Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DC Universe Online Legends (26 issue maxi-series)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:30 pm 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
696 total thanks.
Say thanks

This series just finished recently so I will review the whole thing. It was written by Marv Wolfman, Tony Bedard, and Tom Taylor. Drawn by Howard Porter, Adriana Melo, Norman Lee, Mike Miller, and Bruno Redundo. Most of the issues were inked by Livesay.

Well, you can actually enjoy this comic without playing the game at all. I do not play the game and am all thumbs at those things anyway so I doubt I will. But the comic has been great about making me feel like I don't need to.

The storyline is almost reminiscent of Worlds at War in that we have Brainiac invading the Earth and comes at odds not only with Earth's mighty heroes but Lex Luthor as well. But that is where any similarity ends as this is not a Superman themed storyline. In fact, for Lex Luthor fans this would be your series to read as he has a starring role throughout. Lex must grapple with the fact that he may well have brought about the doomed fate of the world.

Appearances by all the major DC heroes and villains. We have 26 (27 if you count the mini-comic that came with the game) issues of action here. Even some minor characters like Breathtaker, and Blue Devil have a lot of panel time. The issues with art by Melo were my favorite looking ones, but really all the artwork is pretty good. And the writing was great as well. There were a few instances where they cut scenes at odd times or a character appears without introduction but it did not detract the overall effect the story had on my enjoyment.

As this story takes place outside of the 'real' DC Universe take warning, nothing is safe. If you think a character won't die because they are integral to the DC pantheon think again. They can die. I won't spoil it by saying who, but if you've watched the trailer for the video game you know who I mean.

If you're looking for an epic story taking place in the DC Universe (pre-New 52) then this series is for you. If you're looking for a story with deep development of Lex Luthor as a character, then this is the series for you. If you're looking for action, this is the series for you.

So far it is being collected into trade paperback and there are two volumes out now (collecting 0-12, I think). I've got the series in individual issues which was a little bit more expensive to collect. However, it was worth it. 8)

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.