Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )



All times are UTC [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Help me choose a new TV
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:33 am 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:30 pm
Posts: 204
Location: Thailand

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
I am moving into a new apartment tomorrow and one of the first things I will need/want is a new TV. The main use of the TV will be playing on my xbox 360.

I want to know, from you good folks with the experience, if I should go LCD, LED or plasma. I hear that LCD and LED have sharper image quality but plasma has smoother motion, however plasma has been known for the risk of latent image burn on the screen which could be an issue with static HUDs in games. This is the basic crux of my dilemma, all of the other stuff like full HD, 3D capable, 100Hz up scanning rate, screen size, etc I can figure out.

So please weigh in with your personal experience or tech-savvy knowledge to help me make an informed decision: LCD, LED or plasma TV for gaming?


 Profile  
 

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:22 pm 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:39 am
Posts: 127
Location: England

Thanked 0 times for this post.
134 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
I have a Samsung 40" LCD tv that is used with an xbox 360. I have had the tv for a couple of years and so far I am very happy with it. The only thing that could be improved are the speakers, they are rear facing and as my hearing is not so good I have to have the volume turned up quite high. I have not not noticed and problems with motion. I have never owned a plasma tv so I cannot really compare the two. But in general I am very happy with the Samsung.


 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re: Help me choose a new TV
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:01 pm 
Count
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:50 pm
Posts: 3722
Location: Israel (Formly Russia)

Thanked 0 times for this post.
2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
I owned Plasma,LCD and LED TV's in the past,and I've come to the conclusion that it makes no visual difference overall

right now 90% of TV's sold are LED

just a tip: don't bother with the so called "Smart 3D Wi-Fi TVs" as 3D films don't look as good as they do in the theater,and the web browsing is super shitty

a decent 42" or larger LED HDTV without any bells or whistles + Android-powered TV Box like the G-Box Midnight should suffice

_________________
Image


 Profile WWW  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:28 am 
Count
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:05 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Thanked 0 times for this post.
3,874 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
I like my new 40" LED tv.. I had a 40" LCD, and I think the picture is actually better on the LED tv. I don't know if that has to do anything with the fact that my LED is 120Hz whereas my LCD was 60hz. :shrug: My LED tv also runs a lot cooler. You could've fried an egg on the top of the LCD after a couple hours..

One suggestion though, do plenty of price checking. I checked Best Buy online andd found the TV I liked, Westinghouse 40" LED tv for $329. When I went to the store, it was $419. Mentioned that it was online for nearly $100 less so they matched it. Apparently someone didn't change all the signs like they were supposed to.

_________________
Image


 Profile WWW  
 

 Post subject: Re: Help me choose a new TV
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:27 pm 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:30 pm
Posts: 204
Location: Thailand

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
captainandy wrote:
I have a Samsung 40" LCD tv that is used with an xbox 360. I have had the tv for a couple of years and so far I am very happy with it. The only thing that could be improved are the speakers, they are rear facing and as my hearing is not so good I have to have the volume turned up quite high. I have not not noticed and problems with motion. I have never owned a plasma tv so I cannot really compare the two. But in general I am very happy with the Samsung.


I've heard that built-in speakers can sometimes be a let down. Cheers for the heads up, as that'll be another factor I shall keep in mind when making my choice.

Lex Talionis wrote:
I owned Plasma,LCD and LED TV's in the past,and I've come to the conclusion that it makes no visual difference overall

right now 90% of TV's sold are LED

just a tip: don't bother with the so called "Smart 3D Wi-Fi TVs" as 3D films don't look as good as they do in the theater,and the web browsing is super shitty

a decent 42" or larger LED HDTV without any bells or whistles + Android-powered TV Box like the G-Box Midnight should suffice


Plasma still seems popular in Thailand. Loads of the models in the stores are plasma, which surprised me as I thought the technology was being left behind.

Problem is in all the stores through Thailand they seem to be almost exclusively pushing 3D, online smart TVs - LED, LCD and plasma. I'm not really looking for 3D as it doesn't particularly appeal to me - even at the cinema I'd choose a 2D version over the same in 3D - and I'm happy leaving web-browsing to my laptop. The Thai stores seem to believe that these options are necessary, however, so that's all they're stocking - which is a pain.

impulse wrote:
I like my new 40" LED tv.. I had a 40" LCD, and I think the picture is actually better on the LED tv. I don't know if that has to do anything with the fact that my LED is 120Hz whereas my LCD was 60hz. :shrug: My LED tv also runs a lot cooler. You could've fried an egg on the top of the LCD after a couple hours..

One suggestion though, do plenty of price checking. I checked Best Buy online andd found the TV I liked, Westinghouse 40" LED tv for $329. When I went to the store, it was $419. Mentioned that it was online for nearly $100 less so they matched it. Apparently someone didn't change all the signs like they were supposed to.


Cheers for the note on LCD running hot. That's something I'd definitely need to look out for in a climate like this.
As for the price checking, I would have gone through all the online options back in the UK but out here I wouldn't know which websites are best (or legit) to check. As for physical stores there only seems to be the one real option that stocks a wide selection, which is Power Buy, so I don't know who else to compare them to. I do know that at the end of this month there will be a massive Power Buy sale at the BITEC exhibition centre, which may be where I head to find deals.


 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 pm 
Serf

Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:04 am
Posts: 2

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
LED are all the rage these days for their supposedly brighter colors. LCD will work just as fine. I have an LG 32" LCD TV that works beautifully. The colors don't bleed and are very vibrant. I would invest in a sound system though. Most LCD/LED TVs come with pretty poor speakers.


 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:10 am 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:30 pm
Posts: 204
Location: Thailand

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
hoangtruong33 wrote:
LED are all the rage these days for their supposedly brighter colors. LCD will work just as fine. I have an LG 32" LCD TV that works beautifully. The colors don't bleed and are very vibrant. I would invest in a sound system though. Most LCD/LED TVs come with pretty poor speakers.


Both you and captainandy mentioned built-in speakers being sub-par. I shall have to keep that in mind. Cheers for the advice.


 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:20 pm 
Serf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:40 am
Posts: 2

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
Go for the LED because LCD and Plasma are out of date and you can't even find replacement parts for them. But if you’re looking for a cheap option Plasma is the one to buy.


 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:54 am 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:30 pm
Posts: 409
Location: Houston, TX, USA

Thanked 0 times for this post.
730 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
We have a 55" LG LED and I absolutely love the picture quality. Gaming looks great on it, at least coming out of the XBOX 360 with the HDMI cable.

_________________
Image


 Profile WWW  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:50 am 
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:30 pm
Posts: 204
Location: Thailand

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks


Offline
Cheers for all of the advice. Turns out the question of what TV to buy was made moot by my boss giving me a 51" plasma that used to be in our offices. It isn't great - I notice some minor screen burn just from leaving it on the Xbox home screen for a short time - but I can't argue with the price.


 Profile  
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: