Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Marvel Universe- How to start (Marvel reboot???)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:11 pm 
Serf

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Hi there,

When I was younger I would like to be an avid comic reader, but unfortunately money was a major setback.
For me it was a few books from time to time.
Now that I have the time and there are other ways I would like to start reading again.
When I started researching how to start, I realized some things that didn't know. First I thought that when you start with x-men for example if you had all the numbers it was fine. Wrong, with those story arcs running on different magazines it´s a lot different that I was expecting. So I was reading and try to figure how to get acquaintance to the marvel universe. After discovering that HC and TPB were hardcover and tradepaper back ( I was such a noob) I came to the idea that they were the best way to start reading, preferably TPB because they usually are complete story arc. But the amount of TPB found on the web aren't that much.
So start downloading random magazines that I would found trying to sort them later. But after 1200 comics downloaded individually I came to realize that I´m no were near to start a reading order. I have some TPB but the problem is that When you start reading one you realize that there are side stories that already happened and you are going to be lost. So I decided to see if the torrents network could give a hand. We have a lot of 0 day comics available but they are present issues. There are a few packs around so been inspecting what would be the best. Yesterday I found Marvel Major Event Chronology.

It seems maybe the best option out there but I would like to have your opinion.
Also I realized that DC made a reboot last year. So I thought with my self, Great, it would be a great opportunity to start reading DC also. Some research after, the best thing I have discovered ( you are going to laugh) I was all-ways seeing DC the new 52 in the comic stores but never stopped to think what was the new 52, when later one I discovered that they were 52 issues released by DC. Damn, never though about that, I was thinking maybe on Earth 52 or something like that. I took one and a half hour to realize that. OMG
The thing is that I got all the 52 first issues. When I was reading Green Lantern #1 first pages we have Sinestro saying the oath and a guardian talking about his betrayal. Damn, what reboot is this if it´s using back stories from before the reboot. So a starting fan is going to be confused. Are they going to explain what happened?? Why the magazines don´t start with the beginning of the beginning??
The point on this is that even with this I heard that DC has made it to return to the top of the sells. So with this in mind is marvel going to make a reboot also?? Should I wait for it?? If yes great stories from before are going to be told again?? Will it be a soft reboot as DC or a zero reboot to start everything from scratch??

Sorry for the testament, I think I let my self go for a bit!!

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:39 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I agree...although I am enjoying the majority of the major titles DC is putting out they really screwed up by not starting at 0. You cant just pick and choose which backstories and what events to use. It is very confusing and a reason why they dont have a solid timeline yet...if they even do one.

A Marvel reboot would be very difficult..too many characters as well as now being part of Disney (would affect the films they put out).

Post subject: Re: Marvel Universe- How to start (Marvel reboot???)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:02 pm 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

I find almost every Marvel 1st issue I read to be new-reader friendly,any necessary back story is usually summarized in the first issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:04 pm 
Knight

135 total thanks.
Say thanks

Honestly a reboot would make me not buy the companies comics anymore period. Since the reboot I have not bought any Green Lantern even though I am a huge fan of Guy Gardner. It just I don't want to go back to the beginning, I don't want the past to have never been written by the great writers or the bad writers, they leave their mark, and I don't want to forget the whole story and let some new writers in to retell it, it's so fucking hollywood thinking their shit don't stink and they for some reason think they can make the classic works better.

to combat evil with all Green Lantern's might!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:22 pm 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

they're not retelling old stories,they're retconning them,the current Green Lantern books continue exactly where WotGL left off.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:31 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I believe, in relation to DC recent relaunch, that Marvel has an storyline much more friendlier. It's a lot easier to pick one to begin with.
And has the Point One issues, that the ones that are good, are a lot of help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:00 am 
Knight

135 total thanks.
Say thanks

Lex I guess retelling is a wrong word, but they are in a way I guess putting all the old pieces back together after saying fresh slate, in the end imo the way it was before flashpoint is how it will end up not because they gave up on it, but it's just the direction its going to go, I don't see how they can tell a different story with the same characters.

to combat evil with all Green Lantern's might!"

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:30 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

houseofusher wrote:
Lex I guess retelling is a wrong word, but they are in a way I guess putting all the old pieces back together after saying fresh slate, in the end imo the way it was before flashpoint is how it will end up not because they gave up on it, but it's just the direction its going to go, I don't see how they can tell a different story with the same characters.

To be honest, the new GLC series starting again at #1 is really no different to when Emerald Warriors started at #1. The New 52 GL is virtually following on seemlessly from the pre-FP series, only thing that sticks out is the tweak to Kyle's origin.

As for Marvel, they aren't a reboot company so I can't see them ever doing something as major as the New 52. Marvel are solidly in the relaunch & retcon business - always happy to slap a #1 on anything and rewrite/ignore things that don't fit the story they are trying to tell at the minute.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:25 pm 
Serf

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Thanks for all the feedback.
I´ve learned about the one point series, didn't know about that and is a very good asset to new readers. I understand that a reboot is not an easy task. Forget about those great stories told way back and start over again it's hard. But it has been a disappointment what DC made, because making such an outcry and then seeing the truth. I was thinking about a real reboot from scratch, not a soft reboot.

