Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:52 pm 
Duke

Thanked 0 times for this post.
2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

only1 wrote:
I think that's one of the inherent problems of Iron Man in the 21st century. Modular armor in the 90's, like when the Hulkbuster armor first came out, stuff he added on to his "normal" armor to enhance it, was so far ahead for what he could do back then. But for today's era, when we all have essentially computers in our pockets WHAT could the tech savant of Marvel do to be "ahead of his time?"

answer? Not much. Technology has advanced at such a rate that after Extremis put the armor inside the man, About the only thing I can think of for Tony to do would be digitize his consciousness (already done that) and keep his body in a central location and just transfer his consciousness from armor to armor as needed. And, frankly, as a reader that is a dumb idea. Hell, I'd be MUCH more interested in him contracting cancer or something from the changes he's made to his body and that his body rejects any technology implanted so that he MUST use factory machine produced armors.

he is shown to do just that,in Iron Man: Execute Program,where he was able to activate and control several armors at the same time with his mind,he could also trick Spider-Man's spider-sense,a healing factor that could challenge Wolverine's and other stuff that made him overpowered beyond belief

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:38 pm 
Knight

549 total thanks.
Say thanks

that explains it for me... I found that story boring and stopped reading it after 1/2 an issue :-P

just couldn't get into it no matter how hard I tried...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:19 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

only1 wrote:
Hell, I'd be MUCH more interested in him contracting cancer or something from the changes he's made to his body and that his body rejects any technology implanted so that he MUST use factory machine produced armors.

That's been kinda done too. Back in the early 90s they had him suffer degenerative nerve damge from the interface he was using to control the armour.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:59 pm 
Knight

283 total thanks.
Say thanks

What about finding real writers, who know how to - i dont know - write stuff , which would surprise and sometimes even inspire us or something?

Because feels like we are stuck with repeating things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:20 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

IM is a bizarre one. He's a fantasy tech hero but real life tech seems to be advancing at a faster rate than he can keep ahead of (at least in so far as writers are concerned). That then brings it down to the character of Tony Stark.

And I'm sorry but Extremis and Civil War characterised him as such a **** that I just lost interest in him totally. Follow it up with the amnesia reboot (and seriously, fuck off - that was a reboot) after CW and it just nailed down my disinterest even more.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:45 am 
Knight

283 total thanks.
Say thanks

I want to add there, if you allow me, that much of what Star Trek and Dr. Who did in the 70. in the terms of sci fi is just done in comics like IM today.

What happened, that we are stuck that much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:57 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Don't know if it's still in effect but Marvel used to have a "5 year rule" for comics. They judged that the majority of the reader base would change after 5 years so they could use the same storylines again for a new audience.

To be fair though, there are only so many viable plots for any ongoing story. Maybe it's just that things have overtaken IM & Stark just isn't that interesting of a character any more?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Iron Man General Discussion
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:17 am 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

I think the problem with most mainstream characters is that they're old and exhausted narrative-wise,Iron Man is going to be 50 come march,he like many characters his age can't have an original adventure anymore because they already had something similar happen to them at one point or another in their career,and by 50+ years they've pretty much done everything there is,so all that is left for them to do is to relive their glory days by recycling their old stories

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:55 am 
Knight

135 total thanks.
Say thanks

Spaced wrote:
IM is a bizarre one. He's a fantasy tech hero but real life tech seems to be advancing at a faster rate than he can keep ahead of (at least in so far as writers are concerned). That then brings it down to the character of Tony Stark.

And I'm sorry but Extremis and Civil War characterised him as such a **** that I just lost interest in him totally. Follow it up with the amnesia reboot (and seriously, fuck off - that was a reboot) after CW and it just nailed down my disinterest even more.

After Civil War I dropped his comics, and I had been reading them for about 6 months prior to the CW, haven't looked back since. He was villianized and made such a prick I wanted nothing to do with his comics and have no interest now.

to combat evil with all Green Lantern's might!"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:05 am 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

yeah you can pretty much thank the movie for saving his shiny metal ass and making him fan favorite again

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:18 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Lex Talionis wrote:
yeah you can pretty much thank the movie for saving his shiny metal ass and making him fan favorite again

"fan favourite"? Forced fave I'd go for. IM was and still is a mid-range seller as far as comics go.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:53 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm sorry but wtf now? IM is having his origin retconned so that he only gained his intelligence & creativity because he was genetically altered as a child by an alien robot?

:-?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:42 pm 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

didn't Tony become super-smart because his dad kept pushing his cerebral limits since he could walk ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:51 am 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

Ultimate Tony Stark's entire muscle structure was brain tissue...

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:47 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

As much as I love Gillen's writing, The Secret Origin of Tony Stark has just been completely uninteresting. I'm really hoping it gets better when he gets back to earth, but holy heck, I just do not care that Tony was chosen by a centuries old robot to save the human race. It makes the character just a little bit more bull schlock. Why can't there be a genius in the Marvel universe who designs armor of his own design? Why make it necessary that he had implants in the womb? I just do not care for it at all and hopefully it gets written out sometime down the road.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next