Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Justice League vs Suicide Squad: January 2017 event
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:04 pm 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
955 total thanks.
Say thanks

Just read these great news for this crossover coming soon to DC, and I couldn't be happier
Quote:
Suicide Squad to face off against the Justice League next year
DC Comics has revealed the first major event of the publisher’s post-Rebirth comic continuity: Justice League vs. Suicide Squad.

Thanks to a blockbuster movie adaptation, the Suicide Squad is enjoying a notoriety that, it’s safe to say, they have never, ever had before. So it stands to reason that DC would want to tap into that attention with a major story arc featuring the characters. Here’s how the company’s press release describes the arc:

The day that Amanda Waller has long dreaded has finally come to pass: the Justice League has discovered the existence of Task Force X! America’s paragons of truth and justice won’t take well to a government-sponsored team of black ops super-villains (with bombs implanted in their heads), but before the Justice League can shut down the Suicide Squad, a bigger problem looms: another deadly strike team is lurking in the shadows, one that could expose dark secrets throughout the DC Universe, with ties to the hidden truths of Rebirth. Longtime enemies such as Batman and Deadshot, the Flash and Boomerang, and Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn will have to put aside their differences when an evil threat once thought lost to the DC Universe makes their return.

This writer was previously unaware of any particular enmity between Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn, but will admit that the idea of Harley and Batman having to team up in any way to get something done does intrigue her. And with this summer’s particular revelations about the nature of the current DC Universe — namely that a decade of DCU history was ripped from the timeline than none other than Doctor Manhattan of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons’ Watchmen — it’s anybody’s guess about these "hidden truths about Rebirth" that will reportedly be revealed. Not to mention the nature of this other "deadly strike team."

Justice League vs. Suicide Squad will kick off in January 2017 with six issues of the main title, Justice League vs. Suicide Squad, as well as prelude and tie-in stories in ongoing Suicide Squad and Justice League books. Writers Joshua Williamson and Tim Seeley, as well as artists Jason Fabok and Tony S. Daniel are on board for the arc.

"This is a great opportunity to remind fans that, outside of Batman, the DC Universe isn’t aware that Task Force X or Amanda Waller even exists," Williamson said in a press release. "To ultimately bring these villains to light for the entire DC Universe to see should make future Suicide Squad stories that much more interesting. And by the end of the story, both teams may discover that they have more in common than they thought, whether they like it or not."

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:04 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

Interesting news. I too will be looking forward to this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:12 am 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

I, too, was unaware of any longtime animosity between Harley Quinn and Wonder Woman... I mean, Wondy appeared in one issue of Harley's New 52 ongoing...?

If anyone, she's a longtime enemy of Batman...

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:29 pm 
Knight

955 total thanks.
Say thanks

More details emerged today regarding the release dates and number of issues. It appears its going to be a weekly series.

Quote:

The series will kick off this December and consist of six issues, two of which will debut in December, and four of which will come out in January. The crossover event, which has been in the works for some time, will also incorporate “Suicide Squad” #9 and #10, as well as “Justice League” #12 and #13 in January. According to The Wall Street Journal, “The story will revolve around Batman questioning the need for Waller’s Task Force X in a world where the Justice League already exists,” though it will also see the two factions unite against a common enemy. Writer Joshua Williamson, of “The Flash” fame, revealed that the series would do its best to do service to both teams’ many dynamic characters, as well as introduce Suicide Squad’s newest member, Killer Frost. “Do you believe in second chances? I think that’s a big part of what Rebirth has been about,” Williamson said, hinting at the series’s focus on redemption.

Rebirth was DC’s attempt to draw in readers who felt alienated by their 2011 New 52 relaunch. DC’s Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns compared the initiative to Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which drew attention away from the franchise’s regrettable prequels:

“It has the spirit of Star Wars, it feels like a Star Wars movie. Probably the first Star Wars movie that’s felt like a Star Wars movie in a long, long time. That’s a perfect example of what I think ‘Rebirth’ is — a celebration, but it doesn’t mean we’re just going backwards. It’s an echo of the past, but looking to the future. That’s what I want to do with this.”

With the outstanding success of Rebirth thus far, DC hopes to maintain high sales and interest in the initiative as it wears on. Big quarterly events, of which Justice League vs. Suicide Squad is the first, have been designed to sustain readership. It’s also notable that this series will debut sandwiched between the cinematic premieres of Suicide Squad and Justice League, respectively. Though the comics arm of DC is kept completely separate from the DCEU, this apt timing may offer fans the opportunity to feel fully immersed in all things DC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:29 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

"apt timing". Yes it sounds like it is.

"Big quarterly events". This could be good, if the events are well written and flow naturally from the universe like JL vs SS, or could be bad - can anyone say Millenium Giants?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:46 pm 
Knight

955 total thanks.
Say thanks

DC announces complete art line-up for Justice League vs Suicide Squad,
Quote:
While Rebirth seems to be a hit with fans and retailers, DC can’t just sit around heaving a sigh of relief. So in December they’re rolling out Justive League vs Suicide Squad, an event/crossover/battle royale starring Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Amanda Waller, Harley Quinn, Deadshot and so on. Joshua Williamson is writing this tale.

The weekly miniseries will feature a lineup of artists who “perfectly capture the kind of widescreen, blockbuster style action that’s only fitting for this kind of epic story. A new artist will handle each sure-to-be-epic issue, and here’s the complete line-up:

Issue #1 (Dec. 21): Jason Fabok (JUSTICE LEAGUE: DARKSEID WAR, DETECTIVE COMICS)
Issue #2 (Dec. 28_ Tony S. Daniel (Batman, Deathstroke)
Issue #3: Jesus Merino (JUSTICE LEAGUE, THE NEW 52: FUTURES END, SUPERMAN)
Issue #4: Fernando Pasarin (BATMAN & ROBIN ETERNAL, BATGIRL, ACTION COMICS)
Issue #5: Robson Rocha (GREEN LANTERNS, EARTH 2: WORLD’S END)
Issue #6: Howard Porter (SCOOBY APOCALYPSE, JUSTICE LEAGUE 3000)

Source: the beat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:26 pm 
Duke

1,300 total thanks.
Say thanks

Not the most inspiring line-up of artists, and changing artist with each issue is unlikely to produce a classic.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:28 pm 
Knight

955 total thanks.
Say thanks

Lee Kirby Oswald wrote:
Not the most inspiring line-up of artists, and changing artist with each issue is unlikely to produce a classic.

Sorry to disagree with you on this one. I think they are the finest artists in DC's arsenal at the moment. Plus they have similar styles as well (except for Howard Porter), so you wont fell the difference between issues. And it might become a classic if the writing was as good as the art :-) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:02 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I've got to be honest, I'm really enjoying this - more so than the current Bryan Hitch Justice League.

In fact, I'm very much considering dropping Hitch's JL in favour of Justixe League of America once it starts. A shame, as I really loved Geoff Johns New 52 Justice League, but but the Rebirth Justice League has been a bit "Meh" so far. :/

Post subject: Re: Justice League vs Suicide Squad: January 2017 event
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:22 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I haven’t started reading these yet but they sound awesome and filled with a lot of story. Are they any good so far?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:35 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

The series was actually a year ago, but yes I thought it was a pretty good take on both teams, along with hangers on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:09 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I really enjoyed this series. Batman's no nonsense approach vs. The Suicide Squads almost comical approach to solving and stopping the "Bad Guys". Made for some good story-telling and the artwork was great. Good clean lines..