Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Marvel's 'Shake-Up'
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:34 pm 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
568 total thanks.
Say thanks

I haven't seen any posts about this yet so thought I'd group them into one big hit. What are peoples opinions on the major changes to some of Marvel's biggest and most popular characters? I won't spoiler any of these as it's all common knowledge on Marvel's website

1) Steve Rogers OAP and a new Cap set to be named

2) Wolverine soon to be killed off

3) And now Thor to be unworthy and a female Thor to be debuted.

This last one is such a big deal apparently as an attempt to bring more women into comics and have another big strong female lead. It has been announced on The View no doubt as a PR attempt to make sure as many women see the news as poss. Not sure how The View works in the States but if it is anything like Loose Women over here, most ladies who watch it wouldn't be likely to pick up a comic book! That aside, I keep seeing web articles going on about what this new female Thor will mean for the cinematic universe and Phase 3!?! I've gotta say, it could be an interesting shake up but why does any of it, especially the new Thor, have to have any sudden impact on the movies? Surely that would be a terrible idea to make a movie around a change that may not take well and could see male Thor back wielding Mjolnir within a year! (sorry didn't realise I had quite so much to say on this subject!)

What I really wonder is how long do you all think it will be before Steve Rogers is back as Cap, Wolverine returns from the grave and Thor is back to his worthy self? Will the change in these titles and related issues mean you drop them until the more familiar faces return?

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject: Re: Marvel's 'Shake-Up'
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:02 am 
Count

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

for someone who's been reading Marvel and DC comics for the past decade I realized soon enough that all those shake ups don't amount to shit on the long run, meant only for a quick buck and sooner or later (usually a few months before a premier of a comic-oriented film) things get back to "normal"

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:35 am 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

Yeah I know, I should be used to these 'shake-ups' and character deaths/changes etc. I think this just surprised me because they are making such large changes to 3 of the biggies at almost the same time.

Also the statement made by Jason Aaron: “This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before.” Maybe I'm being picky but everything about that sentence annoys me! I like a strong female character and actually am curious to see more about this new direction (If not Angela, then I'm guessing Jane Foster…again!!!) But she isn't Thor, she is someone with the power of Thor, or at least Mjolnir! Yeah no problem with her using the name for the superhero gig, but I can't imagine her walking around Asgardia and everyone saying "hey Thor, don't suppose you've seen unworthy Thor knocking around have you?"

Bah, I just need to get over it and stop over thinking it all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:45 am 
Knight

40 total thanks.
Say thanks

It's not that I have a problem with Thor becoming a woman, if they can come up with a story line that works well ok then. I just think it's a little over the top to completely overhaul a character with such a long history. Seems a little shock for the sake of shock you know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:18 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

This will be the new status quo. Up until the point that Marvel need to advertise the new film - so my guess would be that Steve Rogers is going to stay old until at least April next year, and likewise Thor (He-Thor?) will become worthy again around the same time (Wolvie could stay dead a little longer, as Marvel/Disney don't seem to really care about the X-Men movies that much if a lot of rumours are to be believed).

This is exactly the same as Superior Spider-Man. Peter miraculously returned to take ownership of his body - right before the cinematic Spider-Man returned. Marvel (and DC for that matter) are not going to risk having a different version of a popular character in the comics as is in the films right around the time they are trying to promote them.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:47 pm 
Knight

303 total thanks.
Say thanks

willing to bet its not about thor turning into a woman, but more about someone else who is a woman now carrying the mantle.

recently marvel acquired angela from the spawn universe and her story has apparently turned to how she is a long lost daughter of odin.

apparently she'll get mjornir somehow.

i doubt it'll have any effect on the cinematic universe. whenever avengers 2 or his next movie is set to go, i'm sure classic thor in all his glory will return in the comics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:50 pm 
Knight

256 total thanks.
Say thanks

I agree that the changes will not be permanent, and things will revert back to normal eventually. But I wonder, since they changed Cap and Thor what's in store for Tony since he is the last of the big three they didn't do anything with...yet. My guess that somehow things will lead to AXIS and eventually to Hickman's Time runs out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:56 pm 
Knight

303 total thanks.
Say thanks

well, maybe what happens to tony is that he is kicked out. the main avengers title keeps calling what he did, 'betrayal' regarding the timeline into the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:03 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

It's just another mainstream media grab.

As far as Thor goes, it seems to be a bit random. I've seen readers posting on other sites that they've no idea where this is coming from as far as the current storyline goes.

At least the Cap replacement has been built up to like Superior. The big announcement for who the new Cap is is taking place tonight apparently.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:17 pm 
Marquis

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

Eric Masterson was Thor 431-458
Cap was Nomad 178-183 and The Captain 337-351 (John Walker was Captain America for some of that)

It won't take long before an alternate reality Wolverine comes over and everything is back to normal. The other two won't last a year.

Still, it's gutsy changing the characters so radically all at once.

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:16 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

So the "shake up" continues. It's now been confirmed (as most had already guessed) that Sam Wilson/The Falcon is going to be taking over Captain America now that Steve Rogers is unable to carry on.

And alongside that they have announced "Avengers NOW!", which is a brand new "publishing initiative" following on from "Marvel NOW!".

This new Avengers is going to be headlined by "Superior Iron Man" who, while it won't be Doc Ock taking over Starks body, will see Iron Man donning a new chrome armour & moving to San Francisco - but I haven't seen mention that Superior Iron Man is actually Tony Stark - they've just said that it's not a body swap like Superior Spider-Man, but the name connection is "intentional" as he will be "hard to root for".

There's a promo image for "Avengers NOW!" that, along with the new Cap, Superior Iron Man & female Thor, includes Medusa, Scarlet Witch (hardly a surprise considering Avengers: Age of Ultron), Doctor Strange (again, as he's meant to be featured in the MCU Phase 3 this isn't a surprise), Ant-Man, Winter Soldier, Angela, Inferno (from Inhuman) & Deathlok - all of whom are meant to be playing more prominent roles in the Marvel Universe in 2015.

So there you go. Thoughts?

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:09 pm 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

Yeah saw some of that too. I must say I do like the new FalCap outfit though.
Turns out new Thor definitely isn't Angela then, so I'm sticking with the Jane Foster guess until I hear different.

I do agree with some comments the build-ups to New Cap and death of Wolverine have been built up to, but I can't see for the life of me what has occurred in Thor recently to suggest the turn to unworthiness. Only the Broxton thing points towards it, but that seemed to be rounded off. Maybe events in the Original Sin mini and the 25th issue will shed some light.

The Avengers NOW line-up is definitely the most diverse I've seen, could be very interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:53 pm 
Knight

256 total thanks.
Say thanks

I like how they show Thor wearing that destroyer arm which is a result of Uncanny Avengers events as well as being a part of King Thor from the far future, but what happens to him is he still called Thor ? Maybe Ros/Roz the SHIELD agent might be the next Thor ? And any idea on who the Deathlock is, I know he's recently introduced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:13 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

That is a nice picture of the character formerly known as Thor who still technically should be & probably will be called Thor!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:12 pm 
Marquis

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

"You are no longer worthy to be called Thor - thee shall now be called John! Or Johnny if you prefer, though I would advise against it unless the Human Torch dies again."

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW