www.educationuk.org/Scholarships-for-UK-study

Glasgow, though? I hope you've some experience with the Scottish accent, because the Glaswegian Patter makes them nigh incomprehensible - even to Brits.
Try episodes of Rab C. Nesbitt to get a taste of it.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:28 pm 
Knight

621 total thanks.
Say thanks

Mabsuk wrote:
I hope you've some experience with the Scottish accent, because the Glaswegian Patter makes them nigh incomprehensible

...said the dude from Leeds. :P

just joshing, bud. :wink: it's actually a very fair point. a very good friend of mine lives in Glasgow - her accent isn't incomprehensibly thick, but a few of her friends certainly took some getting used to!

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:21 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

audioincubus wrote:
jizzme wrote:

I already have two grad schools that accepted me. I have been to their sites, extensively. I have been to other sites dedicated to scholarships and grants. The reason why I'm posting here is partly because it is a UK based site, which I mentioned. And I'm not going on a scholarship. You clearly don't understand how those work, nor what the definition of a hypocrite is because I haven't actually done anything to be considered one. I stated that I got some extreme childish answers to a simple open-ended question on a general discussion forum.

Thanks for the gradcafe link though.

well i consider a childish reaction, a childish response so yes you are a hypocrite. You clearly don't understand logic and the fact that scholarships (most for grad school) are based on merit which you clearly didn't (past tense) display when you admitted that you do school research through generic internet searches. Congrats on your acceptances, I clearly don't care and if that factors into your arguement, well i'm not a mind reader and I don't have ESP. I find it hilarious you overreact.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:43 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Envy wrote:
Mabsuk wrote:
I hope you've some experience with the Scottish accent, because the Glaswegian Patter makes them nigh incomprehensible

...said the dude from Leeds. :P

just joshing, bud. :wink: it's actually a very fair point. a very good friend of mine lives in Glasgow - her accent isn't incomprehensibly thick, but a few of her friends certainly took some getting used to!

A Leeds accent? I certainly hope not. I'm only in Leeds as a student. I'm a Leicester boy born and bred, Tigers fan through and through, although to speak with me most people suspect further south than the East Midlands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:52 pm 
Marquis

1,267 total thanks.
Say thanks

Jizzme and Audioincubus, the both of you are overreacting here. Audio, something you should realize is that Jizzme's an asshole on his best of days - he likes causing trouble, and can be fun if you're in the mood for it. You're obviously not. Jizzme, you need to know when to back down.

Audio, I apologize if you feel like we're treating you unfairly. Yes, this is a uk based site, however there's a vast majority of people who aren't from the UK or have knowledge of the question you've asked. I certainly think you had a right to ask your question here. If you're looking for scholarships, you could try to find national scholarships or grants that are given, I'm an american as well and don't know what the format for those would be. You can probably find them through an online search. Contact the head of the department you're looking into specifically and speak with him/her directly. It might give you more information.

Jizzme, cool your horse feathers, this kid just wants help with his school work. It might not be the best place for it, but at the same time - it's not right to start a fight with him when he's clearly stressed and trying to get help.