Post subject: New Ongoing She-Hulk series
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:46 pm 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

I just had to post about this

Code:
http://www.newsarama.com/19035-marvel-announces-new-she-hulk-ongoing-series.html

Quote:
While still in the midst of releasing a series of teaser images for upcoming projects , Marvel is now giving readers something more substantial to chew on as it has announced via USA Today that the long-time Avenger She-Hulk will be getting a new February 2014-launching ongoing series by writer Charles Soule (Thunderbolts, Swamp Thing) and Javier Pulido (Hawkeye).

The writer seems to be a second string dc writer (and considering the fact that most "first string" DC writers suck, I'm pretty worried) but I'm hoping he's better than his DC work would indicate. I also just looked up the artist. Javier Pulido worked on Hawkeye, and has the same art style as the horrible David aja. Damn you Marvel. You give me the ongoing I want, but with a DC comics writer and a horrible artist. This is just my luck. Hopefully the writing will make the art bearable, like in Hawkeye. Still, they do seem to be setting the book up to fail.

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:39 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

So which of Soule's DC books aren't you enjoying right now?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:30 pm 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

Spaced wrote:
So which of Soule's DC books aren't you enjoying right now?

I actually don't know if I've read anything by him. I dropped swamp thing after about 5 issues, and red Lanterns after about 15, so I never read his DC work. I'm just saying that having his most recongnised work be on two mediocre (at best) DC books doesn't make him someone I'm confidant is any good at writing comics. I hope he surprises me, its just that his work so far hasn't been anything but mediocre books at a bad comic company, some random stuff, and a marvel title I refuse to read until the real Thunderbolts come back (no lame team with Punisher or the horrible Dark Avengers).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:40 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

So you haven't read any of the books he writes but you know they are mediocre? What kind of logic is that?

Personally I think Soule is stretching himself a bit too far (She-Hulk will be his SIXTH ongoing book that he's writing) so I could see either quality dropping off or him leaving some of the books he's on, only time will tell.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:50 pm 
Knight

40 total thanks.
Say thanks

*Snigger* "Logic" Oh Spaced!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:30 pm 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

Spaced wrote:
So you haven't read any of the books he writes but you know they are mediocre? What kind of logic is that?

Personally I think Soule is stretching himself a bit too far (She-Hulk will be his SIXTH ongoing book that he's writing) so I could see either quality dropping off or him leaving some of the books he's on, only time will tell.

Last time I checked, Red Lanterns and Swamp Thing were second string DC books, and while that tends to be where DC manages to get a few good books (like batwoman or the cancelled Demon Knights) those were not two of them last time I looked. Maybe he's made swamp thing readable and made Red Lanterns interesting again. I'm not saying Soule is a bad writer, I don't know. I'm just saying that having Swamp Thing and red Lanterns as probably his two biggest comic writing jobs is not something that screams "great writer".

Still, I should check some of his stuff out. Maybe give his Red Lanterns or Tbolts run a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:58 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

DrainBamaged wrote:
*Snigger* "Logic" Oh Spaced!

I know, I know. It's a character flaw of mine.

batman55555 wrote:
Last time I checked, Red Lanterns and Swamp Thing were second string DC books,

Honestly that's where some of the most enjoyable books tend to be. True they tend to be cancelled more often than not but when they are there they are good. And imho the A-List books are often major disappointments.

A good writer can write a good comic regardless of the perceived status of the book/characters. I could list a load of writers who've barely touched the A-List but I'll try their books based on past stuff that I've liked.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:11 am 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm not arguing that. A lot of great books aren't the A-List stuff. PAD's X-Factor is one of the best comic book runs I've ever read, but it never became an a-list book. I can name a lot of books like that, in fact I'd bet a good deal of my favorite comic runs were never A-list level. Still, that doesn't mean every second string book is good, and some books just get ruined by bad writing. When I think of Swamp Thing, I think of the green/grey. When I think of that, I see red :lol:

But seriously, that whole Green/Grey/Red thing made Swamp thing and Animal Man unreadable, so its hard to imagine a good Swamp Thing book. Red Lanterns mediocrity also kind of screwed it up for me, and Tbolts had 11 issues of mostly bad to horrible reviews before Soule. Still, I'll check some of his stuff out. I want him to be a great writer, anyone who will be working with my favorite Marvel character is someone that I hope is a great writer. He just hasn't done anything that, right now, I can look at and say "Wow, he did that? I bet he's a pretty good writer". He's an unknown that happens to work on some books that I didn't find too enjoyable in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:11 pm 
Knight

30 total thanks.
Say thanks

batman55555 wrote:
But seriously, that whole Green/Grey/Red thing made Swamp thing and Animal Man unreadable,

I actually thought it made sense.. if plants get a "green", why shouldn't animals get a "red".. IMO it fits..
I thought swamp thing was pretty good in general.. maybe this will be the book to make you go "oh, he did that? he's great!".. hope so..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:52 pm 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

Actually, I'm now caught up on his Red Lantern run, and most of his Tbolts and Swamp Thing runs. I actually like all three books. Red Lanterns is actually interesting, Tbolts is entertaining (even if they really shouldn't have used the Thunderbolts name with this totally unrelated book) and Swamp Thing is much, much better than it was when the New 52 started. So, now that I've read his stuff, he actually seems like a pretty good writer. I think he could write She-Hulk well. I just hope that he remembers that all of her series have had a good amount of fun and himor in them, even the ones that didn't break the fourth wall constantly like Sensational She-Hulk. His Deadpool is pretty humorous, so I think if he goes into the book with the right ideas, he could succeed and put out a great She-Hulk book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:24 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I am actually happy that my favorite female character is getting her own book again. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:49 am 
Serf

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

gotta love she hulk...but i think they need to make her lose control and act like the savage hulk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:51 pm 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

The problem with the current she-Hulk book is that it looks like they've paid a 3 year old to draw it. It started out with mediocre art, but the last few issues have been completely unacceptable for a mainstream comic. This

is not professional art. The only character that's even identifiable without dialog naming them is She-Hulk, and that's because she's the only green person. I mean, even if Marvel doesn't care about the book (and they clearly don't), they could find cheap artists who draw a lot better than this. The story of the book is interesting, but I don't think I've seen worse art than this in a mainstream book. Maybe The Dark Knight Strikes Again had worse art, but that's a maybe. It sucks because the story is interesting, but they just about found the worst artist possible, and I think that's what will kill the book. No one should be expected to pay for a book drawn like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:06 pm 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

Quote:
The only character that's even identifiable without dialog naming them is She-Hulk, and that's because she's the only green person.

Who's that ginger kid in the last panel with morning wood? :wink:
But in seriousness I do agree with that comment. It's a shame really because I don't mind the book and hope the stories get better, but the art is a real turn off. I ended up binge reading the last 4 issues, only because I had to psych myself up to it and it took that long for me to do it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:29 am 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

I read the first arc but am in no rush to read more. The art is horrible. In the first issue, IIRC, there's a huge image of She-Hulk's face and her eyes are... What's it called when you cross your eyes but going opposite directions? And I was reading the digital version, so I know it wasn't just an optical illusion.

The last series was great. I was really looking forward to this...

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW