All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a new anime!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:24 am 
Squire

Thanked 0 times for this post.
31 total thanks.
Say thanks

Hey All,

So I'm really fiending for a new anime to watch! I just finished Attack on Titan a month or so ago and it left a huge hole in my life that can't be filled with anything productive or life improving, it just cant. So I am on the search for a new anime to watch. I'm hoping there are some anime fans here, but if there aren't I understand.

I am looking for an anime that is action adventure and serial, not so down for episodic stuff. Somethin exciting, thought provoking and funny at times.

Jist of what I have seen: Most of the popular shonen. Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, but I am looking for something that is a lil deeper. Ive seen champloo, both FMA's, darker than black, fate/zero, black lagoon, trigun, ruro-ken, bebop, evangelion and the gundams. Didn't like Fairy Tail, but I am looking for something a lil more mature.

But I am really into anime that create interesting worlds or lore.

Thanks in advance!

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:41 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

If you're looking for something with a really interesting world I suggest "Code Geass" if you haven't seen it already. "Sword Art Online" is also really good if you want something deep. I'm not sure if you'd enjoy it based on what you described but I really enjoyed "Stein's;Gate" and I'd like to endorse it as much as I can. If you liked "Samurai Champloo" you might also like "Afro Samurai". Sadly there aren't too many serial shows outside of the main shonen animes out right now, at least none I've heard about.

Post subject: Re: Looking for a new anime!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:33 am 
Squire

31 total thanks.
Say thanks

Thanks a lot for responding. I've seen Code Geass, Afro and Sword Art. Although I may have to rewatch R2 because I'm a bit fuzzy on it. I started Steins Gate, I was watching the dub and I really enjoyed the voice work. The dub wasn't finished so I decided to wait, maybe I'll continue watching it in japanese.

Steins Gate is actually a good example. I'm definitely into some less action oriented anime, but I'm trying to scratch that itch right now. I've been watching Hunter X Hunter as it comes out, and what I really enjoy about it is how creative they get with the fighting. Some of the people on that show have the most interesting powers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:06 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I haven't really heard too much about Hunter X Hunter myself but I might give that a try. Some anime I forgot to mention in the first post are "Baccano" and "Soul Eater". Since you say you've seen both FMAs you'll understand when I say there's a severe deviation between the "Soul Eater" manga and anime, and while they're in synch the anime is really good but when the divide happens you'll want to jump ship and read the manga from there. "Baccano" actually has a really good English dub that makes sense since it takes place between New York and Chicago in the 1920's, and it's all up on Netflix which is convenient if you have it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:41 am 
Knight

696 total thanks.
Say thanks

Go with the classics:
Robotech
Ghost in the Shell
Angel Cop
Ninja Scroll

Okay, that last one was a movie not a series but if you haven't seen it then you aren't doing yourself any favors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:37 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

Ninja Scroll also came out as a series. I believe it was called 'Ninja Scroll The Series'.

One of my favourites is Escaflowne. Action, but not too much, drama, funny, suspense and best of all - mecha.

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:03 pm 
Squire

31 total thanks.
Say thanks

I've seen Baccano! and Soul Eater. Although I can't remember if I finished Soul eater. I haven't seen Ninja scroll, the movie or the series, so I'll check that out. Also Escaflowne is one I have been wanting to try and forgot about. Has it been remastered at all?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:40 pm 
Knight

696 total thanks.
Say thanks

Okay, I went through some older DVD series I had and thought you might like these:
Twelve Kingdoms : very dramatic with deep characters in a fantasy setting
Rune Soldier : very humorous story of dungeon raiders getting a new wizard in their group.
Robotech : just re-released with an entire epic per DVD set. Giant mecha with deep characters.
Ghost in the Shell : movie turned into series, asks what is the human spirit with Cyberpunk action.
Angel Cop: Six parter action cop drama with psionic criminals. Very gritty.
Berserk: Heavy-metal anthem follows sword and sorcery epic.
Slayers: re-released with three season in one set. Like D & D? You'll love Slayers. Very humorous.
Hikaru No Go: Shonen Jump alum about a kid learning Go from a ghost.
Outlaw Star: galactic pirates vs bounty hunters for lost civilization relic/spaceship. Good humor.

Each of these are series that I not only watched, but sought out on DVD to watch again, and again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:14 pm 
Squire

31 total thanks.
Say thanks

Dude I cant tell you how much I love Outlaw Star. That show changed the way I made lego ships forever.

I will definitely check out some of your picks. I have heard good things about Robotech. I'm a fan of Ghost in the Shell as well. Angel Cop also sounds promising, I'm always down for cyberpunk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:01 pm 
Knight

696 total thanks.
Say thanks

The thing about Robotech is it is so old it will not look as crisp as some of the other ones. But if you can watch Voltron and forgive it's age Robotech is no worse, and in most cases better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:08 am 
Knight

696 total thanks.
Say thanks

Maybe you guys can help me out here:
I saw this one anime where this high school kid gets teleported to another world where he will fulfill some prophecy and save the princess. Meanwhile, his teacher also gets teleported there and it turns out that he gets super strength when he sobers up and stops smoking. The villains were hordes of giant bugs.

What was this show? It was awesome but I can't remember the name makes it hard to track down and get the DVDs.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:49 am 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

CharlieRock wrote:
Maybe you guys can help me out here:
I saw this one anime where this high school kid gets teleported to another world where he will fulfill some prophecy and save the princess.

Ah, well it's one of about 86, here's a...

CharlieRock wrote:
Meanwhile, his teacher also gets teleported there and it turns out that he gets super strength when he sobers up and stops smoking. The villains were hordes of giant bugs.

... list... Ah. I've no idea.

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:33 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Dude! Sword Art Online is one of the best, most mature animes I have ever seen. Please check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:13 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I have never watched an Anime. Never, ever. At least not a series. I've seen a few of the Ghibli movies, and enjoyed them.

If you could only recommend a single series, what would it be? I'd prefer something on the darker side, but what's your favorite?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:08 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

If you talk about animes that were succesful in the west recently, you can't skip Attack on Titan, it's really good though a bit overhyped.

I don't watch as much anime as I used to but I am still faithful to my single favourite long running series: ONE PIECE Fo' life yo