All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:31 pm 
Squire

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Hi,
well since, no one has mentioned this one already here it is, and btw, first new topic ever for me (totally not panicking right now)

So, what is Jojo ? It's an old manga, started in 87, and still running today, spanning a little more than a hundred volumes... for now. The first volume and the last do not have a lot in common since it's now starting the 8th sub-serie with a whole new set of characters, scenery and all.

So, since 87 there has been 7 complete series of Jojo (above is the last one), each has had it's own charismatic hero and other characters, charismatic as well, and all with a very distinct atmosphere. While the first has more to do with a horror novel with it's vampires and all, the second could be Hokuto no Ken's little brother, another is a little bit Westerny, another is a little bit Prison Breaky... So whatever you like, you're very likely to find it here!

But what is to be remembered? Basically that : it's THE source of inspiration for everything Japan has been producing since (yes, I'm exaggerating on purpose, but it's not that far-fetched) going from Street Fighter to Hunter X Hunter or Shin Megami Tensei Persona. Jojo has simply been one of the most popular series in Japan for the last two decades and a half.
(If you know the beautiful language that is the French one, please read this article
Code:
http://lazyexperiments.wordpress.com/2009/08/19/jojos-bizarre-adventure/
which is a hundred times better written than mine. Or you can watch the pictures which show very clearly where Dahlsim, Guile, Rose [...] Hisoka and Josuke (HxH) come from).

You can add some of the most thrilling and intelligent fights the shonen genre has spawned (aaaah Stands!), great graphics with impossible body position (...hmm well, you'll see for yourself), amazing music references (behold : Polnareff kicking the shit out of Vanilla Ice), and all sorts of stunning and cool things you'll have to discover for yourself.

This manga is unfortunately almost impossible to find at least for the first 50 volumes, You may find the other volumes in shops, depending on which part of the world you are in, so I hope you do.

Hope you'll have fun reading this wonderful shonen, I know I did. :)

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:33 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I think the concept of the game/anime was great but they needed to dive deeper into it because it failed to KEEP my attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:47 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Agreed, it was good at first but it seemed a bit repetitive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:59 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

i love this series. i have read Part 3,5,6 . currently reading 4 and 8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:49 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm reading Steel Ball Run and it's lots of fun. I reckon this is the first manga/anime with the concept of spirit doubles as the source of combat powers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:00 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

It may be cliche, but part 2 is my favorite. Gotta love Joseph.