Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )



All times are UTC [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:29 am 
Duke
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:03 pm
Posts: 9456
Location: Up north, England

Thanked 5 times for this post.
13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
psyco wrote:
the "advanced" rule book, thats the 171 pages long one, how are you supposed to use it?

The current Comprehensive Rules contain EVERYTHING you'll need to know to be a rules lawyer. It's a different thing if you want to be a good player though.

psyco wrote:
for instance, i used "Rise from the Grave" to summon my brothers sacrificed "Plated Slagwurm", due to card limit restrictions, we didn't really know what do to but i argued that "Deathgreeters" ability wasn't active while it is in the graveyard or library my brother agreed so i won the game.

Not sure what you're meaning by "card limit restrictions", but RftG has no interaction with Deathgreeter. RftG returns a creature card from the Graveyard to the Battlefield, Deathgreeter only triggers when a creature is put into the graveyard from the Battlefield.

Also, creature's triggered abilities are generally only active when they are in play. If a creature card is in your hand, in the graveyard, exiled, etc. the triggered abilities do not trigger unless the card specifically says otherwise.

psyco wrote:
theres been many other disagreements too, generally surrounding "Drudge Skeletons", "Wall of Bone" and "Twisted Abomination" regenerate ability. but thats mainly because its crazy powerful, are the regenerate costs always that low?

Regenerate is good but not that good. Regenerate basically means "the next time this creature would be destroyed, remove all damage from it, tap it & remove it from combat". Anything that gives it 0 or less toughness or removes it from the game will nullify the regen ability. There are also a number of kill cards that specify that the creature can't be regenerated.

psyco wrote:
lastly, have you seen this? pretty ironic considering i asked if they had evolutionary creatures a few posts ago, you dont get new art or a creature name, but the effect is the same.

Yep, like I said - the Level Up ability is brand new for this set. I'm hoping it's a one off because it just feels awkward but I could see it becoming a Magic staple ability.

_________________
Image


 Profile WWW  
 

 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:35 am 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:38 am
Posts: 53
Location: N. London, UK

Thanked 7 times for this post.
196 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
Spaced wrote:
If you want some decks for beginners then go for the Core Set Intro Decks, easy to understand & lots of cards that can be used in other decks at a later date.


are they going to reprint the m10, or are they still in print? cause nearly everywhere is sold out, i would have thought they would have supported it till the next one is out, at least. im amazed how well these things sell.

Spaced wrote:
The current Comprehensive Rules contain EVERYTHING you'll need to know to be a rules lawyer. It's a different thing if you want to be a good player though.


different how? i just started and i dont know anyone who could be a rule lawyer, except me, and there are no premier or mass market retailers in my area. so finding other people is going to be a challenge, im completely fine just being a small time hobbyist however i would like to play the game properly if im going to play it at all.

Spaced wrote:
Not sure what you're meaning by "card limit restrictions", but RftG has no interaction with Deathgreeter. RftG returns a creature card from the Graveyard to the Battlefield, Deathgreeter only triggers when a creature is put into the graveyard from the Battlefield.


actually, i was comparing Plated Slagwurms ability to Deathgreeters, and that they need to be on the field to have the ability active.
card limit restriction refers to the fact that if you have 7+ cards at the end of your turn you have to discard one.

Spaced wrote:
Regenerate is good but not that good. Regenerate basically means "the next time this creature would be destroyed, remove all damage from it, tap it & remove it from combat". Anything that gives it 0 or less toughness or removes it from the game will nullify the regen ability. There are also a number of kill cards that specify that the creature can't be regenerated.


for instance "Serrated Arrows" would destroy the creature with one "charge"? if so, wheres that in the comprehensive rule guide?

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=202280

_________________
Image


 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:37 pm 
Duke
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:03 pm
Posts: 9456
Location: Up north, England

Thanked 4 times for this post.
13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
psyco wrote:
are they going to reprint the m10, or are they still in print? cause nearly everywhere is sold out, i would have thought they would have supported it till the next one is out, at least. im amazed how well these things sell.

No, I can't see them doing reprints of Intro Decks. For those there'll be a big initial run then once it's gone, it's gone. The next Core Set, M11, is due mid-July.

psyco wrote:
different how? i just started and i dont know anyone who could be a rule lawyer, except me, and there are no premier or mass market retailers in my area. so finding other people is going to be a challenge, im completely fine just being a small time hobbyist however i would like to play the game properly if im going to play it at all.

I just meant that it's okay knowing the theory for a Q&A but there are many aspects of the game that aren't in the rules that you can only become adept in through playing. For instance, knowing when to play cards to gain the most advantage, the element of bluff, recognising & using combat tricks.

psyco wrote:
actually, i was comparing Plated Slagwurms ability to Deathgreeters, and that they need to be on the field to have the ability active.
card limit restriction refers to the fact that if you have 7+ cards at the end of your turn you have to discard one.