As for the marvel side being a lot more reader friendly for newcomers, maybe it´s truth but for example: Xavier died, I don't know why when or where but when I heard about it I want to know what happened, and not read about it in the beginning of a new arc.

So I have to go back and read old stories to be better prepared for newer issues. And because only reading the X-men isn't going to be enough because all of those tie-ins and crossovers the best thing I came to think is that the best thing for a newcomer, is to read the major arc story's.

So what do you think about the torrent I talked about. It has the following arcs:
01 - Original Galactus Saga, 02 - Kree Skrull War, 03 - Death of Gwen Stacy, 04 - Secret Empire 05 - Korvac Saga, 06 - Phoenix Saga, 07 - Dark Phoenix Saga, 08 - Days of Future Past
09 - Contest of Champions, 10 - Secret Wars, 11 - Secret Wars II, 12 - Mutant Massacre
13 - The Fall of the Mutants, 14 - Kraven's Last Hunt, 15 - Armor Wars / Stark Wars
16 - Evolutionary War, 17 - Inferno, 18 - Atlantis Attacks, 19 - Acts of Vengeance,
20 - Terminus Factor, 21 - Thanos Quest, 22 - Armor Wars II, 23 - X-Tinction Agenda
24 - Cross Time Caper, 25 - Subterranean Wars, 26 - Infinity Gauntlet , 27 - Muir Island Saga
28 - Operation Galactic Storm, 29 - Infinity War, 30 - Rise of the Midnight Sons
31 - The Herald Ordeal, 32 - X-Cutioner's Son, 33 - Infinity Crusade
34 - Maximum Carnage, 35 - Fatal Attractions, 36 - Blood Ties,37 - Blood and Thunder
38 - Siege of Darkness,39 - Phalanx Covenant, 40 - Starblast, 41 - Clone Saga
42 - Age of Apocalypse, 43 - The Crossing, 44 - Onslaught, 45 - Operation Zero Tolerance
46 - Heroes Reborn, 47 - Heroes Return, 48 - Apocalypse The Twelve,
49 - Contest of Champions II, 50 - Avengers Forever, 51 - Maximum Security,
52 - The Kang Dynasty, 53 - Infinity Abyss, 54 - Marvel Universe: The End
55 - Avengers Disassembled, 56 - Enemy of the State, 57 - Winter Soldier 58 - Fury's Secret War
59 - Breakout, 60 - House of M, 61 - Spider-Man The Other, 62 - Decimation, 63 - Silent War
64 - The Collective, 65 - Road to Civil War, 66 - Civil War, 67 - The Initiative, 68 - Planet Hulk
69 - Annihilation, 70 - World War Hulk, 71 - Aftersmash, 72 - Annihilation Conquest
73 - Endangered Species, 74 - Messiah Complex

Do you think that its sufficient or are there any more arc that are a must reader???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:40 pm 
Duke

1,300 total thanks.
Say thanks

The list contains a fair bit of crap, but I suppose you'll be able to skip past the duff stuff when you get to it. I would add Jim Starlin's Thanos/Cosmic Cube storyline from Iron Man #55 and Captain Marvel #25-33 and his Warlock saga in Strange Tales #178-181, Warlock #9-15, Marvel Two-In One Annual #2 & Avengers Annual #7 (much better than his later Infinity Gauntlet/War/Crusade/Abyss stuff) and Steve Englehart's work on the Avengers-Defenders War (Avengers #115-118 & Defenders #8-11) and the Celestial Madonna Saga (Avengers #129-135 & Giant-Sized Avengers #2-4).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:49 pm 
Serf

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Thanks for your opinion Lee Kirby Oswald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:47 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm old skool and I think reading the original comics and watching them grow and evolve is interesting. There is really too much to tell in the Comic Universe.

Some of the old golden age comics such as Avengers, FF and X-Men are interesting to see how simple it was (ah...life was so simple then and it's funny to read how 'dumb down' things were, how simple and untrained heroes were).

Then it became too many cross-overs to follow and rapid change.
Then multi-universe, parallel universe, and more crossovers... reboots and restarts.

backtracking of past stories that 'added' more 'depth' to characters and untold stories.

Things just then got more violent and then the vampires and zombies/undead twists....

Sigh.... It's just gotten too much and comics have totally deviated from the 'classics'.

Like in movies, how many times can you reboot Batman?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:59 pm 
Serf

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm in the same boat as you DD-PT. It is very confusing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:29 pm 
Knight

154 total thanks.
Say thanks

the reason why Marvel is so much easier to read than DC is because Marvel hasn't had 50 crises trying to fix things....DC didn't do Flashpoint to make things easier...they did it as a promotion to get new readers in...if the goal was to actually make things easier for new readers then they would have just started everything over and retold everyone's origins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:18 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

reboot the amalgam comics lol