Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ipad help please
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:37 pm 
Serf

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks

hello I enjoy comics & graphic novels but due to a lack of space I tend to just buy them second hand when I see them at bootsales ,but if i find a subject I like (such as The walking dead) I would be keen to collect the full set & to keep them to read over. So I have been thinking about getting a tablet & looking on this site the ipad seems to be the weapon of choice for most people. My questions are A:as I am not very pc orientated will an ipad be pretty easy to load & read comics on B:will a 16GB ipad store a lot of comics ? & C:should I go for the new ipad3 or save £100 & get the ipad2 that argos & Tesco seem to be selling off ?
hope you guys can help me
Thanks....Campbell :goblin:

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:11 am 
Knight

92 total thanks.
Say thanks

If you're looking for the easiest way, you get Comixology on your iPad and you get the Walking Dead that way. You do need to re-purchase your books though.
There are other great apps out there (like Comic Zeal) but those require you actually having your own digital copies of the comics, and synching isn't a one-click-solution (with Comic Zeal, for example, you need to upload to your dropbox, which needs to be installed on your iPad and then sync.)

That's why I don't think digital comic distribution is there just yet and continue with the purchased paper copies. For now, unless you go with the official channel for a specific title (Walking Dead and Comixology, in this case) they make you jump through hoops which usually involve something illegal; which I don't condone.

As far as new iPad vs. iPad 2: for me, the new screen is enough to justify purchasing the new iPad. The retina screen resolution is fantastic. The new one also goes up to 64GB models, which I don't believe exist for the iPad 2.
There are technical improvements as far as processor/speed is concerned, better cameras, a newer bluetooth protocol and 4G radio, if you live in an area that has coverage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:12 am 
Serf

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:06 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

thats why you dont get an apple

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:21 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I have a first generation iPad and have found no problem with managing my comics on it. Comixology is the app to buy if you're looking to update and download comics. There are other apps out there for reading digital comic variants such as ComicBookLover (tricky to find on the app store so go to their website!) which is available for both iPhone and iPad.
Although there are more sleeker-looking applications, this has been updated to allow you to wirelessly connect to your Dropbox account but also allows you to update your comics via iTunes in a very simple way.
I wouldn't buy a new iPad just for reading comics, I'd buy one for the diverse functionality it offers and go for the latest one with the largest space (only because I'm an App junkie!).
With ComicBookLover, I usually just manage the comics I read by uploading ones that I want to read and removing (off the iPad) the ones that I have completed. In reading your first comment Campbell, I'm in agreement with nudelz and say use the Comixology approach although a part of me would scream to you that it's got to be cheaper buying them on the Amazon Marketplace in hard copy. The first 48 issues are going for about £25 in the Compendium version...otherwise, wait until Comixology does the 50p an issue sale on it.