Right, sorry, got you now. Yeah, any permanent's (creature, enchantment, artifact, land, planeswalker) abilities only apply when it is in play unless the card specifically says otherwise.

psyco wrote:
for instance "Serrated Arrows" would destroy the creature with one "charge"? if so, wheres that in the comprehensive rule guide?

That's right, if the number of -1/-1 counters reduces the creature's Toughness to 0 then it dies & can't be regenerated.

This is covered in the section regarding State-Based Effects & this is the relevant rule:

420.5b A creature with toughness 0 or less is put into its owner's graveyard. Regeneration can't replace this event.

_________________
Image


 Profile WWW  
 

 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:31 pm 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:38 am
Posts: 53
Location: N. London, UK

Thanked 4 times for this post.
196 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
Spaced wrote:
A bit of basics: every year there is one Core set (lots of basic building block type of cards) and three Block sets (more advanced cards with new mechanics). The Intro Decks for the Core sets are always mono coloured and the Block sets are two coloured.


i found this link, it says that the m10 decks are multi-coloured, the deck check list supports this, although, its not a 50/50 split like the others, more like 75/25. so im guessing the m11 set will follow a similar pattern? when will they release the deck lists for RotE and m11?

also, their are a few decks from block sets that include 3, 4 and even 5 colour, decks. acording to this list

_________________
Image


 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:45 am 
Duke
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:03 pm
Posts: 9456
Location: Up north, England

Thanked 6 times for this post.
13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
psyco wrote:
i found this link, it says that the m10 decks are multi-coloured, the deck check list supports this, although, its not a 50/50 split like the others, more like 75/25. so im guessing the m11 set will follow a similar pattern? when will they release the deck lists for RotE and m11?

also, their are a few decks from block sets that include 3, 4 and even 5 colour, decks. acording to this list

Hmm, yep - epic fail on my part :)

Still too used to the old school theme decks where the 5 Core Set decks were mono-coloured.

When there is a theme deck with 3+ colours it's usually to highlight the mechanics of that particular set. For example, the Shards of Alara decks are all 3 colour as the set was based around 5 different 3 colour factions - Jund (BRG), Bant (WUG), Esper (WUB), Grixis (UBR) & Naya (WRG).

The deck lists for Rise of the Eldrazi are out ( http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... arcana/427 ) but M11 lists won't be released until the beginning of July.

_________________
Image


 Profile WWW  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:05 am 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:38 am
Posts: 53
Location: N. London, UK

Thanked 2 times for this post.
196 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
whats the difference between legacy and vintage? im not sure i fully understand the differences, vintage bans cards that require sub-games and gambling(like flipping a coin or rolling a die?) and legacy bans cards because they are over powered? both seem quite unfair if its one or the other, is there not a hybrid?

also, im interested in magics back catalogue of cards and i would like to play with the older stuff, like i said before. but due to the fact that cards are only in print for a short period, as you previously said, whats a good way of experimenting with cards since you cant buy boosters?

_________________
Image


 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:43 pm 
Duke
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:03 pm
Posts: 9456
Location: Up north, England

Thanked 5 times for this post.
13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
psyco wrote:
whats the difference between legacy and vintage? im not sure i fully understand the differences, vintage bans cards that require sub-games and gambling(like flipping a coin or rolling a die?) and legacy bans cards because they are over powered? both seem quite unfair if its one or the other, is there not a hybrid?

The only difference between Vintage & Legacy are the banned & restricted lists. The ante cards (which require players to gamble cards against each other) are banned in all formats as gambling in sanctioned tournaments is illegal. Coin flip cards are still legal as those just insert a random element into the game.

The banned & restricted lists simply serve to create two different card pools for the formats which require players to build decks accordingly. Here are the two lists in full for the formats:

Spoiler: show
LEGACY

Legacy decks may consist of cards from all Magic card sets, any extension of the core set and all promotional cards with the following exceptions:

cards from special sets or supplements with alternate backs, squared corners or gold borders
oversized promotional cards
silver-bordered Unglued or Unhinged cards

The following cards are banned in Legacy tournaments:

Amulet of Quoz
Ancestral Recall
Balance
Bazaar of Baghdad
Black Lotus
Black Vise
Bronze Tablet
Channel
Chaos Orb
Contract from Below
Darkpact
Demonic Attorney
Demonic Consultation
Demonic Tutor
Earthcraft
Falling Star
Fastbond
Flash
Frantic Search
Goblin Recruiter
Grim Monolith
Gush
Hermit Druid
Illusionary Mask
Imperial Seal
Jeweled Bird
Land Tax
Library of Alexandria
Mana Crypt
Mana Drain
Mana Vault
Memory Jar
Mind Twist
Mind's Desire
Mishra's Workshop
Mox Emerald
Mox Jet
Mox Pearl
Mox Ruby
Mox Sapphire
Necropotence
Oath of Druids
Rebirth
Shahrazad
Skullclamp
Sol Ring
Strip Mine
Tempest Efreet
Time Spiral
Time Vault
Time Walk
Timetwister
Timmerian Fiends
Tinker
Tolarian Academy
Vampiric Tutor
Wheel of Fortune
Windfall
Worldgorger Dragon
Yawgmoth's Bargain
Yawgmoth's Will


VINTAGE

Vintage decks may consist of cards from all Magic card sets, any extension of the core set and all promotional cards with the following exceptions:

cards from special sets or supplements with alternate backs, squared corners or gold borders
oversized promotional cards
silver-bordered Unglued or Unhinged cards

The following cards are banned in Vintage tournaments:

Amulet of Quoz
Bronze Tablet
Chaos Orb
Contract from Below
Darkpact
Demonic Attorney
Falling Star
Jeweled Bird
Rebirth
Shahrazad
Tempest Efreet
Timmerian Fiends

The following cards are restricted in Vintage tournaments (a restricted card is limited one copy per deck, including the sideboard):

Ancestral Recall
Balance
Black Lotus
Brainstorm
Burning Wish
Channel
Demonic Consultation
Demonic Tutor
Fact or Fiction
Fastbond
Flash
Frantic Search
Gifts Ungiven
Gush
Imperial Seal
Library of Alexandria
Lion’s Eye Diamond
Lotus Petal
Mana Crypt
Mana Vault
Memory Jar
Merchant Scroll
Mind’s Desire
Mox Emerald
Mox Jet
Mox Pearl
Mox Ruby
Mox Sapphire
Mystical Tutor
Necropotence
Ponder
Regrowth
Sol Ring
Strip Mine
Thirst for Knowledge
Time Vault
Time Walk
Timetwister
Tinker
Tolarian Academy
Trinisphere
Vampiric Tutor
Wheel of Fortune
Windfall
Yawgmoth’s Bargain
Yawgmoth’s Will


psyco wrote:
also, im interested in magics back catalogue of cards and i would like to play with the older stuff, like i said before. but due to the fact that cards are only in print for a short period, as you previously said, whats a good way of experimenting with cards since you cant buy boosters?

Best way is to just go on eBay and buy a bulk lot of cards from a seller. There are always loads of random lots and a couple of these can give you a good spread of older cards. That's how I started out, getting older cards in bulk & keeping up with new sets from boosters.

_________________
Image


 Profile WWW  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:42 am 
Squire

Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:33 am
Posts: 7

Thanked 4 times for this post.
25 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
Hi. I'm a PTQ-level player. I travel to events across the entire West Coast and play at ChannelFireball's storefront. I've been playing for about three to four years :P


 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:48 am 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 5:49 am
Posts: 250
Location: Philippines

Thanked 3 times for this post.
506 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
Last played right before Weatherlight was released. The game died down here in the Philippines though.

_________________
Image


 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:27 am 
Squire
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:21 am
Posts: 20

Thanked 4 times for this post.
59 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
I was a Magic player. But that was 10 years ago. I miss those matches and collecting the cards. I mostly played with Red, I had a very strong Goblin deck. Still have the cards, but nobody to play with.


 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:15 am 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 5:49 am
Posts: 250
Location: Philippines

Thanked 3 times for this post.
506 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
I hear you brother. I also have a deck with no one to play with. Maybe because my deck's the Channel-Fireball deck. I also have a White Weenie and Black Weenie, using mostly unlimited and revised edition cards. Hmmm...I wonder how much they're worth now.

_________________
Image


 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:56 pm 
Squire

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:36 am
Posts: 38

Thanked 2 times for this post.
49 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
Samurai Deck user xD :bat:

_________________
Image


 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:25 am 
Squire

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 3:58 pm
Posts: 9

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
Anyone still play here on the forum?
I play on the weekends at 2 of my local comic book stores so its pretty awesome I get to play there and in between matches read some of the latest comic books

Mostly play Standard and Limited Draft right now


 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:26 pm 
Duke
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:03 pm
Posts: 9456
Location: Up north, England

Thanked 0 times for this post.
13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
Yep, still playing three times a week - inc. usually a 12 hour session on Saturday.

Well I say "play", most of my time is spent organising & judging nowadays but try to get in on tournaments (where I have at least a semi-competitive deck) now that I'm allowed to play in my own events.

_________________
Image


 Profile WWW  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:23 pm 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:28 pm
Posts: 51
Location: Nowheresville

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
clearly this is a very old post, but i felt like saying that i do indeed play some magic. i dont like going to the card stores because alot of weirdos are there around this town, but i have a few buddies i play with. mostly i play the computer game duels of the planeswalkers to stay polished. hit me on steam if you have and want to play it. My name is currently Crump's Brother.

_________________
Det Som Engang Var


 Profile  
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: